Prospect Info: The 2024 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Which player are you most looking forward to?

• Cole Hutson, LD [USNTDP, USHL]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Artyom Levshunov, RD [Michigan State Spartans, NCAA]

• Zayne Parekh, RD [Saginaw Spirit, OHL]

• Total voters

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
With the way everyone bitches about the 2nd round picks the Avalanche have taken do you have a problem with that?
I'm mostly joking but hey, for what they've gotten out of those picks (Toews especially) no, definitely no problem with that!

That said, the bigger issue of them getting legit prospects out of the low first round and beyond is still something that needs to be addressed. Don't know if things are finally turning the corner under Klipp but I hate how conservative they've been about fixing their drafting.

Reactions: TatteredTornNFrayed

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Levshunov is going to be a big time disappointment. Heard it here first.
He needs development and is probably 2-3 years away from a big NHL role... but his tools are elite. Going to be one of those guys that needs to go to a good org who won't rush him and will have a good partner for him to stabilize the lapses in the defensive zone. It is a bit more boom/bust than most, but his raw skill set is arguably the best in the draft.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
He needs development and is probably 2-3 years away from a big NHL role... but his tools are elite. Going to be one of those guys that needs to go to a good org who won't rush him and will have a good partner for him to stabilize the lapses in the defensive zone. It is a bit more boom/bust than most, but his raw skill set is arguably the best in the draft.
The tools are nice. But I don't think they are so good that he can impact at the next level on tools alone. Factor in questionable offensive instincts and meaningful compete/intensity/urgency issues.. I just don't see what he is in the NHL. Doesn't have the instincts to be a big point producer. Struggles big time with the puck under pressure. Tools to be a shutdown type, but has the mountain to climb there.

I see Evan Bouchard/Sergachev as a good case with a realistic outcome much worse than that.

Agree he should be nowhere but MSU next year.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The tools are nice. But I don't think they are so good that he can impact at the next level on tools alone. Factor in questionable offensive instincts and meaningful compete/intensity/urgency issues.. I just don't see what he is in the NHL. Doesn't have the instincts to be a big point producer. Struggles big time with the puck under pressure. Tools to be a shutdown type, but has the mountain to climb there.

I see Evan Bouchard/Sergachev as a good case with a realistic outcome much worse than that.

Agree he should be nowhere but MSU next year.
I can see Sergachev really easily (and I don't get why people have a love affair with him). He's big, skates incredibly well, strong, can be mean, all the hands you could want, and a great shot. I see all the physical tools of a #1D. IQ is a big question... and it comes down to is it that his progression has been too fast or is it that he's just a dummy? Going from Belarus juniors to USHL to NCAA in back to back to back seasons is an enormous jump... and in each he's gotten a lot better as the season goes (he was atrocious defensively for 2-3 months in Green Bay... by the end he was fantastic). He's risky, but I can see the appeal.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
I can see Sergachev really easily (and I don't get why people have a love affair with him). He's big, skates incredibly well, strong, can be mean, all the hands you could want, and a great shot. I see all the physical tools of a #1D. IQ is a big question... and it comes down to is it that his progression has been too fast or is it that he's just a dummy? Going from Belarus juniors to USHL to NCAA in back to back to back seasons is an enormous jump... and in each he's gotten a lot better as the season goes (he was atrocious defensively for 2-3 months in Green Bay... by the end he was fantastic). He's risky, but I can see the appeal.
Think it holds him back and I don't buy it's because of his path. It's unique in the sense he's from Belarus, but plenty of players have had similar. Just picking another State defenseman, Strbak, went Finland U20 -> USHL -> State. At the end of the day, he's had 2 seasons in North America now and has the same struggles.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Think it holds him back and I don't buy it's because of his path. It's unique in the sense he's from Belarus, but plenty of players have had similar. Just picking another State defenseman, Strbak, went Finland U20 -> USHL -> State. At the end of the day, he's had 2 seasons in North America now and has the same struggles.
Belarus U18 isn't even Junior A level NA hockey. Finnish U20 is far, far superior. I see the issues, but the progression question should be a part of the evaluation. It would be more concerning if he didn't dramatically improve as seasons went on. He did it in Green Bay and he's done it at Michigan State... where that ultimately lands is up in the air.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
What do you guys think of Luca Marrelli for our pick? I guess he would be a bit of a reach with our 1st Rd but he seems like a good fit for the Avs, and they would have seen a lot of him playing with Ritchie. Maybe trade down a few spots and get another pick at the same time?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
What do you guys think of Luca Marrelli for our pick? I guess he would be a bit of a reach with our 1st Rd but he seems like a good fit for the Avs, and they would have seen a lot of him playing with Ritchie. Maybe trade down a few spots and get another pick at the same time?
He's a 2nd/3rd round guy. There will be better D available if that is the route they go.

BobRossColton

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
Who wouldn't be too much of a reach for a late 1st?

Or Nikita Artomonov? We could've been watching him on torpedo while keeping an eye on kovalenko.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Who wouldn't be too much of a reach for a late 1st?

Or Nikita Artomonov? We could've been watching him on torpedo while keeping an eye on kovalenko.
Trevor Connelly when he falls like a rock tossed into the Grand Canyon on draft day.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Trevor Connelly when he falls like a rock tossed into the Grand Canyon on draft day.
Do you think the Avs would actually go for him? I have to be honest, I wouldn't be mad if they did. Unlike Mitchell Miller it seems like he's saying and doing the right things to rehabilitate himself instead of just paying lip service to the process. I don't think what he did was nearly as bad as Miller's abuse, either. No doubt there will be a sizable group of fans who would hate the move, but if he's there in the late 1st that's a pick I would make. He's got legit first line potential, that's probably worth the gamble unless the hockey people have some inside information about him that isn't public.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Levshunov is really vanilla to me, not sure if I would pick him over Buium as they currently stand. However, I think Hench might be right that he could just be raw at the moment. I do see the talent of why he's considered a top 5 player; large defenceman with very smooth skating ability, great passing, and always has his head up to utilise that passing. His play led to Michigan's State GTG today, which then allowed them to win in OT.

Those are big-time plays that you want to see, but he tends to disappear too much for my liking or not really involved in the game. I don't see him ever being a threat to score goals from the back-end though and that might limit my view of him being a top 5 prospect, he seems more of a transition two-way defender with superb passing ability - where he should get a lot of assists. Picture him playing like and having a similar stat line to Filip Hronek. If he has more talent than what he's currently shown, he could reach the next tier and become a Josh Morrissey-level defenceman, which is someone you would hope to get if you're drafting him in the top 5. Watching him though, really caught my eye for another Spartan defenceman, David Gucciardi, but sadly I just found out that he's a Capitals draft pick. Really solid selection there.

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Do you think the Avs would actually go for him? I have to be honest, I wouldn't be mad if they did. Unlike Mitchell Miller it seems like he's saying and doing the right things to rehabilitate himself instead of just paying lip service to the process. I don't think what he did was nearly as bad as Miller's abuse, either. No doubt there will be a sizable group of fans who would hate the move, but if he's there in the late 1st that's a pick I would make. He's got legit first line potential, that's probably worth the gamble unless the hockey people have some inside information about him that isn't public.
All teams are doing their homework and the Avs are a team that has checked in more than the average. That doesn’t mean they will, but at least looking into it. The Avs are an org that has taken chances on character before and will continue to do so. They may PR it, but they aren’t really any different in this area than most teams.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I think the biggest risk for Levshunov is Bogosian. Built like a tank players who have amazing talent at a young age…. But just can’t make that talent come together. The flashes are utterly tantalizing, but the substance isn’t there yet.

I think this years crop of defensemen are all kinda like that (sans Dickinson). High talent players with some strengths, but real weakness and very raw. Yakemchuck has the size, right shot, offensive tool, and physicality that screams top 5 pick…. But man oh man can he be bad defensively or do some really dumb things. On the opposite, you have Emery who checks every box you could want…. But why does he add so little to the offensive side of the game?

Comfort with which risk your team is taking is probably going to determine the order. San Jose would be comfortable with Levshunov but probably not Buium.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
I think the biggest risk for Levshunov is Bogosian. Built like a tank players who have amazing talent at a young age…. But just can’t make that talent come together. The flashes are utterly tantalizing, but the substance isn’t there yet.

I think this years crop of defensemen are all kinda like that (sans Dickinson). High talent players with some strengths, but real weakness and very raw. Yakemchuck has the size, right shot, offensive tool, and physicality that screams top 5 pick…. But man oh man can he be bad defensively or do some really dumb things. On the opposite, you have Emery who checks every box you could want…. But why does he add so little to the offensive side of the game?

Comfort with which risk your team is taking is probably going to determine the order. San Jose would be comfortable with Levshunov but probably not Buium.
Yeah Bogo is a good one. I think he ends up something like that. There a lot of issues with Lev, but I can't look past how bad he is under pressure. Tools like Sergachev but a lot of the same issues of an Evan Bouchard. Yesterday's game was really the epitome of his season. Bad for 59 minutes but makes a play few could to save MSU's season.

I'm really high on Emery and have mentioned him a few times in this thread. Doesn't take too many risks but pretty decent first pass and can make simple reads with the puck. But can tilt the ice with his reach and skating. He would be target #1 for me if I'm the Avs.

I also like Connelly as a prospect. He may fall but he's a top 10 talent in my eyes. He'll need to adjust how he plays as he advances, but think there is clear 1st line upside.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Yeah Bogo is a good one. I think he ends up something like that. There a lot of issues with Lev, but I can't look past how bad he is under pressure. Tools like Sergachev but a lot of the same issues of an Evan Bouchard. Yesterday's game was really the epitome of his season. Bad for 59 minutes but makes a play few could to save MSU's season.

I'm really high on Emery and have mentioned him a few times in this thread. Doesn't take too many risks but pretty decent first pass and can make simple reads with the puck. But can tilt the ice with his reach and skating. He would be target #1 for me if I'm the Avs.

I also like Connelly as a prospect. He may fall but he's a top 10 talent in my eyes. He'll need to adjust how he plays as he advances, but think there is clear 1st line upside.
Emery reminds me of Tanev a lot... just a fantastic defensive player and puck mover, but has zero dynamic mindset (I think he has the talent).

On pure talent, I think Connelly is a top 3 talent... I think if the other things fall in line, he's going to be a star player in the league. The off the ice stuff is big though. It is tricky deciphering between the hyperbole and reality on him... and depending on who you talk to, you get different reads. Some team will take a chance and they'll have a chance to have a steal.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
Emery reminds me of Tanev a lot... just a fantastic defensive player and puck mover, but has zero dynamic mindset (I think he has the talent).

On pure talent, I think Connelly is a top 3 talent... I think if the other things fall in line, he's going to be a star player in the league. The off the ice stuff is big though. It is tricky deciphering between the hyperbole and reality on him... and depending on who you talk to, you get different reads. Some team will take a chance and they'll have a chance to have a steal.
Agree with everything you said here.

Emery had some of that when he came to ntdp, but it's been phased out of his game. I've thought the Tanev comp too and that would still be a good outcome if he's 'only' that good.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
What did Connelly do? I haven't paid attention to a lot of the secondary stuff so I am not sure if he is a Miller scumbag or a Wolski beater.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad