HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Oh, Disney hasn't had free reign up to this point?
Curse those Skywalkers for ruining Star Wars, if it wasn't for them...

What exactly do you expect out of this franchise?
-Deep intellectual religious exploration starring dozens of troubled DEI characters not knowing if they're good, bad or misunderstood?
-Lasers/lightsabers/space battle pew pew, with a cast of potential movie legends involved in traditionally successful themes of good/evil/family/salvation?

I prefer the latter, but if this is "evolution" so be it. Kind of like getting healthy food from McDonalds.

SW was a haven for "nerds" who never got any and could escape into the basic lore.
And they were always welcoming of anyone (race/gender/species/etc.) sharing their fandom.
Easy limp-wristed prey for the new enlightened SW "fandom".

Now it's breaking the patriarchy, Skywalker fan service, oppressed Sith, conservative (racist maybe?) Jedi.

As I said above, have fun with it and it's certainly amazing viewership.
I wish all the best for this once-beloved franchise.

It’s lazy to do the same thing over and over again.

Has nothing to do with “woke” at all.

It’s about trying to come up with something original for a change.

It can be a dozen white males for all I care.

“Looks like we have to go to Tatooine again. You know, the planet that no one visits because it’s the planet that is the farthest from the bright centre of the galaxy.”

“Looks like this random person is actually the Emperor’s grand daughter who now calls herself Skywalker.”

Star Wars Acolyte will end with some person leaving for Tatooine named Skywalker.

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Putting aside that this really shouldn't matter, I was seeing those comments just under the trailer because goodness me, women and non-caucasians feature prominently in this cast. The horror.
I just spent 10 minutes skimming through those comments and all that I saw were jokes, but I have heard commentary elsewhere about the absence of white males in the trailer. There's even a classroom scene with a dozen diverse younglings, but not a white boy among them. The apparent exclusion (not the inclusion) is what people are reacting to.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Beau Knows

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I just spent 10 minutes skimming through those comments and all that I saw were jokes, but I have heard commentary elsewhere about the absence of white males in the trailer. There's even a classroom scene with a dozen diverse younglings, but not a white boy among them. The apparent exclusion (not the inclusion) is what people are reacting to.
So...people are being dumb. Cool.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I see we're already headed down the path to talk about politics/diversity in a Star Wars thread :)

Honestly, it's kind of unavoidable IMO. It's part of the conversation when an IP is changed so much in terms of representation and you have the creator talking about it.

The show looks like it will be very diverse in terms of race and gender, but not very diverse in terms of character.

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
Like Ring of Power? I watched The Wheel of Time recently and thought it was good for the most part, but the characters in Ring of Power seem to be cosplaying and not acting imo
The Rings of Power was an abomination to any who hold the mythos of Middle Earth dear. The so called writers disparaging Tolkien himself took the biscuit. A bunch of mediocrities who could barely speak American English hectoring about a scholar who spoke multiple languages and whose understanding of world mythologies would be beyond their pea brains.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Do people also melt down about their being no white people in a Subaru commercial?

Reactions: Sad People

Dec 29, 2004
Are you suggesting that it isn't?
This will, of course, be the issue. I predict the ratings (read new subscriber data) will be dismal and the identity politics will be off the charts heading into the election in the fall.

So, yeah, another round of one side screaming 'homophobes!' vs. the other side screaming 'Groomers!'. Centrist Star Wars fans will be disappointed by the plot and acting, along with the political 'noise' that this nostalgia trip will generate. Very few people will actually come out of this happy.

It's ironic how divisive diversity can be...

Reactions: Osprey

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
Literally from less than an hour after the trailer went up. It's consistent. Every single time a major IP has a movie or a show that features a person of color or a woman or a woman or person of color is directing, you'll see this sort of nonsense. It would be funny if it wasn't so prevalent and ignorant.

1711171476898.png

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Literally from less than an hour after the trailer went up. It's consistent. Every single time a major IP has a movie or a show that features a person of color or a woman or a woman or person of color is directing, you'll see this sort of nonsense. It would be funny if it wasn't so prevalent and ignorant.

View attachment 840224
It genuinely makes me embarrassed to be a SW fans. Just a bunch of soft, low self esteem, fragile men who get upset with crap like this.

The "Woke Wars" truthers want to be pandered to when its incredibly ironic, they just want to be pandered to their demographic.

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
It genuinely makes me embarrassed to be a SW fans. Just a bunch of soft, low self esteem, fragile men who get upset with crap like this.

The "Woke Wars" truthers want to be pandered to when its incredibly ironic, they just want to be pandered to their demographic.
I just don't understand how literally someone gets to the point where literally anything with a lead that isn't a white person breaks their brain and they instantly don't like it. Just from seeing two minutes of it.

What a sad life to live really.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
I just don't understand how literally someone gets to the point where literally anything with a lead that isn't a white person breaks their brain and they instantly don't like it. Just from seeing two minutes of it.

What a sad life to live really.
I was watching a live stream of a YTer break down the trailer and most of their chat consisted of "Woke Wars" "Theres no white people" "Theres no men" "Its all women" BS. Just brain dead people who are parroting things they think should be said. People cant think for themselves nowadays.

I could care less who or whats in the shows or movies i just want good SW and we havent been getting that.

The trailer didnt really get me excited for the show but im waiting till i can atleast see the show before making a judgement on whether its a bad show or not. The "woke wars" crowds opinion has already been made up in my mind, the show show could be bad*** and a incredibly good and well written but it will still be "bad SW" or "woke wars" because it isnt pandering to their specific demegraph or have people from a marganilized group in it. Its not like they have enough intelligence or emotional intellgence to watch it and have their opinion be swayed because of the show and not who they are watching.

Reactions: SmytheKing

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
You're parroting what youtubers are saying here ie. the classroom scene.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Are you suggesting that it isn't?
Separating this from the typical diversified casting choices you see these days, do you think you'd have any inkling of such a thing if you just watched the show without any external input? Also, isn't this something that's always been in the industry? The creative film maker and such have their own life experiences that make its way into their work that the general audience won't notice and is meant more for film students & buffs. The difference today is obviously as you can see here they can be open about it, and of course you have a whole industry of 'content' creators putting out work to analyze these things either to praise it or to get angry at it.

Like I just started watching X-Men 97 today, I'd imagine without prior context you show that to certain people today and there'd be cries of "woke!!!". Except this is a continuation of a show from the 90's, for a comic book and characters from the 70's. It

And as for casting checking imdb yes there's a white guy in the trailer: the wookie.

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
Star Wars Acolyte will end with some person leaving for Tatooine named Skywalker.
Yeah I don't understand the whole 'we're getting away from the Skywalker stuff'.

It's a prequel just a 100 years before the OT, do people really think there is not gonna be OT nods in this?

Tell me when we get something set a significant time AFTER the OT. Edit: And I also mean significantly after the sequel trilogy as well since that was executed poorly.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I was watching a live stream of a YTer break down the trailer and most of their chat consisted of "Woke Wars" "Theres no white people" "Theres no men" "Its all women" BS. Just brain dead people who are parroting things they think should be said. People cant think for themselves nowadays.

I could care less who or whats in the shows or movies i just want good SW and we havent been getting that.

The trailer didnt really get me excited for the show but im waiting till i can atleast see the show before making a judgement on whether its a bad show or not. The "woke wars" crowds opinion has already been made up in my mind, the show show could be bad*** and a incredibly good and well written but it will still be "bad SW" or "woke wars" because it isnt pandering to their specific demegraph or have people from a marganilized group in it. Its not like they have enough intelligence or emotional intellgence to watch it and have their opinion be swayed because of the show and not who they are watching.
Did they take exception to any blue people?

Like I just started watching X-Men 97 today, I'd imagine without prior context you show that to certain people today and there'd be cries of "woke!!!". Except this is a continuation of a show from the 90's, for a comic book and characters from the 70's. It
There's actually been that.
And as for casting checking imdb yes there's a white guy in the trailer: the wookie.

More like WOKEie!

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Won’t be watching this woke dumpster juice show. Embarrassing they have a Weinstein enabler as producer. But that’s besides the point.

The fact that Kennedy has been on record saying the Acolyte will be based on her own and other lesbian life experiences rather than about exploring a universe without the Skywalker saga in it for the first time in live action Star Wars is a massive disappointment and everything wrong today about Disney.

• Haha

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Won’t be watching this woke dumpster juice show. Embarrassing they have a Weinstein enabler as producer. But that’s besides the point.

The fact that Kennedy has been on record saying the Acolyte will be based on her own and other lesbian life experiences rather than about exploring a universe without the Skywalker saga in it for the first time in live action Star Wars is a massive disappointment and everything wrong today about Disney.
It's Headland who said that, but I guess the point remains. I'm not really sure what that means and she/they may not either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad