The 9PM Local Start

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
The f*** is going on so that the "start" time and puck drop is 20+ minutes later ? Just drop the f***ing puck

It's because, despite wanting to have constant doubleheaders on the network, they refuse to start Eastern Conference games at 6 or 630 to allow the 830 games to start on time.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
It's because, despite wanting to have constant doubleheaders on the network, they refuse to start Eastern Conference games at 6 or 630 to allow the 830 games to start on time.
Feels like the majority of people would love 6/6:30 start times out here.

NHL is just weird.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Puck drop for EDM-LA Game 4, on a Sunday, was 8:50 MST time.

So you are telling me that the puck drop for a game -1 hr from your time zone was later. HOLY SHIT WOW!

LOCAL PUCK DROP BROTHER

They need to teach time zones in Alberta apparently.

fresh meat

Nov 29, 2018
So you are telling me that the puck drop for a game -1 hr from your time zone was later. HOLY SHIT WOW!

LOCAL PUCK DROP BROTHER
I’m from Edmonton, which is MST. The puck dropped at 8:50. Why is this difficult for you to believe? It’s literally a fact

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I wonder what puck drop is for that 9pm game for Dallas on Saturday. At least it's not a work day I guess.

fresh meat

Nov 29, 2018
THE GAME WAS IN CALIFORNIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

You as a fan were not expected to be at the arena for 9pm start in person.
I, as a fan, was at the arena for all three home games for the 8:20 puck drops. That’s still awfully late. Obviously 9:00 puck drop is worse, but I don’t see why you seem to believe the NHL isn’t also screwing other teams.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
As Hockey fans its important we suffer, in previous decades they had things like lockouts but the suffering subsided too quickly.

Nowadays we have:
8/9pm start times
Sports betting
Ads every 5 minutes

It's a different type of suffering but the NHL needs to ensure it's fans are indeed suffering.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
I always wonder what the sleep schedules for the players looks like with the these very late puck drops. Do they take multiple naps through the day? I doubt any wake up at 5am and stay up the entire day while still feeling like they can play playoff hockey.

I would want a nap room set up, so I could sleep right after the game day practice and not worry about waking up late.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
And it’s not on because east coast teams are tied. Get the trashy Rangers Hurricanes game off my tv.

coolboarder

Mar 4, 2010
Maryland
The only way to change this sham starting time is to change the playoff format. I wouldn't mind the final 8 being seeded 1-8 and that way the East that plays in the Central division starts at 9pm local and 10pm Eastern. That only fair. Also I think that 1-8 would guarantee 2 pacific time zone teams, 2 central time zone and 4 eastern time zone teams to have some kind of mix in their schedule. First round would be 1-4 and 2-3 then the series winner advances to a brand new bracket according to regular season standing.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
A late start and if we get a 2OT game means they are playing past 1am local time. Not ideal.
And starting late did what as nYR and Car went to double OT. So eastern viewers missed the first period of Avs and Stars. Most probably opted for bed after the NyR game ended.

Reactions: TatteredTornNFrayed

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
According to the Round 1 schedule, I see games starting at 8:00pm Mountain time in Edmonton. So, it is a Central thing actually.. no puck is dropping at 9pm local in Edmonton, Vancouver, LA, New York, Toronto, Florida.
They had some 830 start times where the puck didn’t drop till 850.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
To settle the question of the Kings-Oilers start times, it may be of interest to some that every game has the start and end time noted on the NHL site's game summary:

Game 1: 8.21pm MDT start
Game 2: 8.16pm MDT start
Game 3: 7.41pm PDT start
Game 4: 7.51pm PDT start
Game 5: 8.20pm MDT start
Thanks for the data. No idea why Oilers fans keep coming at me in this thread, but it's very obvious they have no idea what they're talking about. The one guy who was so certain about 8:50 just disappeared randomly odd.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Le Havre vs Marseille
    Le Havre vs Marseille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $55.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Lens vs Montpellier
    Lens vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $55.00