The 23rd Best Player In NHL History

Who's the 23rd best player in NHL history?

• Total voters

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Best Players in NHL history (according to previous poll results):

1. Wayne Gretzky
2. Mario Lemieux
3. Bobby Orr
4. Gordie Howe
5. Jaromir Jagr
6. Sidney Crosby
7. Dominik Hasek
8. Alexander Ovechkin
9. Jean Beliveau
10. Bobby Hull
11. Maurice Richard
12. Nicklas Lidstrom
13. Patrick Roy
14. Ray Bourque
15. Doug Harvey
16. Mark Messier
17. Phil Esposito
18. Guy Lafleur
19. Martin Brodeur
20. Joe Sakic
21. Steve Yzerman
22. Evgeni Malkin

To be added:

Bill Cook
Dickie Moore
Bill Durnan
Bernie Geoffrion

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
How is Dale Hawerchuk not on the list already. He's better than most on the voting poll currently.

Yuri35

Mar 11, 2018
Malkin at 22?! He isn't even top 100 :sarcasm:

I’ll just dump this here from the Avs’ board so people realize how redicolous it is that Sakic is #20 and Forsberg’s still not voted in.

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/forsberg-vs-sakic.2561279/#post-151370533

I think Sakic himself would be embarrassed to see that as he has himself repeatedly said that he thought Foppa was the best player in the world back then.
And you could not even say he was doing a Greztsky there (which means being ridiculously humble to the point your rating of the other great players look foolish).

Yuri35

Mar 11, 2018
Malkin over Bossy, Potvin, Nighbor, Morenz, and Shore is downright criminal.

Sid over Bossy in itself is criminal if you only look at the stats and the prize list (both individually and collectively).
Unless you think Sid is a FAR better player than geno which then is even more criminal.

GlitchMarner

Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Malkin over Bossy, Potvin, Nighbor, Morenz, and Shore is downright criminal.

What about Malkin over Clarke or Mikita? I don't think he's surpassed Mikita yet. Not sure about Bobby.

Oh, and is Forsberg really going to beat Bossy, Mikita, Potvin and Clarke now?

Yuri35

Mar 11, 2018
Crosby over Bossy is at least defensible. Malkin over Bossy is not.

Perhaps a tad bit more defensible than Malkin over Bossy but quite clearly not as much as you're trying to make it sound.
Unless of course you believe Crosby is a far better player than Malkin which is not defensible in any way.....

Yuri35

Mar 11, 2018
What about Malkin over Clarke or Mikita? I don't think he's surpassed Mikita yet. Not sure about Bobby.

Oh, and is Forsberg really going to beat Bossy, Mikita, Potvin and Clarke now?

Both Malkin and Foppa have the ultimate combo of individual stats-prize list-eye factor so that's not so surprising to see them get rated that highly.
And at their peak, there are very few players in history who can match them, be it in regular season or in POs (especially in POs when it comes to Foppa).
Luckily for other players who are in front of them in that list, they were both heavily handicaped by injuries and missed quite a few individual trophies only because of that.

Reactions: Ben White

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
Perhaps a tad bit more defensible than Malkin over Bossy but quite clearly not as much as you're trying to make it sound.
Unless of course you believe Crosby is a far better player than Malkin which is not defensible in any way.....
Dude, Crosby is and should be ranked higher than Bossy. Count the Harts, the Art Rosses, and the Conn Smythes. Hey, they even have the same number of Richards / retro-Richards! The only thing Bossy has on Crosby is his insane consistency as a goalscorer. In every other aspect of the game Crosby has Bossy beaten... and Crosby's career isn't over yet.

I have Crosby in my Top 15 and Bossy in the Top 25.

Reactions: Hockey Outsider

Yuri35

Mar 11, 2018
Dude, Crosby is and should be ranked higher than Bossy. Count the Harts, the Art Rosses, and the Conn Smythes. Hey, they even have the same number of Richards / retro-Richards! The only thing Bossy has on Crosby is his insane consistency as a goalscorer. In every other aspect of the game Crosby has Bossy beaten... and Crosby's career isn't over yet.

I have Crosby in my Top 15 and Bossy in the Top 25.

If you put such importance on those achievements then Malkin should also equally be ranked higher than Bossy, especially considering his CS run is one of the best of all time (contrary to Sid's CSs where you have at least one of them which has a huge *).

Not to mention the rest of your post could also apply favourably to Malkin comparatively to Bossy.
Funnily enough, you don't mention the career PPG (a much used -and with good reasons admitedly- argument by Crosby's biggest fanboys to justify his greatness) where Bossy has Sid and Geno well beaten.

Double standard?

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
There seems to be no rhyme or reason to these voting results

If we're talking about the "best" players ever, McDavid and Lindros would've already been voted on, and yet McDavid still isn't even an option

News flash: Phil Esposito was not better than Connor McDavid or Eric Lindros

GlitchMarner

Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
There seems to be no rhyme or reason to these voting results

If we're talking about the "best" players ever, McDavid and Lindros would've already been voted on, and yet McDavid still isn't even an option

News flash: Phil Esposito was not better than Connor McDavid or Eric Lindros

I don't know if anyone on here thinks Esposito was a more talented player than McDavid. Esposito didn't have his speed or skating ability.

However, he was a very talented player himself and he accomplished a lot. He has five scoring titles. He could stickhandle and pass and he was money from the slot. McDavid's only been in the NHL for three full seasons and he missed a significant chunk of one of them. The HOH board is a doing a top 100 players project and I'm sure Esposito will wind up ranked higher than McDavid in that project as well (I honestly don't think McDavid will make their final list).

Even though this is a "best players" project, rankings of this nature in hockey tend to place value in factors like longevity and career accomplishments.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I don't know if anyone on here thinks Esposito was a more talented player than McDavid. Esposito didn't have his speed or skating ability.

However, he was a very talented player himself and he accomplished a lot. He has five scoring titles. He could stickhandle and pass and he was money from the slot. McDavid's only been in the NHL for three full seasons and he missed a significant chunk of one of them. The HOH board is a doing a top 100 players project and I'm sure Esposito will wind up ranked higher than McDavid in that project as well (I honestly don't think McDavid will make their final list).

Even though this is a "best players" project, rankings of this nature in hockey tend to place value in factors like longevity and career accomplishments.

Both of which are irrelevant in a discussion about who's the best

If we were to vote for the best guitarist ever, is anyone choosing Keith Richards over Jimi Hendrix because of longevity and career accomplishments?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad