GDT: The 2023 NHL Entry Draft, June 28 - 29, 2023

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Here it is: The 2023 NHL Draft GDT.

Our list of picks is for reference below. I will update the OP if we make any deals with some of these picks throughout the day.

Will also try to update the OP as picks are made, and link to each prospect's discussion thread.

RoundPick#OAConditionsPick Made/Disposition
1stDET9N/A9OA: Nate Danielson
1stNYI17From Vancouver (1 Mar 2023). Hronek Trade.17OA: Axel Sandin Pellikka
2ndDET41
2ndSTL42From St. Louis (21 Mar 2022). Leddy Trade
2ndVan43From Vancouver (1 Mar 2023). Hronek Trade.
3rdDET73
4thMIN117From Minnesota (3 Mar 2023). Sundqvist Trade.
5thDET137
6thDET169
7thDET201

Last edited:

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
Just for fun, this is my draft. Did it as the draft went along. Not claiming to know better than the Wings (or others), it's just my picks based on what I've seen from these players this year with my own eyes. See ya in the future.

1 (9). Zach Benson (LW)
1 (17). Gabriel Perreault (LW)
2 (41). Lukas Dragicevic (RD)
2 (42). Jakub Dvorak (LD)
2 (47). Danny Nelson (C)
3 (73). Mathieu Cataford (RW)
4 (117). James Clark (C)
5 (137). Vojtech Port (RD)
5 (147). Petter Vesterheim (C)
6 (169). Logan Cunningham (G)
7 (201). Kocha Delic (C)

Petter Vesterheim
Logan Cunningham
Daniil O Ivanov
Hannes Hellberg
Matthew Soto
Michael Hagens
Ivan Vydrenkov
Kocha Delic
Anton Ohlsson
Charlie Cerrato
Cole Miller

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
If you honestly think SY knows more than every other hockey mind combined and does so 100% of the time then thats your prerogative.

Im just not sure thats true.

If you think its possible to have differing opinions then you're welcome on this site
This. You guys act like the players the rest of us want are being shot into the sun when Yzerman doesn’t take them. No, they’re being taken by other teams. It is hubris to assume that our scouting is infallible and the scouting of teams like Buffalo (Benson), Minnesota (Heidt), and Chicago (Lardis) is bad. Especially when Buffalo had repeatedly hit on their picks for years. They’ve been one of the best drafting teams and then picking Benson is more of the same.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I'm not gonna waste any breath on anything after round 3, because that's just a crapshoot.

Dower Nilsson is a good pick, but wtf were those three 2nds? I get that a lot of these skilled players past round 1 don't turn out, I get that we scout for a hobby while it's their job, etc. etc. I'm usually on the side of optimism here, and this doesn't change my optimistic outlook for the team as a whole. Regardless, we had a chance to take three big swings for offense here. There's a whole laundry list of players we could have taken. Instead we bunted for two guys who appear to be at best 3rd pair dmen (I've seen more of Cleveland than Gibson) and then a goalie, who I don't mind in a vaccuum, but he wasn't even the best goalie on the board and with the context of the lack of forward swings isn't a great pick.

We absolutely needed to add at least one high potential forward with those picks and we didn't.

stillwater

cellar door
Mar 17, 2011
What kinds of scouting do you do? 5 minute youtube videos from some idiot, and looking at Bob MacKenzie's top propects? That type of "scouting"?

Where are the threads, I still have no clue who Detroit drafted after Dower-Nilsson
Pretty certain most posters have thrown in the towel already. But, we'll see you next June

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023
This. You guys act like the players the rest of us want are being shot into the sun when Yzerman doesn’t take them. No, they’re being taken by other teams. It is hubris to assume that our scouting is infallible and the scouting of teams like Buffalo (Benson), Minnesota (Heidt), and Chicago (Lardis) is bad. Especially when Buffalo had repeatedly hit on their picks for years. They’ve been one of the best drafting teams and then picking Benson is more of the same.

Yeah, they've hit on their draft picks so hard that they were drafting 13th.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Can a brother get a post-game draft discussion thread?

Let me sum it up for you.
wah.jpg

Realgud

Nov 4, 2013
What kinds of scouting do you do? 5 minute youtube videos from some idiot, and looking at Bob MacKenzie's top propects? That type of "scouting"?
Not sure if you're talking to me or not but I watched around 400 prospects this year. I record and watch many games. I try to watch every "known" prospect at least twice and other top prospects or my favourites a lot more. It doesn't take as much time as it sounds. I can skip through my recorded games to only watch a specific prospect's shifts, but watching full games does allow me to spot other "hidden" players. It's a fun little hobby and it makes the draft a lot more fun.

stillwater

cellar door
Mar 17, 2011
Not sure if you're talking to me or not but I watched around 400 prospects this year. I record and watch many games. I try to watch every "known" prospect at least twice and other top prospects or my favourites a lot more. It doesn't take as much time as it sounds. I can skip through my recorded games to only watch a specific prospect's shifts, but watching full games does allow me to spot other "hidden" players. It's a fun little hobby and it makes the draft a lot more fun.
I'm not.

Reactions: Realgud

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Did you have an analysis on Jack Phelan?

Chad Smiley

Oct 9, 2020
I hope it works out well but Yzerman and his group have a broken draft philosophy. They continuously leave more talented players on the board for safe picks with lower ceilings. I simply don't understand it. We've got enough low ceiling safe players in the system. They rarely swing for the fences and I have no clue why they don't value scoring.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023
And SY is drafting where again!?

For as much as everyone was been f***in deepthroating Buffalo and their wonderous talent pool... I'd expect for them to pick a little bit more than four picks later than Detroit. That's the issue. Buffalo has been super successful in the draft and to listen to it here, Detroit doesn't know what they're doing.

Realgud

Nov 4, 2013
Did you have an analysis on Jack Phelan?
The best I can give you is that I have watched Sioux Falls and he didn't stand out :laugh:

I really don't remember the guy. He wasn't on any list so I didn't pay attention to him in particular but usually a few "unranked" guys will catch my eye and he didn't, unfortunately.

Among our picks, I can only confidently say that I have watched our picks in the first 3 rounds, after that it's a whole lot of unknown for me with the Wings draft. You won't see me judge these picks too harshly as a result, I won't claim to know better if I haven't even properly watched them. This Wings draft is particular is really out of left field for many of these 4th round+ picks. I have no idea :help:

There are many "unknown" 6th-7th rounders from the other teams that I actually like and know very well, but not from the Wings.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
For as much as everyone was been f***in deepthroating Buffalo and their wonderous talent pool... I'd expect for them to pick a little bit more than four picks later than Detroit. That's the issue. Buffalo has been super successful in the draft and to listen to it here, Detroit doesn't know what they're doing.

Their guys are just cracking the lineup.

Power, Quinn and Peterka were rookies. Cozens a third year player. Krebs a sophomore.

The kids on their team look tremendous. They still have gaping holes on defense and in net that they didn't address that lead to them only picking a few spots higher than Detroit. But their holes are also easier to address than Detroit's holes.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
I hope it works out well but Yzerman and his group have a broken draft philosophy. They continuously leave more talented players on the board for safe picks with lower ceilings. I simply don't understand it. We've got enough low ceiling safe players in the system. They rarely swing for the fences and I have no clue why they don't value scoring.
Scoring costs money.

Reactions: PelagicJoe

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Their guys are just cracking the lineup.

Power, Quinn and Peterka were rookies. Cozens a third year player. Krebs a sophomore.

The kids on their team look tremendous. They still have gaping holes on defense and in net that they didn't address that lead to them only picking a few spots higher than Detroit. But their holes are also easier to address than Detroit's holes.
You just named a bunch of first rounders and a kid taken 33rd overall.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Just for fun, this is my draft. Did it as the draft went along. Not claiming to know better than the Wings (or others), it's just my picks based on what I've seen from these players this year with my own eyes. See ya in the future.

1 (9). Zach Benson (LW)
1 (17). Gabriel Perreault (LW)
2 (41). Lukas Dragicevic (RD)
2 (42). Jakub Dvorak (LD)
2 (47). Danny Nelson (C)
3 (73). Mathieu Cataford (RW)
4 (117). James Clark (C)
5 (137). Vojtech Port (RD)
5 (147). Petter Vesterheim (C)
6 (169). Logan Cunningham (G)
7 (201). Kocha Delic (C)

Petter Vesterheim
Logan Cunningham
Daniil O Ivanov
Hannes Hellberg
Matthew Soto
Michael Hagens
Ivan Vydrenkov
Kocha Delic
Anton Ohlsson
Charlie Cerrato
Cole Miller
After Dvorsky, Barlow being right there, I didn't have the heart to continue. I do know Nilsson, Fisker Molgaard, Nelson were on my short list for the 2nd round. Beyond that it's whatever, but those first 5 picks aren't inspiring. C'est la vie...

• Love
Reactions: Realgud

Realgud

Nov 4, 2013
After Dvorsky, Barlow being right there, I didn't have the heart to continue. I do know Nilsson, Fisker Molgaard, Nelson were on my short list for the 2nd round. Beyond that it's whatever, but those first 5 picks aren't inspiring. C'est la vie...
I cringed for Ogee when they traded 43 just for Nilsson to be picked at that exact pick... lmao

• Wow
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad