Movies: The 2024 Oscars Thread

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
They put Arnold and Danny DeVito on the same stage at the same time without referencing Junior
Twins would have been the better reference.

What that said, Iegit lol'd when Arnold told Keaton he had a lot of nerve showing up.

Also, Imagine the year is 1987 and you're telling since 16 year old stoner kid that Slash will be laying down guitar for a Barbie song as an old man.

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
I did like how Jimmy Kimmel was positive as host. In the last decade they have had comedians on these various award shows (like Ricky Gervais) that have had very negative routines to get cheap laughs. Oscars had very positive presentations this year.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
One of the better Oscars in recent memory.

No qualms with any of the winners. Kimmel was fine enough and gosling stole the show with that performance.

No complaints here.

Reactions: kihei

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Show solidified my feeling that Ryan Gosling probably gave what's going to be the most enduring performance from last year. No disrespect to the winners and other nominees, but I think that's the one we're going to be seeing in clips and the one we'll still be talking about 5, 10 years from now.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Who would have thought the funny girl from Superbad would have this kind of career though.
Is she the youngest to win her second Best Actress Leading Role Oscar?

EDIT : Nah, Hillary Swank had already won two when she turned 31. There may be others, but that one was obvious.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
The Boy and the Heron with a mild but we'll deserved upset over Spiderman.

I hated the boy and the heron, an absolute boring jumbled mess of a movie storyline wise. Only won because of the name behind it and nothing more to me.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Show solidified my feeling that Ryan Gosling probably gave what's going to be the most enduring performance from last year. No disrespect to the winners and other nominees, but I think that's the one we're going to be seeing in clips and the one we'll still be talking about 5, 10 years from now.
I'm goin' with Messi, myself. 😊

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I have some feeling that all atractive Western females actualy have ancestry from Russian women who leave russia due to revolution or in more recent times. Natural none estern European women not so prettie
Nah, you probably just aren't as attracted to women as you think you are.

Reactions: Beau Knows

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Twins would have been the better reference.

What that said, Iegit lol'd when Arnold told Keaton he had a lot of nerve showing up.

Also, Imagine the year is 1987 and you're telling since 16 year old stoner kid that Slash will be laying down guitar for a Barbie song as an old man.

In 1987 most people would not have been aware of Slash. Even though AFD was released in 1987, it didn't blow up until mid 1988. Yeah, I'm being pedantic. I get your point though. :laugh:

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
I have some feeling that all atractive Western females actualy have ancestry from Russian women who leave russia due to revolution or in more recent times. Natural none estern European women not so prettie
As a person who is wrapped up in this diaspora, we have many lookers, but so does everyone else. Case in point: Salma Hayek

• Haha
Reactions: MXD

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Who would have thought the funny girl from Superbad would have this kind of career though.
I'm not surprised. It was clear to me after Easy A that Emma Stone was going to get some serious hardware.

Plus, she acted attracted to Jonah Hill at his fattest, so even in her very first role she showed she had what it takes.

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
I completely forgot that Stone won a Best Actress already for La La Land. I thought this one was her first.

Looking at previous winners, I'm a bit surprised how few multiple best actress winners there have been, recently anyways. Not looking, I would have guessed that Streep had 5 or 6 in her bag already, and Blanchette, Winslet and Mirren each would have at least 2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad