The 9PM Local Start

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
So far these playoffs, Dallas has had two 9PM local starts and the first two games of the second round are also 9PM local starts. Is there a reason why the NHL continunes to punish Central division teams with these horrible start times? How can fans get their kids to watch the game or how can the NHL get casual fans to watch the games with such late starts?

The NHL needs to stop punishing teams in the Central division, they would never allow Toronto or New York to start their games at 9PM so why are we forced to endure this?

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
This is nothing new, and the NBA does the exact same thing with teams in the central time zone.

Me personally, I'd split the difference. Start the Eastern Conference games at 6:30 pm ET, then start any games in the central time zone at 9 pm ET/8 pm CT. Neither the NHL or NBA seem interested in doing that though.

Reactions: NYRfan85

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
So far these playoffs, Dallas has had two 9PM local starts and the first two games of the second round are also 9PM local starts. Is there a reason why the NHL continunes to punish Central division teams with these horrible start times?
Welcome to the Western Conference. The league caters to the east coast fan that stays up until 1:30 am that watches the games back to back more than the local market fan. In my opinion, they should do a staggered start time even though there's overlap because even then with the national fan, you get people that will want to watch the third period not start a new game at 10 pm their time for teams in the other conference. Maybe ad revenue/tv dollars make a good business case for the way they do it (NBA does the same thing), but it's horrible for fan experience, and at least in NBA, the western conference teams are much more disproportionately in the pacific timezone (still sucks for teams like Minnesota and Dallas)

Dynamic

Dec 21, 2004
Edmonton
This entire situation where the NHL bows to the needs of the TV networks needs to be walked back. It is creating so many issues that are ruining the integrity of the sport. We got one Van/Edm not even playing their first game while the Eastern teams have already played two. Both series should be somewhat following each other closely.

Rant two is this the recent situation where we don't have times for games until the last minute. Series should have a time scheduled at the very least when they come out with the game schedule. TV broadcasters squeezing every dollar while int he meantime messing up plans for the fans who spends hundreds of dollars to go to the games in absolutely backwards. I don't live in the city so I can't commit to a game until I at the very least know a time. A 8pm Sunday game is much different that a 6pm game. Its a joke they can even sell tickets to a game with no actual time yet.

It just keeps getting worse every year. The scheduled makes no logical sense for the people going to the game. Yes I get TV revenue is important but it should NEVER impact the stupid ass schedules and last minute garbage we are seeing today. There needs to be a standard developed and followed because right now it is a clown show.

Reactions: byrath and snowave

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
So far these playoffs, Dallas has had two 9PM local starts and the first two games of the second round are also 9PM local starts. Is there a reason why the NHL continunes to punish Central division teams with these horrible start times? How can fans get their kids to watch the game or how can the NHL get casual fans to watch the games with such late starts?

The NHL needs to stop punishing teams in the Central division, they would never allow Toronto or New York to start their games at 9PM so why are we forced to endure this?
lol what the oilers games all against La started at 840-9 its not just a central thing.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
lol what the oilers games all against La started at 840-9 its not just a central thing.

According to the Round 1 schedule, I see games starting at 8:00pm Mountain time in Edmonton. So, it is a Central thing actually.. no puck is dropping at 9pm local in Edmonton, Vancouver, LA, New York, Toronto, Florida.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
also a joke the Vancouver Edmonton series doesnt start until Wed.
They made the Bruins play Florida less than 48 hours after beating Toronto. NYR-Canes began before the first round official ended.
Scheduling has been stupid

Reactions: KeydGV21

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
According to the Round 1 schedule, I see games starting at 8:00pm Mountain time in Edmonton. So, it is a Central thing actually.. no puck is dropping at 9pm local in Edmonton, Vancouver, LA, New York, Toronto, Florida.
Puck drop for every single game outside the first was at 850 or later thanks for coming out.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Puck drop for every single game outside the first was at 850 or later thanks for coming out.

I don't think you know what you are arguing. You seem very confused and lost on what's going on in this thread.

GAME 1 @EDM – Monday, April 22, 8pm MT

GAME 2 @EDM – Wednesday, April 24, 8pm MT

GAME 5 @EDM – Wednesday, May 1, 8pm MT

Reactions: The Expert

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
As much as I believe you. It clearly shows 948pm for me with no indication of any time zone.

Good try
picard-facepalm.jpg

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Out west we also tend to have delays in puck drop more. I see out east they often get 7 pm start times and the puck drops in 10 minutes. We get 8pm or 830 starts and the puck can take 20 minutes. Oilers had that super late drop on our 830 start.

I thought we were being screwed. 9pm start for Dallas is crazy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad