GDT: The 2023 NHL Entry Draft, June 28 - 29, 2023

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Here it is: The 2023 NHL Draft GDT.

Our list of picks is for reference below. I will update the OP if we make any deals with some of these picks throughout the day.

Will also try to update the OP as picks are made, and link to each prospect's discussion thread.

RoundPick#OAConditionsPick Made/Disposition
1stDET9N/A9OA: Nate Danielson
1stNYI17From Vancouver (1 Mar 2023). Hronek Trade.17OA: Axel Sandin Pellikka
2ndDET41
2ndSTL42From St. Louis (21 Mar 2022). Leddy Trade
2ndVan43From Vancouver (1 Mar 2023). Hronek Trade.
3rdDET73
4thMIN117From Minnesota (3 Mar 2023). Sundqvist Trade.
5thDET137
6thDET169
7thDET201

Last edited:

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
You just named a bunch of first rounders and a kid taken 33rd overall.

And they're still very good, and all pretty close in age for a core group. And then the 3 1sts from last year looking like good additions to that core.

They also added Benson and Wahlberg this year that both look like pretty solid potential players.

I cringed for Ogee when they traded 43 just for Nilsson to be picked at that exact pick... lmao

I wish there was a "sad face" like instead of just a "wow" face. When that pick went through my heart broke a little.

Reactions: Realgud

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
And they're still very good, and all pretty close in age for a core group. And then the 3 1sts from last year looking like good additions to that core.

They also added Benson and Wahlberg this year that both look like pretty solid potential players.

I wish there was a "sad face" like instead of just a "wow" face. When that pick went through my heart broke a little.
:puppy:

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
With all the draft related name changes I don't know who is who anymore.

Who is Roomba with a bauer and Axel Sandy Pelican?
mystery_800x.jpg

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
For as much as everyone was been f***in deepthroating Buffalo and their wonderous talent pool... I'd expect for them to pick a little bit more than four picks later than Detroit. That's the issue. Buffalo has been super successful in the draft and to listen to it here, Detroit doesn't know what they're doing.

This is a bit of a teach dont you think?

So many factors at play in building a successful team should not preclude one from thinking that one team seems better at drafting then another..

SY gets alot of platitudes, and maybe he should, but he has now had 7 top 17 draft picks and soon to be 9 so he is on the clock.

Kucherovs, Vasilveskys and Points are the expectation, as its because of those players many feel he shouldn't be questioned.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Just when i thought i had Yzerman figured out, big man puts up his middle fingers and says "Santos, you don't know shit"

First he picks a small defenseman and then before today he has drafted 2 players from NTDP in 12 years, and now he picks 2 players in one round from NTDP. And one of them is a 6'1'' goalie! Stevie Y stays unpredictable.

Yzerman must have "dirty" after picking ASP but he redeemed himself to him by taking 4 massive d-men during the 2nd day. :laugh:

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023
Their guys are just cracking the lineup.

Power, Quinn and Peterka were rookies. Cozens a third year player. Krebs a sophomore.

The kids on their team look tremendous. They still have gaping holes on defense and in net that they didn't address that lead to them only picking a few spots higher than Detroit. But their holes are also easier to address than Detroit's holes.

The problem is that they landed these upper end guys and all of them are gonna end up needing huge raises. And yet they don’t have a good enough D or goalie.

Buffalo is also several rebuild years ahead of Detroit. Can’t compare those on Page 8 with a silver spoon in their mouth vs those on page 4 with little draft luck.
This is a bit of a teach dont you think?

So many factors at play in building a successful team should not preclude one from thinking that one team seems better at drafting then another..

SY gets alot of platitudes, and maybe he should, but he has now had 7 top 17 draft picks and soon to be 9 so he is on the clock.

Kucherovs, Vasilveskys and Points are the expectation, as its because of those players many feel he shouldn't be questioned.

Bottom line, I don’t want to hear anything about Buffalo’s great roster till they make the playoffs. Because yes, they’ve gotten talent and Tage Thompson exploded. But honestly they’ve done it with first and second overalls. It would be galling if they didn’t land talent. And

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
The problem is that they landed these upper end guys and all of them are gonna end up needing huge raises. And yet they don’t have a good enough D or goalie.

Buffalo is also several rebuild years ahead of Detroit. Can’t compare those on Page 8 with a silver spoon in their mouth vs those on page 4 with little draft luck.

Bottom line, I don’t want to hear anything about Buffalo’s great roster till they make the playoffs. Because yes, they’ve gotten talent and Tage Thompson exploded. But honestly they’ve done it with first and second overalls. It would be galling if they didn’t land talent. And

I don’t think Buffalo rebuilding LONGER than Detroit puts them ahead. They rebuilt their rebuild starting in 2019 because they f***ed up by spending stupid money on the wrong FAs and drafted poorly from 2010 to 2018.

I’ll give them credit for good choices, and they got lucky with Thompson and Dahlin.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I cringed for Ogee when they traded 43 just for Nilsson to be picked at that exact pick... lmao

That is both funny and super weird that he made a bet on that guy, and not only does Detroit not take him, he gets picked with a Detroit traded pick. Weird how stuff like that happens sometimes.

Roomba was
  1. Schroedingers Cat
Sandy was
  1. I Liked Dan Cleary

I hate that the r in roomba goes on its own line in the avy.

Reactions: Realgud

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
This. You guys act like the players the rest of us want are being shot into the sun when Yzerman doesn’t take them. No, they’re being taken by other teams. It is hubris to assume that our scouting is infallible and the scouting of teams like Buffalo (Benson), Minnesota (Heidt), and Chicago (Lardis) is bad. Especially when Buffalo had repeatedly hit on their picks for years. They’ve been one of the best drafting teams and then picking Benson is more of the same.
Buffalo's best players are Thompson (trade), Dahlin (#1OA) and Power (#1OA).

They are building a good team but their main problem right now is defense/goaltending and I'm not sure how much adding Benson and Savoie into that mix will help and Rosén looked like a bust to me in the SHL, might still have potential though.
Minnesota has won how many cups? What's their center depth? Defense? Chicago... yeah, I'm sure Bedard will just ride Lardis' coattails..

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I don’t think Buffalo rebuilding LONGER than Detroit puts them ahead. They rebuilt their rebuild starting in 2019 because they f***ed up by spending stupid money on the wrong FAs and drafted poorly from 2010 to 2018.

I’ll give them credit for good choices, and they got lucky with Thompson and Dahlin.

Kevyn Adams has been superior GM. Everything changed, after he took the torch.

Buffalo has been my laughing stock for years, but man, now it's time to start respect them. They are doing great work.

Of course, they were lucky b-tards with those lottery wins.

But still, that rebuild after rebuild, it was great work Adams to fix the first youth-wave by trading Eichel, and all before that Eichel era out, to build the next wave, which seems to be good. Maybe big change on the lokerroom etc.

Same things Yzerman is adjusting now at Detroit. His master plan is to suffle the lockeroom as long as he'll find the right personalities, with skill, at right positions, to have contender. The right personalities do the final push, because they demand so much from themselves, and from teammates.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I think Tage and Cozens was good scouting by them. Got Kulich last year. They are good at evaluating center prospecrs.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

Why does Buffalos previous rebuild under a different GM count in the total years they've spent rebuilding, but ours only started under current GM?

Different standard?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad