Line Combos: the 4th line

Root

Feb 22, 2010
I want Jordan Nolan. in an ideal world I'd trade Kelly and Campbell to whoever for whatever and go with this for the rest of the season:
Paille-Cunningham-Nolan.

by this time next year I hope our fourth line is Nolan-Cunningham-Randell/Knight

Last edited:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I think the trade freeze is in effect tomorrow (19th) so, I guess yet another of my predictions (an addition to the lineup on the 4th line) has flushed right down the toilet

iGetCarried*

I don't think we see a new 4th line until next year.

Cunningham will stay, and rightfully so. Wouldn't mind signing Peluso (who's a RFA, but doesn't get used much in Winny) and find a veteran LW or C; since Cunningham can play either.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Paille-Cunningham- Player X

I don't know who the RWer would be. But Cunningham has to stay on that line, he's great there and Paille needs the help.

Arthur*

My thoughts:

1. Daniel Paille is an essential part of this team, his speed and forechecking have made our PK successful since 2010. His hands may be stone, but there's always a spot for him here (though I've always been a proponent of putting Paille with Bergeron since their chemistry has always been good. I think the rest of the board hates the idea though so I'll give it up).

2. Cunningham is a keeper. Campbell had a good run, but Cunningham makes him redundant IMO. Similar player, but much younger.

3. That leaves an extra wing. We have a speedy defensive-oriented winger and a gritty two-way center already, what completes the line? What made Merlot the best 4th line in the league from 2010-2013 was that they could control the puck. Thornton wasn't an excellent hockey player by any means, but he could cycle and his physicality won the puck in the corners to keep it cycling. Who on the roster can replace that? Not Griffith nor Khokhlachev, or Spooner. Matt Fraser fits the profile, but I just don't think he's an NHL player. He's AHL+. Same goes for Robins. Only a temporary solution at best. Knight deserves a look, IMO. Camara could be that guy but he's a year or two away from the leap.

I guess right now I'd have to say Paille-Cunningham-Fraser if we're not making any roster moves. I don't really like it all that much though.

Alternate solution: Paille to Marchand and Bergeron's right, Smith to Eriksson and Soderberg's right, Kelly-Cunningham-Griffith.

PIMsCup

Nov 18, 2014
LA / NH Boston?
Is it weird that I think Krug would make a great Brenden Gallagher type winger? Add on that he has defensive ability and a killer shot and I'd say that he would be awesome on a shutdown 4th line.

Arthur*

Is it weird that I think Krug would make a great Brenden Gallagher type winger? Add on that he has defensive ability and a killer shot and I'd say that he would be awesome on a shutdown 4th line.
You know, I was kicking around that idea too. With his defensive struggles at times last year I often thought they and the surplus of defensemen they were carrying, they might try him on wing. He's not afraid to carry the puck in deep as it is, so I think he could be decent.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Hopefully, the days of rolling 4 lines should be done.

Exactly, they simply don't have the depth anymore to roll 4 lines.

The 4th line won't be fixed until Paille and Campbell are gone, which likely won't occur until next season. Paille has been ravaged by concussions, Campbell can't skate well enough to play center anymore.

If we can keep Cunningham on the 4th line as a regular and keep Gagne in the pressbox, I'll be happy.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Im still surprised they haven't given Knight at least a shot. I was in Europe during training camp/pre season, did Knight play? If so how was he? PM me if you don't wanna go OT in here, thanks.

I actually thought the 4th only has one lame donkey and thats Campbell, everyone loves him and his contributions over the years but he needs to go. Cunningham Paille should be on that line with whoever they can acquire/bring up.

xgallantx

Sold Soul for a Cup
Oct 2, 2006
Newfoundland
Don't get the Jared Knight love. Guy has like 2 points in the AHL. Hasn't proven anything at that level yet he should be considered for an NHL job!?!
I don't understand why they don't bring in somebody to play on the 1st line....2nd line is fine, 3rd line shows flashes, especially when they are facing 3rd pairing dmen. 4th line can survive now with Cunningham.
If they had a Stewart or Stafford to play line 1 we could be a much better team at a low cost.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad