Speculation: the 3 points every 5 games thread

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Last year we had the 6 points//5 games thread to determine our chances of virtually assuring ourselves a playoff berth.

This year, I present to you the 3 (3.19 to be precise) points every 5 games thread.

I did some research and going back to the 88/89 season (25 years, seemed like a decent sample size) and removing the three lockout years to avoid skewing numbers, the last place team in the league has averaged: 20.74 (rounded to 21) wins and 51.48 (rounded to 51) points.

So, doing some basic math, our best chance at finishing last (getting the #1 pick is another story) is to average 1 win and 3 points every 5 games.

Thus far, we have 0 wins and 1 point in our first three games, so our first five game block is looking very successful so far.

Let's go #hcanes. Embrace the suck.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
I'm going to go ahead and say that they will make the post season this year. I'm not putting much stock in anything this early but.....it looks like Peters is a good coach, I think the TEA line will click again, the goalie tandem will be fine, the young guys are looking pretty good and will continue to get better, the defense will begin to improve as will the PK, the PP will be good. with some more time things will fall into place and the guys will see some light leading to an entirely new burst of enthusiasm. feeling optimistic today for some reason.....;)

either that or reading the constant "tank, tank, tank" posts are getting on my nerves.

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
I'm going to go ahead and say that they will make the post season this year. I'm not putting much stock in anything this early but.....it looks like Peters is a good coach, I think the TEA line will click again, the goalie tandem will be fine, the young guys are looking pretty good and will continue to get better, the defense will begin to improve as will the PK, the PP will be good. with some more time things will fall into place and the guys will see some light leading to an entirely new burst of enthusiasm. feeling optimistic today for some reason.....;)

either that or reading the constant "tank, tank, tank" posts are getting on my nerves.

Rocky will not let the tank move forward.

Confirmed: Rocky is Tank Man. :sarcasm:

tank-man-china-web.jpg

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
thru 4 games and we have 0 wins and 2 points. a regulation loss next game puts us ahead of schedule, an OT/SOL puts us on pace and a win at this point is flat out unacceptable.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
this fan base has even less intestinal fortitude than the Hurricanes. some adversity and we fold up like a shot duck. talk about a losing culture infesting everything

2 12 oz Drinks

Or Less
Nov 1, 2011
United States
this fan base has even less intestinal fortitude than the Hurricanes. some adversity and we fold up like a shot duck. talk about a losing culture infesting everything

Pretty sure people wanted us to tank before the season. I think it's less of a question of losing culture and more a question of whether we want to continue in the mediocrity. Are we better served by doing a structured rebuild or just hope that we eventually strike gold one year again? This team does have the potential to be good, but that potential relies on too many things to go perfectly. If Eric Staal gets back to his old point totals. If Cam Ward can regain his old form. If this defense can somehow be respectable. If Skinner, Semin and others can stay healthy.

For other teams, it's not much of a question for these things. Do we keep this core and hope the stars eventually line up? Or do we get a new one which would be a safer bet? Yes, we would need to do a good job drafting/rebuilding but at a certain point that should be your gameplan. Is 5 seasons of mediocrity enough? I guess that's up to you

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
yeah I was half kidding and I sure do agree with the "mediocrity". It's just going to be a very long season reading about how crappy everything is every day if it is starting up so much already.

I'm looking forward to seeing how all the changes work out. just needs more time before I throw in the towel.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
1st 5 Games: 0-3-2: 2 Points Success
2nd 5 Games: 2-3-0: 4 Points Failure
3rd 5 Games: 3-1-1: 7 Points Failure
4th 5 Games: 1-4-0: 2 Points Success
5th 5 Games: 2-3-0: 4 Points Failure
6th 5 Games: 0-3-0: 0 Points In Progress

Season so far: 8-17-3: 19 points (Math = on pace for 23 wins and 56 points. We're a tad behind schedule, but I have faith. That random 5 game win streak in November is skewing the numbers pretty badly, but we'll average out soon I suspect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad