The AAA 2011 Draft

Rob Scuderi

Sep 3, 2009
QuadCityMallards9596.GIF

With our first pick, the Quad City Mallards select C Mike Walton.

160484.jpg

(Profile somewhat shamelessly taken from Billy, thanks Billy)

x1 NHL All-Star Game (1968)
x1 WHA 2nd All-Star Team
x1 WHA Bill Hunter Trophy
2x Stanley Cup Champion

x1 NHL Top 10 Goals (9th)
x2 WHA Top 10 Goals (1st, 7th)
x1 WHA Top 10 Assists (4th)
x1 NHL Top 10 Assists Per Game (10th)
x2 WHA Top 10 Points (1st, 10)
x1 Led NHL Shooting % (77-78)

281 points in 211 career WHA games
448 points in 588 career NHL games

Mike Walton was best known as "Shakey" a nickname that he inherited after his father, a hockey star in his own right back in England who would shake his head to deke out an opponent. Young Mike was blessed with the same great skill set, and probably better. After all, he went on to become a Stanley Cup champion.

Mike was selected by Los Angeles Sharks in the 1972 WHA general draft, his rights were then traded to the Minnesota Fighting Saints. Minnesota managed to lure Mike over to the WHA and he was an instant hit, leading the league with 117 pts (57+60). He also led the league in playoff scoring (10 goals), making the 2nd All-Star team. The next season he had 93 pts and once again scored the most goals in the playoffs (10 goals). As most WHA clubs Minnesota ran into financial problems and eventually folded in March 1976. Mike had scored 71 pts in 58 games for Minnesota until they folded.

Mike was very good around the net, always dangerous. Longtime NHL goalie Glenn "Chico" Resch said " I've never run into anyone who's smarter around the net. He doesn't do the obvious. He comes at you a different way each time. "

His coach in Vancouver Phil Maloney described Walton. "He has good speed, especially in bursts. He makes good passes - at the right speed, to the right man, at the right time. Very alert around the net. Never turns his back on the play. "

http://mapleleafslegends.blogspot.com/2007/02/shakey-walton.html

In 1963-64, Mike Walton joined the Toronto Marlboros of the OHL and immediately established himself as a top-flight offensive forward. Among a lineup that included future NHLers Ron Ellis, Pete Stemkowski, Gary Smith, and Jim McKenny, the club banded together to secure a Memorial Cup victory by season's end.

Walton survived and after periodic stints in the CHL and AHL secured a regular shift with the Leafs. By the tail end of 1966-67, he enjoyed his first Stanley Cup victory and, by the following season, established himself as a solid NHL sniper.

After a slow start in Beantown, he gradually regained his confidence and again became a solid NHL scorer. He won his second Stanley Cup in 1972. Walton stuck with the Bruins until 1973. It was at that time that he signed with the Minnesota Fighting Saints of the WHA. There he finished his first season as the league's top scorer with 117 points in 78 games. He played one additional offensively prolific season and then returned to the NHL with the Vancouver Canucks in 1975-76.

http://www.legendsofhockey.net/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/SearchPlayer.jsp?player=14632

"To beat the Saints, we're going to have to stop Walton," Bill Dineen said Wednesday. "Not only is he a great shooter, he has breakaway speed and he's smart."

"But there's no question that Walton is the key to their success."

-Bill Dineen

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=tLoyAAAAIBAJ&sjid=xOwFAAAAIBAJ&pg=3416,1064129&dq=mike+walton&hl=en

Last edited:

Rob Scuderi

Sep 3, 2009
I was afraid to pick Semin so early, especially with the comments from Matt Bradley and Shaone Morisonn this summer. But he definitely has to be one of the best goal scoring wingers around this draft, warts and all.

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
RW Jeff O'Neill

image.php

1x NHL All Star Game Participant
3x Top 26 Goals in NHL(7, 24, 26)
17th in goals in NHL over 3-year peak(00-01 to 02-03, top 24 all selected previously)
Relevant Vs2 Goals: 76, 76, 63, 57
7th in PPG, 00-01

Jeff O'Neill comparing himself to Jason Bonsignore: "Basically the difference between Jason and I is that he's chicken and I'm not. No, seriously, Jason is more of a finesse player and I'm more aggressive."

http://oilersnation.com/2011/6/15/scouting-reports-from-days-or-yore

Sharp-shooting forward Jeff O'Neill is now a member of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

The Carolina Hurricanes sent O'Neill to the Maple Leafs as part of a draft-day swap Saturday in exchange for a conditional fourth-round pick in the 2006 NHL draft.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2005/07/30/oneill_leafs050730.html

An explosive scorer in junior, Jeff O'Neill started slowly in the NHL but eventually came into his own with the Carolina Hurricanes. His strong skating and playmaking ability were accompanied by a nasty streak that would not allow opposing checkers to take liberties with him.

A native of Richmond Hill, Ontario, O'Neill scored 190 points in 78 games in Midget then starred for Thornhill in the MTHL. As he progressed his offensive prowess continued with 120 goals in three seasons with the Guelph Storm of the OHL. O'Neill was selected fifth overall by the Hartford Whalers at the 1994 NHL Entry Draft. He returned for one last year of junior and helped his team reach the Memorial Cup tournament. He also helped Canada win its third consecutive gold medal at the 1995 World Junior Championships.

O'Neill debuted with the Hartford Whalers in 1995-96 and remained with the franchise when it relocated to Carolina in 1997. During his first three seasons his goal total increased slowly from eight to 14 to 19. O'Neill rebounded from a 31-point season in 1998-99 with 25 goals and 63 points in 1999-00 then burst forth as one of the NHL's elite snipers with a 41-goal effort in 2000-01.

After leading Carolina to their first Stanley Cup final in franchise history in 2002, O'Neill notched his third consecutive 30 plus goal season and fourth straight 20 plus in 2002-03. Injuries limited O'Neill offensive output in 2003-04, as the former OHL star had his lowest point total since the 1998-99 season.

Following a lock out year in 2004-05, O'Neill was acquired by the Toronto Maple Leafs in the summer of 2005. Over two seasons with the Leafs, O'Neill at times found himself on the club's top line alongside Mats Sundin and was one of the Leafs most dedicated forwards. However, toward the end of the 2006-07 season O'Neill had been benched on a number of occasions after having troubles contributing offensively with the club.

http://www.legendsofhockey.net/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/SearchPlayer.jsp?player=10928

And not surprisingly, there's nothing fancy about his hockey, either; he plays a simple game of booming shots and crunching bodychecks. Simple but effective: With 72 goals over the past two seasons, O'Neill has vaulted into the ranks of the league's top young power forwards. His 13 postseason points and team-high eight goals, put together as the Hurricanes crashed the Stanley Cup finals, brought O'Neill the attention he had craved in his seven seasons in Hartford and Carolina. "You only get the attention you deserve when you win," O'Neill says. "If you're on a losing team, nobody cares about you anyway—as they shouldn't. When you start winning, that's when you get respect."

Little by little, O'Neill has assembled the elements of an elite player's game. He's proved to be consistent, with three consecutive seasons of 25-plus goals and 60-plus points. He's grown into his 6'1", 195-pound frame and become a physical force. But perhaps the strongest indicator of his development is his play on the road. Some marquee scorers struggle when, as visitors, they're forced to go head-to-head against the home team's top checkers, but O'Neill is more effective in that situation than he is playing at home. Last season O'Neill scored 20 of his 31 regular-season goals in away games, a 64-5% mark that ranked fourth in the league. Over the past three seasons he has scored 55 goals on the road, 56.7% of his total output.

"Lots of skill players don't want to go through a 60-minute game fighting like a dog for every shot, and they rely on the coach to get them a more favorable matchup so they can have an easier night," says Carolina coach Paul Maurice. "Jeff's not like that."

For O'Neill, thriving on the road begins with a streamlined approach on the ice. "We keep our game simple, a tight-checking, physical style," he says of his line, which has Ron Francis at center and Sami Kapanen at right wing. "Sometimes we get fancy at home, making passes we aren't capable of." On the road against a checking line, O'Neill's unit puts an emphasis on gaining the offensive zone and then establishing a forecheck, a hallmark of Maurice's conservative system. Because the first priority of the opponent's checking line is typically to separate the slick-passing Francis from the puck, O'Neill and Kapanen attempt to get the puck to him in one of several key spots: behind the net, where Francis can use the cage as a shield and feed either wing in the slot; coming across the blue line, where he can accelerate with the puck and make it difficult for defenders to mark him; or down low, where he can quickly feed O'Neill or Kapanen near the far post. What's more, because checking lines rarely attempt a rush and usually dump the puck, O'Neill's line can think offense almost all the time, aggressively pursuing the puck to set up a second or third chance during a possession.

Though O'Neill can often fight through defenders, he's more effective when he picks his spots. "Playing against some 6'2" kid who wants to bash everything in sight wears on you," says O'Neill. As a result, he conserves his energy on the road by curbing his skating inside the blue line. Praised early in his career for his speed, O'Neill was too often spinning his wheels, overpursuing the puck or taking the long route around defenders. With experience has come the knowledge of the tendencies of both opponents and teammates.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1027005/1/index.htm

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I totally missed the 1934-35 All Stars because they aren't in BM67's main post!

But wasn't Bowman more than 3 points behind Coulter?

Looks like Coulter has 4 votes for first team, Bowman has 1
Coulter has 11 votes for second team, Bowman has 6.

So with 3 points for a first team vote and 1 for a second team vote, Coulter would have 23 points and Bowman would have 7.

You are right about Bowman, he had 7 points. As for Coulter, I stand corrected, bigtime. I must not have updated the "old" point totals that I had, because I had shore with 30, seibert with 22 and wentworth with 14. Those numbers all seem to add up to the total number of votes they received. For coulter, I had 10. The only place that could have come from is the fact that he had 10 total 1st team votes. These were numbers I had from before.

Also, looking at these results it appears I may have some more errors in this season. I will revisit this when I have spare time at home (which means likely Wednesday night)

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Semin was a top-3 offensive winger remaining in my books.

O'neill was a guy I thought I would steal here. A worthy top line rw, depite the inconsistency. O'neill hater, don't believe me? Compare whoever you draft for your 1st line to him and we'll talk.

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
QuadCityMallards9596.GIF

With our first pick, the Quad City Mallards select C Mike Walton.

160484.jpg

(Profile somewhat shamelessly taken from Billy, thanks Billy)

Nonsense! I'd rather see that my research goes to good use and is used in the future. Feel free to copy any of my bios that I make.

O'neill was a guy I thought I would steal here. A worthy top line rw, depite the inconsistency. O'neill hater, don't believe me? Compare whoever you draft for your 1st line to him and we'll talk.

When you look at O'Neill by himself, his numbers don't really stand out as being anything great(except his goalscoring), but when you look at some of the best other available RWs, O'Neill looks very good.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Dawson City selects, as their starter, goaltender Roman Turek.

A rather brief career as a starter in the NHL, and he definitely could have stuck around a while longer, in my opinion.

Won a Stanley Cup with the Dallas Stars while backing up Eddie Belfour, before moving into a starting role with St. Louis for the following season. He would win the Jennings Trophy that year, while putting up 42 wins in 67 games, with a sterling 1.95 GAA.

Roman was remarkably consistent while in the NHL; even in his final year with Calgary, he posted a 2.33 GAA while serving as Miikka Kiprusoff's backup.

His career GAA of 2.31 stands as 11th-best among all goalies.

Oh, and I also read something about him backstopping the Czech Republic to the 1996 World Championships, winning Best Goalie and (obviously) making the All-Star team. His international career is rather limited, but when he was on, he was most certainly on. ;)

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I know this is some kind of competition but do you guys have any tips on how to proceed to get a bunch of players to study when you have no past-list or referance to built on? Are we at the level that we have to one by one find the players that belong somewhere close to where we are instead of having an already known group of players that we just try to rank the most perfectly possible?

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
... do you guys have any tips on how to proceed to get a bunch of players to study when you have no past-list or reference to built on?
Cross list last year's MLD, AAA, AA and Free Agency, B-Draft picks against those already drafted in this year's ATD and MLD (control-f function on this page). That will give you a big list to plow through and ponder. Order is not so important as good picks come up and down the order after the MLD level, as judgements and quality varies, some steals and stinkers in every lower tier draft. It's a start. Research is fun! :)

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
jkrx PM'd:

I need to go away for a few days to attend a funeral.

So his squad might lag for a few rounds. As long as he makes up the picks before the middle of the draft, there should be no problem, given the options and lack of clear drop off at this level.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Semin was a top-3 offensive winger remaining in my books.

Yep, don't get me wrong I have my biases here, but O'Neill, when he was at the top of his game, was an extremely dangerous scoring forward. He had the speed (although he wasn't nearly as fast as his linemate Kapanen), size, skill, and grit to be a legit offensive force at the height of the dead puck era. Only thing I will say is you need to put him with a solid playmaker.

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
Detroit Cougars selects: Guy Hebert, G

hebert.jpg

One of the more underrated goalies of his era, he backstopped those terrible Ducks teams to the playoffs two times. Very consistent goalie who posted top 10 stats for a very poor team.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree

hebert.jpg

One of the more underrated goalies of his era, he backstopped those terrible Ducks teams to the playoffs two times. Very consistent goalie who posted top 10 stats for a very poor team.

Great pick, Hebert was a guy I was looking at very strongly for my pick today to be my #1 goalie. You're right he did a lot for some poor Anaheim teams back in the 90's.

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
C Mickey Roach

10048178_110251502195.jpg

6th in Goals, 22-23 (65% of 1st place)
2x Top 6 Assists(4, 6) (77% and 60% of 1st, 90% of 2nd)
5th in Points, 22-23 (73% of 1st place)
2x AAHL 1st Team All Star
USNHL 1st Team All Star, 1918
OHA-Sr. 1st Team All Star, 1919
Led OHA in scoring in 1918-1919

Mickey Roach was an early example of an American-born player who made it to the NHL. He did so on the strength of his excellent offensive skills and ability to manoeuvre his tiny little frame with great speed and agility.

He turned pro with the Boston Arenas of the AAHA in 1914-15. He completed his first campaign by becoming the league's scoring champ. He was less successful, however, at lighting the scoreboard over the three seasons that followed. He left the Arenas after two seasons to put in a year with the New York Crescents and the New York Wanderers of the USAHA.

It wasn't until Roach came to Canada to skate for the Hamilton Tigers of the OHA Seniors that his stick began to heat up again. He finished the 1918-1919 season as the league's top scorer.

The following year, the speedy little centreman joined the Toronto St. Pats of the NHL. Over the next seven years, Roach performed as a steady scorer, especially for the Hamilton Tigers who had joined the NHL by 1920. In 1922-23, in a Tigers' sweater, he put in his personal-best campaign, garnering 25 points in 23 games.

In 1925-26, Roach made the transfer with the Tigers to New York as the franchise was sold. The team's new incarnation was as the New York Americans. The veteran centreman played two more seasons with the Amerks before heading to the minors in 1927.

http://www.legendsofhockey.net/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/SearchPlayer.jsp?player=14138

Outstanding players on the team included Joe Malone, Goldie Prodgers, Mickey Roach and Jake Forbes

http://www.google.com/search?q=mick....,cf.osb&fp=48f8c01b6b57e07f&biw=1366&bih=616

Mickey Roach, rover of the Wanderers, held a skating party of his own at St. Nicholas Rink last night and glided over the ice so fast that the Knights of Columbus seven from Montreal gazed on him in wonderment as he proceeded to shoot six of the ten goals which the Wanderers tallied against a lone one for the outclassed lads from the Dominion.

http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F00A16FB3D5E10728DDDAA0994D9405B888DF1D3

Ed. Bouchard and Mickey Roach, a couple of the speediest of tho New York American contingent

http://www.google.com/search?q=mick....,cf.osb&fp=d4e5d42df5db18f8&biw=1366&bih=616

Players like Billy Burch, the Green brothers, Red and Shorty, "Bullet" Joe Simpson, Mickey Roach and xxx depend almost entirely upon their speed and stickhandling to win games.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...&pg=6970,2550652&dq=mickey+roach+hockey&hl=en

Mickey Roach put spirit into the Americans' attack as their desperate ...

http://www.google.com/search?q=mick....,cf.osb&fp=d4e5d42df5db18f8&biw=1366&bih=616

Last edited:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
HC Davos selects C Anatoli Semenov

2800845110_b4e95145b3.jpg

Pelletier said:
Semenov may not be a household hockey name to North American fans, but he is well-respected in Russia where he played for a solid decade with Moscow Dynamo, earning USSR First-Team All-Star honors in 1985 for his fine play. That season, the crafty forward, possessing good playmaking abilities and a keen sense of on-ice awareness, notched 17 goals and added 12 assists in only 30 games.

Semenov, a Moscow native, had his most productive season for Dynamo in 1986-87 when he scored 15 goals and 44 points in 40 games played. In all, Semenov amassed 154 goals and scored a total of 303 points as a member of Dynamo.

North American fans only really saw him a handful of times during this time. He played in the 1984 and 1987 Canada Cups, the 1988 Olympics and Rendez Vous 87.
anatolisemenov.jpg

Meanwhile, as Semenov was completing his last season in a Moscow Dynamo uniform, the NHL’s Edmonton Oilers selected him with their fifth choice (120th overall) in the 1989 Entry Draft. Semenov debuted for the Oilers in the 1989-90 postseason, playing two games and earning an etch on Lord Stanley’s Cup.

Semenov enjoyed one of his best seasons in the NHL as a member of the Oilers when he notched 20 goals in only 59 games during the 1991-92 season. Unfortunately for Oilers fans, the Semenov was claimed by the Tampa Bay Lightning during the 1992 NHL Expansion Draft.

Semenov played only 13 games with the Lightning before he was traded to the Vancouver Canucks. Semenov played well in Vancouver but only stayed long enough to finish the season. He filled in admirably on a line with Russian superstar Pavel Bure, filling in for the departed Igor Larionov. The duo started the season on fire, but by the end of the year Semenov was bumped off the top line in favor of newly acquired Murray Craven.

The journeyman center enjoyed stints with the Anaheim Mighty Ducks, Philadelphia Flyers, and Buffalo Sabres before leaving the NHL after the 1996-97 season. Despite hints of greatness in practically every NHL stop, Semenov ultimately arrived in the NHL too late to make an impact. He was on the downside of his career, and couple that with the tough adjustment to western life most older Russian players had in the early 1990s, and Semenov never truly got untracked. He was a very clever playmaker, reminding me in glimpses of Larionov.

In his NHL career, he appeared in 362 games, scoring 68 goals and adding 126 assists for 194 points. He also appeared in 49 playoff games, scoring 9 goals and recording 13 assists for 22 points.

semenov.jpg

Denver Post, Apr 7th, 1996
When Russian-born center Anatoli Semenov returned to the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim last month, he landed in the middle of one of the NHL's hottest lines.
Until then, the line with wingers Paul Kariya and Teemu Selanne, who had been acquired from Winnipeg, had been inconsistent.
*undrafted player* was the original center, but Semenov has proved to be far more effective as a stabilizing force between the Ducks' two young, high-scoring wingers.

Rob Scuderi

Sep 3, 2009
The Mallards select Goalie Mike Palmateer

Mike%20Palmateer%208af-13029.jpg

x5 Top 10 GP
x4 Top 10 Wins
x2 Top 10 GAA
x5 Top 10 Shutouts
x3 Top 10 SV%

x4 Top 9 Goalie All-Star voting (3, 7, 8, 9)
5th in Hart Trophy Voting (1978-79)

The Leafs did finally bring Palmateer into the chain in 1974. He was promptly dispatched to the minors where he tended goal for the Saginaw Gears of the IHL and the Oklahoma City Blazers of the CHL. It wasn't until early in the 1976-77 campaign that he was brought to Maple Leaf Gardens for an extended stay. Suddenly, fans, analysts, and the club's management were all struck by the little fireball between the Leafs' pipes.

Some described him as a leprechaun in goal pads while others claimed he was brash and overrated and carried a chip on his shoulder. But whether people liked him or not, they couldn't help but be entertained by his dynamic exploits in the crease. He could make saves like a vaudeville dancer falling to the ice and then in an instant, be right back on his feet, ready for the next attack. He was colourful, cantankerous, and cocky while playing his daring game close to the edge.

From 1977 to 1979, with Palmateer in goal, the Leafs fortunes began to rise up from the depths of ineptitude. During the playoffs of 1978, he was a standout as the Leafs ousted the up-and-coming Islanders from the playoffs. But in 1980, Palmateer engaged in a contract dispute with the Leafs. He wanted a three-year deal while the club would offer only two. As a result, he was traded to the Washington Capitals.

He was put on the shelf to have arthroscopic surgery at a local hospital. He was already dressed in hospital linen, on his way into the operating room when an urgent call came through from the Caps. Their other goalie, Wayne Stephenson, had just gone down with an injury. They needed Palmateer, bad knee and all, for the evening's game. So, he was packed back into the ambulance and delivered the stadium in time for the match. His surgery was then completed several days later.

http://www.legendsofhockey.net/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/SearchPlayer.jsp?player=18650

Mike Palmateer was hailed as Toronto Maple Leafs savior by Torontonians even before he played in the NHL.

Born in Toronto, Palmateer was a junior standout with the hometown Marlboros of the OHA. Drafted 85th overall in the 1974 Amateur Draft by the Leafs after Palmateer backstopped the Marlies win of the Memorial Cup in 1974-75 during his last year of junior hockey.

Palmateer apprenticed in the Central Hockey League for a couple of seasons before making his NHL debut with the Maple Leafs in 1976-77. He had a solid rookie year, going 23-28-8 in 50 games as the Leafs starting goalie, taking that role from Wayne Thomas.

The following year he was Palmateer's best season. He played a career high 63 games played, 34 wins and 5 shutouts. Most importantly, he was a key figure in the club’s drive to the Stanley Cup semifinals. He recorded 2 more shutouts in the playoffs. It was the first time since 1967 that the Leafs had become serious contenders for the Stanley Cup.

In those 1978 playoffs Palmateer was at his best during the Leaf's quarter final upset of the New York Islanders.

Mike was an acrobatic goalie, always flopping around on the ice like a fish out of water. He was exciting to watch but every shot seemed like an adventure. He could make an ordinary save look spectacular, but at the same time he often looked bad as an easy shot got past him.

"Palmateer doesn't play text-book goal," said then-Toronto GM Mike Nykoluk. "But he is awfully quick and has great hands and a wonderful sense of anticipation. The idea is to stop the puck, and that's what he does."

Palmateer was extremely confident in his abilities.

"That's my style, and I think that scrambling and challenging the shooter is best for me. I can play with any goalkeeper in the NHL. No one is better than me, and I'm better than most."

Despite the excitement surrounding the Leafs, turmoil ruined that team. Owner Harold Ballard decided to get rid of most of the young budding superstars - Darryl Sittler, Tiger Williams, Lanny McDonald and yes Mike Palmateer. All four of these players had terrible relations with GM Punch Imlach, especially at contract time.

Prior to the 1979-80 season, Palmateer was traded to the Washington Capitals with a third round pick (Torrie Robertson) for Robert Picard, Tim Coulis and a 2nd round pick (Bob McGill). He played in the United States capital for two seasons.

Palmateer recorded 17 shutouts and a goals-against average of 3.53 over an impressive eight-year NHL career. His career totals - 149 wins, 138 losses and 52 ties.

http://mapleleafslegends.blogspot.com/2007/06/mike-palmateer.html

Last edited:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Al MacNeil was going to be our pick this time. Scooped in the freaking AAA draft....

Chaos is offline, so I'll just go ahead and pick a guy who has always gone in the MLD draft, even when the main draft only had 28-32 teams. He probably went a bit too high in the past, but he shouldn't fall any farther.

The giant indian head team selects:

Leroy Goldsworthy, RW

Leroy spent most of his career on checking lines playing great defense, while putting up a minimal amount of points. But for two seasons in Montreal, he got a chance to show what he could do offensively:

8th in goals (and 4th in GPG) in 1934-35

His 29 points in 1934-35 were 61% of 2nd place Syd Howe
His 26 points in 1935-36 were 65% of 2nd place Marty Barry/Paul Thompson

The difference in his point totals between Chicago and Montreal are striking. In 1934-35, he had 0 points in 7 games in Chicago, where he was used in a defensive role (winning the Cup in 1934). Traded to Montreal, he immediately responded with 29 points in 33 games to close out the season, perhaps showing what he could do if he were in a more offensive role all along.

legendsofhockey said:
Right-winger Leroy Goldsworthy was a fine two-way player on six different NHL clubs in the 20s and 30s. He was a tireless worker whose strength was consistency.
Goldsworthy was a solid worker for the Blueshirts in 1929-30 when he played 44 games.

During the early 30s he skated extensively in the IAHL but also played part time with the Detroit Falcons/Red Wings and the Chicago Black Hawks. During the 1934 playoffs he was an important checker when the team won the Stanley Cup. The next year he was traded to the Montreal Canadiens as part of a blockbuster deal that also featured Howie Morenz and Lionel Conacher. That year Goldsworthy hit the 20-goal mark the only time in his career while playing with George Mantha and XXX. He later suited up for the Boston Bruins and New York Americans where he was a fine defensive player.

Leroy's versatility allows us to play him as a glue guy on a scoring line or on a checking line.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Montreal Jacks Of Diamonds select Jude Drouin C

Drouin brings in decent offense ( assists and goals ) and is a good playoff performer.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn

hebert.jpg

Hebert was a guy we were strongly looking at for our backup in the MLD. Then I found this:

- I strongly suspect that Guy Hebert got his stats padded in Anaheim. He is a guy that I've noted before as often doing well in various save percentage rankings, but that's probably a bit misleading as Hebert was very average on the road and has another extreme home/road split (.916/.902).

http://brodeurisafraud.blogspot.com/2011_01_01_archive.html

While I often disagree with that blog's analysis of posted statistics, the raw statistics they post are true. And having a 0.916 save % at home and a 0.902 on the road just screams that the shot counter in Anaheim was quite generous in counting shots.

So I wouldn't put much stock into Hebert's supposedly high save percentages. But even with that aside, his Vezina record stacks up fairly well with what's available now (basically one significant season and two more seasons with token consideration).

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Al MacNeil was going to be our pick this time. Scooped in the freaking AAA draft....

Chaos is offline, so I'll just go ahead and pick a guy who has always gone in the MLD draft, even when the main draft only had 28-32 teams. He probably went a bit too high in the past, but he shouldn't fall any farther.

The giant indian head team selects:

Leroy Goldsworthy, RW

Leroy spent most of his career on checking lines playing great defense, while putting up a minimal amount of points. But for two seasons in Montreal, he got a chance to show what he could do offensively:

8th in goals (and 4th in GPG) in 1934-35

His 29 points in 1934-35 were 61% of 2nd place Syd Howe
His 26 points in 1935-36 were 65% of 2nd place Marty Barry/Paul Thompson

The difference in his point totals between Chicago and Montreal are striking. In 1934-35, he had 0 points in 7 games in Chicago, where he was used in a defensive role (winning the Cup in 1934). Traded to Montreal, he immediately responded with 29 points in 33 games to close out the season, perhaps showing what he could do if he were in a more offensive role all along.

Leroy's versatility allows us to play him as a glue guy on a scoring line or on a checking line.

Well I sure hope you don't put him on a checking line! What a strategic blunder that would be to take a 3rd liner so early :naughty:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
so tempting, but as long as one of my two guys at another position don't get taken, I'll be ok....

Regina starts off the forward corps with Earl Robinson, RW.

earlrobinson1mm.jpg

- 5'10", 160 lbs
- Stanley Cup (1935)

From what I have been able to uncover, whether looking at percentages or finishes, Earl stands out as the top available offensive forward among pre-expansion NHLers (and this includes available centers!):

finishes: 11th, 18th, 21st, 30th, 40th
percentages by seventies method: 76, 74, 61, 55, 50.

what is even more important, is that Robinson came across these points pretty honestly. By that I mean, he was not a coattail-rider:

1934: Robinson was 3rd on the Maroons, behind Northcott and Smith, who definitely played together, with Jimmy Ward. Therefore, Robinson definitely outscored whoever he was playing with.

1935: Robinson led the Maroons in scoring by an 8-point (30%) margin. This team included Herb Cain, Baldy Northcott and Hooley Smith.

1937: Robinson was 2nd on the Maroons behind Bob Gracie, who played with Herb Cain and an undrafted. Therefore, Robinson definitely outscored whoever he was playing with, and by a minimum of five points.

loh.net said:
Earle Robinson first made the stats sheets while skating for the Montreal Victorias senior club in 1926-27. He then joined the Can-Am League to play for the Philadelphia Arrows during the campaign that followed. His offensive output was sufficiently solid to catch the attention of the Montreal Maroons of the NHL who brought him on board for the start of the 1928-29 season.

The move marked the start of a nine-year association with the Maroons that provided Robinson with a venue to develop his game from a low scoring journeyman to a respectable forward with some fire in his stick.

During his second campaign in Montreal, the versatile forward was dispatched to the Windsor Bulldogs of the IAHL where he continued to refine his game. During the 1930-31 season, he led the league in scoring with 63 points in 48 games. As such, the Maroons brought him back to Montreal for half a season before returning him to the Bulldogs to close out the campaign.

In 1932-33, however, Robinson finally secured a regular spot on the Maroons' roster. From then on, he became a solid performer who could be counted on for steady offensive production. All of his efforts reached a peak at the close of the 1934-35 season when the Maroons won their second and final Stanley Cup as a franchise.

Robinson remained with the club for an additional three seasons before being traded to the Chicago Blackhawks. By then, his offensive performance had been in decline for some time. The following year, he was sold to the Montreal Canadiens where he played only eleven games before leaving the NHL for good.

Last edited:

vecens24

Jun 1, 2009
Heh. Goldsworthy's career high was finishing 8th in goals. Jan Erixon's career high was scoring 8 goals (in the 1980s!) :naughty:

Carry on.

Good for you for getting Goldsworthy this draft since we just totally forgot he wasn't taken in the MLD (and by "we" I mean I totally forgot about him and thought he had been taken ;) )

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad