the 50 goals in 56 games club

who do you have in the 50 goals in 56 games club?

• Total voters

Varcus

Dec 3, 2015
40 isn't crazy Ovi and Matthews both had 40 in 56 last year. The players who i could see doing it is Ovi, Matthews, Pasta and McDavid. It's highly unlikely we will see 50 though. But there is a small very small chance someone has a peak season.

Ovi division really works against him but Ovi is still going to perform as long as he has that shot. I think Ovi is going to score about 35 to 40 goals. So it is within a realm of possibility.

McDavid generates so many chances each and every single game, He spent time with Matthews this summer so if he worked and developed a better shot. Would you honestly bet against him?

Matthews the way he shots the puck is just so dynamic. It's different then an Ovi or Laine where they can just blow it by you. Matthews can do that to just to a lesser degree. What impresses me about Matthews is how he changes the angle of the shot just when he is about to shoot. Matthews also tweak's with his shot every year, So I'm really interested to see how it's developed.

Pasta is injured and just started skating so he can't do it. But if he wasn't injured he plays so streaky at times for scoring goals. in a shorten season anything is possible. It's shamefully he is injured, He also has a nice shot :)

HM to Laine and Drai. Laine shot is good enough to do it. I just feel Laine as a player is not good enough to do it. But as long as he has that shot it is possible.

Drai would only have a chance to do it if he played with McDavid. Drai is still a good player but i think without McDavid full time he is closer to a 40 goal guy then a 50 goal guy.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Mat

He hasn't scored 50 goals in 82 games yet what in the wild wild world of sports makes you think he can do it in 56>

He scored 40 in his first 56 games last year. The fact that he hasn't played 82 since his rookie year is irrelevant. He's shown he's one of the best goalscorers in the game and as THR said, he's playing in a bad defensive division.

Reactions: TomasHertlsRooster

Cappy76

Sponsor
Sep 1, 2005
London, Kentucky
Not that I think it'll be done this year but I wanna say that Ovie has hit 50 in 50 games before but it spanned across 2 seasons. End of one season and start of the next I'm pretty sure he did 50 in 50. I'm not in the absolutely won't be done crowd but I also don't think it's likely to happen if it does I could see someone in the North division going up against Ottawa 10x or the other weaker defensive teams. Or even the West with the exception of Colorado/Vegas those teams could be weaker.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
No one comes remotely close. Games are going to tighten up due to opponent familiarity. I'll be surprised if anyone gets 40. Points will be down this year in general, hits, blocked shots and pims will be up. Teams play better and harder when they hate the opponent.

Reactions: BB06

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Not that I think it'll be done this year but I wanna say that Ovie has hit 50 in 50 games before but it spanned across 2 seasons. End of one season and start of the next I'm pretty sure he did 50 in 50. I'm not in the absolutely won't be done crowd but I also don't think it's likely to happen if it does I could see someone in the North division going up against Ottawa 10x or the other weaker defensive teams. Or even the West with the exception of Colorado/Vegas those teams could be weaker.
Ottawa won't be easy to play against. If you think playing a team more often makes it easier to score you're lost.

Cappy76

Sponsor
Sep 1, 2005
London, Kentucky
Ottawa won't be easy to play against. If you think playing a team more often makes it easier to score you're lost.
Tell that to Crosby when he played the Islanders early in his career or Ovie and the Thrashers earlier in his career. Lesser teams are much easier to pile up points against. I didn't at all say playing a team more often makes it easier to score, but you're crazy if you think 10x against Ottawa isn't easier than 10x against a stronger team. Why else are many talking about media heads pointing out how much of a blood bath the east is going to be and how much easier it will be on a team from the North division?

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
I don't think we'll see 50 goals in under 60 games for a VERY long time. There's nobody in the league with that potential as scoring is.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Matthews should do it fairly easily in the North division. Expecting the North to have by far the highest goals per game average compared to the other divisions based on how poor the defense rank.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Maybe McDavid playing in the North, but that's a tall order. Plays Ottawa 9 times, so that's 20 goals there give or take...

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
McDavid is going to have a crazy good year. I see 50 goals and over 100 points. Insane numbers for the most insanely good player in the National League.

He only has 55 games to get 100 points. I can say, with absolute certainty, that will not happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad