The 25 Best Forward Seasons Since 2005 (Poll Series Results And Discussion)

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
Yes, it was like: "Hey your guy is too good let's forget about the topic and start talking about playoffs"
I'd like this but for some reason the mods here have taken away my ability to "like" any post on HFB. Weird I know, my likes are too powerful I suppose.

Reactions: Randyne

Demandedace

Apr 9, 2015
I'd like this but for some reason the mods here have taken away my ability to "like" any post on HFB. Weird I know, my likes are too powerful I suppose.
Haha this has happened a few times to me. It’s a weird punishment associated to warning points and it makes absolutely no sense.

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
Good series of poll OP. Top 10 playoff runs post 2005 (overall) would be very interesting too.

Last edited:

Nadal On Clay

Oct 11, 2017
Not after Ovie curb stomped him for the hart and went 1.5 ppg in the playoffs.

Malkin himself had 1,5 PPG while playing 4 rounds. The only reason that Ovechkin won the Hart by that big of a margin was because Crosby and Malkin basically cancelled each other in voting by finishing #2 and #3 in the scoring race.

2009 Malkin is one of the only players in league history to win Art-Ross + Smythe while leading the scoring in both playoffs and regular season.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Malkin himself had 1,5 PPG while playing 4 rounds. The only reason that Ovechkin won the Hart by that big of a margin was because Crosby and Malkin basically cancelled each other in voting by finishing #2 and #3 in the scoring race.

2009 Malkin is one of the only players in league history to win Art-Ross + Smythe while leading the scoring in both playoffs and regular season.
What I find funny about this is the very next year Crosby led his team by 32 points while being the only top 10 scorer and ovechkin had Backstrom who scored 101 coming 4th place and then finished ahead of Crosby in hart voting. Ridiculous.

Reactions: TheGuiminator

Nadal On Clay

Oct 11, 2017
What I find funny about this is the very next year Crosby led his team by 32 points while being the only top 10 scorer and ovechkin had Backstrom who scored 101 coming 4th place and then finished ahead of Crosby in hart voting. Ridiculous.

Yeah well to be fair, Ovi was pacing for 124 pts that season since he missed 10 games and the Caps won the Presidents trophy. I do agree though that in terms of most valuable player, Crosby was more deserving.

TheGuiminator

I’ll be damned King, I’ll be damned
Oct 23, 2018

And then some folks here try to push the narrative that there’s a huge « Canadian media bias » in Crosby’s favor

Reactions: Sidmieux

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016

You ever think him “curb stomping” him for the hart had to do with Crosby himself scoring 100+

You guys do realize that OV spanked Malkin in hart voting the year before too right? When Crosby only played 41 games? So what's your excuse there? OV was just better and the whole world knew it.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016

Yeah well to be fair, Ovi was pacing for 124 pts that season since he missed 10 games and the Caps won the Presidents trophy. I do agree though that in terms of most valuable player, Crosby was more deserving.

Did you pens fans complain about this when Lemieux won the 96 hart despite having TWO team mates in the top 4 in scoring? Curious.

Reactions: Devil Dancer

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
I do agree though that 09 Malkin would be #1 if it's regular season + playoffs. OV played better, but Malkin went all the way.

Randyne

May 20, 2012
The only reason that Ovechkin won the Hart by that big of a margin was because Crosby and Malkin basically cancelled each other in voting by finishing #2 and #3 in the scoring race
It's the other way round. Ovechkin won Hart by that big of a margin because Malkin and Crosby generated to each other almost half of their points. Ovechkin beat 2 generational talents combined.

Nadal On Clay

Oct 11, 2017
It's the other way round. Ovechkin won Hart by that big of a margin because Malkin and Crosby generated to each other almost half of their points. Ovechkin beat 2 generational talents combined.

Doesn’t change the fact that Malkin RS + playoffs was better

Nadal On Clay

Oct 11, 2017
You guys do realize that OV spanked Malkin in hart voting the year before too right? When Crosby only played 41 games? So what's your excuse there? OV was just better and the whole world knew it.

OV scored 65 goals in 2008. That’s a whole other conversation. Not to mention that the 2nd scorer on the Caps had 69 pts

Zuluss

May 19, 2011
The top10 sounds about right. I would swap Kane and Kucherov (probably also moving OV-2010 ahead of both), I would swap Crosby-2014 or Crosby-2007 for Crosby-2010, but that may be just tastes that differ.

Outside of that, the list seems to be dominated by raw numbers and a bit of nostalgia.
How the heck are all McDavid's seasons that low? What is the reason for taking McDavid-2018 over McDavid-2017 (other than ignoring the fact that scoring went up in 17/18)?
What is the reason for taking Crosby-2007 over McDavid-2017 even? I remember the discussions in 2017, and people saw very little light between the two seasons - way too little to work in 14 seasons in between.
Why Ovechkin-2006 is taken over Ovechkin-2015 (again, outside of ignoring the difference in league-wide scoring)?
And those are just easy picks.

TheGuiminator

Oct 23, 2018
The top10 sounds about right. I would swap Kane and Kucherov (probably also moving OV-2010 ahead of both), I would swap Crosby-2014 or Crosby-2007 for Crosby-2010, but that may be just tastes that differ.

Outside of that, the list seems to be dominated by raw numbers and a bit of nostalgia.
How the heck are all McDavid's seasons that low? What is the reason for taking McDavid-2018 over McDavid-2017 (other than ignoring the fact that scoring went up in 17/18)?
What is the reason for taking Crosby-2007 over McDavid-2017 even? I remember the discussions in 2017, and people saw very little light between the two seasons - way too little to work in 14 seasons in between.
Why Ovechkin-2006 is taken over Ovechkin-2015 (again, outside of ignoring the difference in league-wide scoring)?
And those are just easy picks.

Crosby 2007 was more impressive on every level : more goals, more assists, more points/adjusted points, better PPG, better PPG against peers.

Crosby was also younger than McDavid was in their respective sophomore season

Zuluss

May 19, 2011
Crosby 2007 was more impressive on every level : more goals, more assists, more points/adjusted points, better PPG, better PPG against peers.

Crosby was also younger than McDavid was in their respective sophomore season

Well, that's what I am talking about: raw numbers and more raw numbers.

If you compare their % leads over #5 in points, it is dead-even at 18%.
If you compare % leads over #10 in points, it is McD easily 33-26.
If you compare % of points that are not on PP, it is McD easily 73-49
If you compare % of primary points in their total points, it is McD 74-71

Yes, it is mainly splitting hairs and the seasons are close, but this is exactly my point - how is one #7 and another #22?

Reactions: IvanMalison

TheGuiminator

Oct 23, 2018
Well, that's what I am talking about: raw numbers and more raw numbers.

If you compare their % leads over #5 in points, it is dead-even at 18%.
If you compare % leads over #10 in points, it is McD easily 33-26.
If you compare % of points that are not on PP, it is McD easily 73-49
If you compare % of primary points in their total points, it is McD 74-71

Yes, it is mainly splitting hairs and the seasons are close, but this is exactly my point - how is one #7 and another #22?

And why compare 1st with 10th and 5th exactly? Seems a little bit arbitrary to me to chose random placing.

Runners-up are more relevant in this case imo. Crosby had a 0,13 PPG lead over Thornton (Runner-up) which was way more significant than McDavid’s 0,03 PPG lead over Crosby.

Plus, Crosby in 2007 was way more ahead of his competition throughout the season (points wise and PPG wise) while McDavid and Crosby in 2017 were switching back and fourth first and second place (with Crosby playing 7 less games). It wasn’t until the last month of the season that McDavid started to separate himself (even though it was a mere lead).

Let’s not forget that Crosby (2006-07) was clearly viewed as the best player in the world throughout the season. He was able to make that separation from his peers at such a young age, while it wasn’t the case for McDavid in 2017, Crosby was still the consensus best in the world by the end of the season and by the start of the 2017-18 season.

You made good points though about McDavid having more primary points (slightly) and a better EV strength production, but it’s not enough to outweigh was Crosby did that season. Crosby still had a better and more impressive sophomore season overall than McDavid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad