Prospect Info: The 2024 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Which player are you most looking forward to?

• Cole Hutson, LD [USNTDP, USHL]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Artyom Levshunov, RD [Michigan State Spartans, NCAA]

• Zayne Parekh, RD [Saginaw Spirit, OHL]

• Total voters

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
The Avs prospect base has needs across the board. Even if they draft a good RHD, that prospect likely won't be ready within the Avs' current window.

I wish the Avs would finally put some actual effort toward drafting and developing an actual goaltending prospect.

But why? They've clearly figured out a pretty good system with the goaltending right now with the Grubauer, Kuemper, and George.

Why spend a high draft pick on a goalie, when you can find goalies like Georgiev for mid to late picks and turn them into above average starters on cheap contracts.

IMO they shouldn't make any changes to how they're evaluating the goaltending position. What there are doing now is working very well.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
But why? They've clearly figured out a pretty good system with the goaltending right now with the Grubauer, Kuemper, and George.

Why spend a high draft pick on a goalie, when you can find goalies like Georgiev for mid to late picks and turn them into above average starters on cheap contracts.

IMO they shouldn't make any changes to how they're evaluating the goaltending position. What there are doing now is working very well.
Does Jussi have a say in the drafting or scouting of goalies at either the amateur or professional level? Or does he just whisper in their ears and keep the demons at bay?

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
I'd either like to change my vote or change the poll question to 'who is the most underwhelming prospect of the 2024 draft?' Levshunov may be there at the Avs pick the way he's playing.

I'm not super impressed with year's class. From what I've seen, there's a large gap between Celebrini and Eiserman and everyone else. Good year to win the lottery.

I'd guess the Avs trade the pick anyway, but we'll see.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I'd either like to change my vote or change the poll question to 'who is the most underwhelming prospect of the 2024 draft?' Levshunov may be there at the Avs pick the way he's playing.

I'm not super impressed with year's class. From what I've seen, there's a large gap between Celebrini and Eiserman and everyone else. Good year to win the lottery.

I'd guess the Avs trade the pick anyway, but we'll see.
Same with me voting Kiviharju. Actually the answer is now Helenius.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I don't know about y'all but I'm really optimistic about the player our 1st rounder will be used to acquire...at the trade deadline.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
futurama-good-news-everyone.gif

Capture.JPG

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Trying a little harder to get a goalie would not upend their efforts to bolster the prospect base in other areas. It’s dumb that they’ve put time and money into getting a goalie development coach in Peter Budaj and give him the talent equivalent of table scraps and some half-eaten mutton pulled out of the dog’s mouth and expect to get a meal outta that.

I mean, who they gonna miss out on if they actually use higher picks to get a goalie? The next Martin Kaut? Another Brandon Saigeon?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I stand by the best goalie drafting system would be 1 first rounder every 4 years and 1 forth to 6th rounder in between. You don't over spend on picks, you have a constant supply of goalies, and you take a chance on the high end guys who actually pan out at a higher level than mid to late 1st skater picks.

Way too many defensemen in the top 10. There won't be 5 selected 4-10. People need to keep an eye on Boisvert. Big frame, excellent shot, creative, can skate... he's raw and makes a ton of mistakes, but he arguably has the best physical skill set in the draft.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
The Avs problem with goaltending is they're not confident in their ability to identify NHL goalies in the draft.

If they automatically spend a 1st every few years, they're asking for trouble, because they're not letting knowledge drive their decisions, and they don't have a track record of success drafting goalies. So the odds are even higher than other teams that they'd waste that 1st.

The solution to this is to bring in scouts that are good at evaluating young goaltenders, and have a track record of doing so, so they can improve their confidence, and make the selections when there's a goaltender available they like. They need to pay scouts like this though.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
  • Wow
Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I stand by the best goalie drafting system would be 1 first rounder every 4 years and 1 forth to 6th rounder in between. You don't over spend on picks, you have a constant supply of goalies, and you take a chance on the high end guys who actually pan out at a higher level than mid to late 1st skater picks.

What's wild is they could have stuck to their plan of picking goalies in the 7th round if they were actually good at picking goalies and ended up with Primeau, Wolf, Levi, etc.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

Top kid is from the USHL. Surprised that @henchman21 has been this quiet about him so far :sarcasm:
Hagen truly is a Jack Hughes clone, but some really underrating Misa there. I think it's a bit unfair to call him "Shane Wright 2.0" in a draft that is practically two years away. So much can change, especially with Misa potentially getting better.

Way too many defensemen in the top 10. There won't be 5 selected 4-10. People need to keep an eye on Boisvert. Big frame, excellent shot, creative, can skate... he's raw and makes a ton of mistakes, but he arguably has the best physical skill set in the draft.
I meant about Minny winning the draft lottery. Celebrini and Bedard welcome to the division in back-to-back years. Blackhawk fans will become once again very obnoxious in about three seasons when Avs degrade and they upgrade.

Last edited:

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Hagen truly is a Jack Hughes clone, but some really underrating Misa there. I think it's a bit unfair to call him "Shane Wright 2.0" in a draft that is practically two years away. So much can change, especially with Misa potentially getting better.

I meant about Minny winning the draft lottery. Celebrini and Bedard welcome to the division in back-to-back years. Blackhawk fans will become once again very obvious in about three seasons when Avs degrade and they upgrade.
That shit starts back up the Avs should look into hiring MacDermid as an usher.

UnkleKraker

May 31, 2007
Washington State
The Avs problem with goaltending is they're not confident in their ability to identify NHL goalies in the draft.

If they automatically spend a 1st every few years, they're asking for trouble, because they're not letting knowledge drive their decisions, and they don't have a track record of success drafting goalies. So the odds are even higher than other teams that they'd waste that 1st.

The solution to this is to bring in scouts that are good at evaluating young goaltenders, and have a track record of doing so, so they can improve their confidence, and make the selections when there's a goaltender available they like. They need to pay scouts like this though.
The solution exists right on this board. Hire @Gigantor The Goalie

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I only care about who's ranked #32. And to be honest, I don't even expect us to use that pick ourselves.
So you want to know about Shuravin... okay ;)

Big rangy defensemen in a pretty typical Russian mold. Can skate, moves the puck well, good at retrieval, uses his frame well, and gaps... makes a lot of little mental mistakes and takes risks he shouldn't, will get called a lot for holding in the NHL as the feet don't move as much as you'd want when defending in close. When he's off, he's also wildly off too. There is a lot to like his game projects as a top 4 guy with a defensive slant to his game, but will have a bit of underrated talent if you round off the edges.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad