OT: The 2023 Holiday Thread

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
Thanks Wally....
We have a ton of Christmas movies.....last year we got a late start and didn't watch even half, including the classics

What is everyones favs?

Gotta go with The Santa Clause, Polar Express, Grinch
The Nativity Story is quite good

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
The Bride and I already have pretty much finished up Christmas shopping. Wanted to get it out of the way and just reduce stress during the season. Just want to take it all in.

We are going to Ogunquit in December for their Christmas celebration.

Flying my daughter and her fiancé in Dec22 for a week.

Christmas Eve at my sister’s a tradition she now hosts since mom passed

Only shopping I’ll have left is if @EverettMike has his annual toy drive.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
I normally put out Thanksgiving stuff, but I think I decided to go straight to Christmas to enjoy it better. I'll take down the outside Halloween stuff tomorrow. Start slow. Especially while the weather is good.

Christmas is an emotional time for me. It's my favorite Holiday. I look at pictures from my youth and I cry. I miss those who are no longer with us. But I am so happy to be with the ones who are.

Time to get the Christmas spirit going!

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Thanks Wally....
We have a ton of Christmas movies.....last year we got a late start and didn't watch even half, including the classics

What is everyones favs?

Gotta go with The Santa Clause, Polar Express, Grinch
The Nativity Story is quite good
We love Christmas movies but not the Hallmark type ones. Favourites that we watch each year:
Christmas Vacation
The Santa Clause
Scrooged
A Christmas Story

I make about 12 dozen different cookies, bars, etc. which makes hundreds of goodies, then share them with family and friends. If anyone has really good, tried and true recipes for gluten-free, I would love to get them. My daughter can't tolerate wheat anymore so I have no experience in that regard!

First Christmas without my Dad, second without Mom.

I love Christmas music too and have fond memories of reading the kids all the Christmas books for the whole month of December - I still have them. I really should sit everyone down on Christmas Eve and read to them....lol They would probably love it for old times sakes - they are in their early 30s now.

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
Movie is Christmas vacation and Christmas carol. The original. We have xmas dinner here st my place since my parents passed. Traditional Italian xmas eve. All seafood no meat. We now alternate with my daughter every boxing day we go to Sudbury Ontario where they live to see the grankids

Reactions: Gee Wally and caz16

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I took out my Yankee Candle Christmas candles the other day. I won't be here so I figured I'd at least make it smell like the holiday.

For Christmas, my favorites are:
Singing Carols
Mistletoe
Shimmering Christmas Tree (testing this one out later on)
Balsam and Clove
Holiday Zest
White Spruce and Grapefruit

For Thanksgiving, my favorites are:
Honeycrisp Apple Cider
Ciderhouse
Harvest
Cranberry Chutney
Black Tea and Lemon (More of a fall-ish scent but I absolutely love it)

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Generally not a fan of holidays.

I’m a creature of habit and social situations make me anxious, particularly in the days leading up.

Doing Thanksgiving at my wife’s aunt’s this year.

We’ll do Christmas Eve at home with baby.
8pm Mass which I’m looking forward to.

In terms of movies, Die Hard and Love, Actually.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Favorite Christmas cartoon ?

Twas the Night Before Christmas (the one with the mouse who makes Santa mad)
I have so many favourites! This one makes me warm and fuzzy because my daughters loved it so much. I used to decorate their doll house on Christmas Eve with tiny lights and decorations, they believed in the fairies. Special memories.

1699181533843.jpeg

Reactions: shelbysdad

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I got this really pretty champagne and pearl berry garland at Michael's yesterday. I had a rewards certificate so I got it and a few ceramic diy ornaments. Everything is 40% off which is an incredible deal if you are looking for any decor.

full

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Favorite time of year for sure. Lampoon`s Christmas Vacation, Bad Santa some of my fav`s.

We always go here and love it for the holidays

Another tradition me and Mrs. Odaat have is, December 3rd her birthday, we always go out for dinner and we then go pick out our Christmas tree.

Too expensive to fly my son out this year which is too bad, be nice if one he made his way out here, he is 27 after all but fat chance in that happening:laugh:

Other than that, I start decorating the house on November 12th here, day after Remembrance Day

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
I think it gets more important for me every year to just embrace the sparkle of the season. Holiday decor can be really disruptive in my industry, so I tend to not add too much overwhelm. Adding too much fire in too many places is very chaotic. It has to be well intended.

In the past we've concentrated on trees and enhancing what we can in a desert climate. We have new cactus this year in the front, so I'm excited to do something subtly cute.

Here's some favs from past years.....that Sago palm is now deceased :( and the giant century is in the back yard currently.

Attachments

• image(10).jpg
    image(10).jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20211205_005411231~2.jpg
    PXL_20211205_005411231~2.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20211205_011733297.jpg
    PXL_20211205_011733297.jpg
    293.5 KB · Views: 2
  • PXL_20211205_154912491.jpg
    PXL_20211205_154912491.jpg
    362.5 KB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20211222_155703840.jpg
    PXL_20211222_155703840.jpg
    389.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Love
Reactions: BMC

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Our neighbours across the street had their Christmas lights turned on last night. I still think waiting until November 12th is the better way to go, let Remembrance Day get the spotlight first.

We have a Christmas tree in the village where I live and they raise money by "selling" the bulbs. They are $5 to light and you can light them in memory of a loved one, etc., they read the names on the night the tree is fully lit. It is beautiful - I'll buy a few this year and it makes me happy to think my relatives and friends are acknowledged in our little village each year, even though only in spirit.
1699266322370.jpeg

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I have no idea what I'll be doing for the holidays this year. Last year was tough it was the first holiday season without Mom who always went all out for Christmas. This year I'll be recovering from surgery. Last Thanksgiving we went to my sister's former sister in law's for Thanksgiving but if the weather is bad I'll stay home & they can bring me a plate.

I haven't even thought about Christmas which is unusual. Most of the time I've finished my Christmas shopping by Thanksgiving!

🦃 🎄

Reactions: caz16

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
I started putting small things out. It isn't completely done yet. I painted the maple leaf painting but the rest (minus my degree) is from Target.

full

full
Having the red and the star/triangle shapes with your diploma are very auspicious and beneficial from an energy perspective.

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
Off to a good start ....got the archway Judy up today.....and no lights out !

We have more pine cones than I have ever seen from our pine trees.....if anyone would like pine cones for decorating I can mail you some.....hit me up
garland.JPG

Reactions: caz16 and sooshii

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad