Movies: The 2024 Oscars Thread

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I thought the thing at the end with the kid was just a tad too .. I don't want to say unbelievable but it did feel a bit convenient/magical. Enough at least that I found myself bumping on it. I look forward to watching again though and seeing if it still bothers me.

I think it's emotionally very effective -- which is likely the point. But I wrestled with the logic of the realizations and reactions.

100 percent agreed. Also felt that the prosecution going with the very trite and easy 'but you write this in your books' to be pretty lazy as a (closing?) argument without it being clear that they were grasping at straws.

Really good film though.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I see your point.

What I took from that ending was more ambiguity. The kid's conclusion is actually quite a stretch on what the dad actually said. It didn't sound at all like a suicide warning to me, just a reasonable opinion, that the kid reached for which was enough to tip the very delicate balance in his mother's favour.

If I remember right, aren't there a couple of occasions where the kid subtly avoids his mother immediately after the verdict? More ambiguity. I think she did it.

If there were any justice in the world, Messi the dog would be picking up a supporting actor Oscar tonight.
Questions like these are why I think it'll play better for me in the future. But first time around it threw me for a bit of a "wait ... what?" moment.

Incredible performances all around. Including the kid and dog. The big fight and how it's dealt with in and out of the courtroom is great stuff all around.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Questions like these are why I think it'll play better for me in the future. But first time around it threw me for a bit of a "wait ... what?" moment.

Incredible performances all around. Including the kid and dog. The big fight and how it's dealt with in and out of the courtroom is great stuff all around.
Turns out Messi's big near-death scene, the one I thought sure the director had intentionally poisoned the mutt, was acting. I read that during his little Hollywood tour, the dog repeated it again in front of Ryan Gosling and freaked Gosling the hell out.

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
Anatomy of a Fall

SPIDER-MAN: ACROSS THE SPIDER-VERSE​

Society of the Snow
Past Lives
Poor Things
The Zone of Interest
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3

all those movies were better than
Oppenheimer. My favorite was Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3. Hoping Anatomy of a Fall can pull the upset.

I am also hoping that
LILY GLADSTONE won't win best actress if not it's a clear case of reverse-racism like Coda winning best picture when the movie should not have been even nominated.

SANDRA HÜLLER has 2 performances better than her just this year. Emma Stone and CAREY MULLIGAN were also better than GLADSTONE and the lead actress in Past Lives was also better.

Reactions: Zeppo

Timeless Winter

SaveD the Crew
Oct 13, 2006
Cleveland, Ohio
Anatomy of a Fall

SPIDER-MAN: ACROSS THE SPIDER-VERSE​

Society of the Snow
Past Lives
Poor Things
The Zone of Interest
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3

all those movies were better than
Oppenheimer. My favorite was Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3. Hoping Anatomy of a Fall can pull the upset.

I am also hoping that
LILY GLADSTONE won't win best actress if not it's a clear case of reverse-racism like Coda winning best picture when the movie should not have been even nominated.

SANDRA HÜLLER has 2 performances better than her just this year. Emma Stone and CAREY MULLIGAN were also better than GLADSTONE and the lead actress in Past Lives was also better.

Did you watch Killers of the Flower Moon? Gladstone most certainly would deserve the award, she was incredible. Emma Stone was also incredible but Gladstone would be a solid winner.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
looking forward to this i guess.

Last year was the first time ive watched it in like 20+ years and found some good movies to watch that ive never heard of including one of my favorites ive seen in a long time Banshees of Inisherin.

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
Did you watch Killers of the Flower Moon? Gladstone most certainly would deserve the award, she was incredible. Emma Stone was also incredible but Gladstone would be a solid winner.
I have watched it. It's easily the worse movie nominated for the best picture this year. A cold and soulless movie.

Gladstone did the best she could with the very little material and dialog she has been given. Most of her performance was with her eyes. She did good with very little but not enough to beat HÜLLER or Stone.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
The only two movies I haven't watched are Killers of a Flower Moon and Zone of Interest.

Is Lily Gladstone truly better than Emma Stone in Poor Things? After watching it, I figured nobody would come close.

I'm hoping for a Paul Giammati Best Actor but respect Cillian Murphys performance in Oppenheimer.

Society of the Snow is criminally underrated. It's way better than Past Lives and I have it above a few others in the best picture nominations.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Hoping Paul Giamatti gets his Oscar. He absolutely deserves it. Emma Stone would also be my choice, but it will almost surely go to Lily Gladstone who gave a fantastic performance herself.

I wonder when Bradley Cooper finally gets his? Always the bridesmaid, never the bride. Must suck to always be so close but never quite get there.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The Boy and the Heron with a mild but we'll deserved upset over Spiderman.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Another Oscar they'll have to mail to Miyazaki only for him to probably throw it out or something.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Äh.... I don't like Oscars as much as Cannes and its getting woke anyway... oh well. Will Smith

Nakatomi

Dec 26, 2022
I hope Poor Things cleans up. Though I have not yet seen American Fiction for head to head comparison.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They put Arnold and Danny DeVito on the same stage at the same time without referencing Junior

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Godzilla and on about a tenth of a Hollywood budget. Love it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad