Prospect Info: The 2023-2024 Prospects Thread Pt. 3

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Myrenberg would have been nice to keep
That sure not what you said a the time of the trade. Here's what you said and my response

DiPietro sucks and Myrenburg would be like 20th on the depth chart

Instead we got a depth NHL/AHL forward. The chances of those guys ever being near where Studnicka is right now is very slim.

Myrenburg would be no where near 20th on our Prospect board. Various sources rate him Boston's top RD defenseman. At 20 he is playing full time in the SHL. Myrenburg has very good size and is very good skater.

At least Myrenburg has chance to be something if he can develop his defensive game. Studnicka is the kind of player you can pick up any time for nothing. Been better players on waivers this year. In fact, Studnicka was about to go on waivers when we traded for him.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Yep.....when you step to the plate and take a cut on NHL trades, there are a few you'll whiff on. Studnicka was a worthwhile gamble from Boston for Myrenberg and DiPietro. But unfortunately it didn't work out.

Although they did flip Stucknicka to the Sharks for Nick Cicek and a sixth rounder in the upcoming draft. The Canucks drafted Myrenberg in fifth round in 2021, so maybe they can find a replacement with another early sixth rounder this spring.
In an important sense, that 6th round pick won't be a replacement for Myrenberg.

Rutherford, justifying the trade at the time, said that Myrenberg was five years away from making the NHL (potentially, of course). That was 2 1/2 years ago. He might be a bit ahead of schedule at this point (and, of course it's still just a "potential" NHLer we're talking about), but even on that timeline, he's got a shot to contribute during the time of what many project as the Canucks' current window.

The 6th rounder in the upcoming draft? Not so much. It'd take much more than that 6th rounder to re-acquire Myrenberg now. Not a big deal, certainly, but I was down on that (minor) trade the moment it was made.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
In an important sense, that 6th round pick won't be a replacement for Myrenberg.

Rutherford, justifying the trade at the time, said that Myrenberg was five years away from making the NHL (potentially, of course). That was 2 1/2 years ago. He might be a bit ahead of schedule at this point (and, of course it's still just a "potential" NHLer we're talking about), but even on that timeline, he's got a shot to contribute during the time of what many project as the Canucks' current window.

The 6th rounder in the upcoming draft? Not so much. It'd take much more than that 6th rounder to re-acquire Myrenberg now. Not a big deal, certainly, but I was down on that (minor) trade the moment it was made.
It was a bad trade from the day it was made imo. But nothing close to the Forsling for Clendening one. We traded a prospect who was trending up from his draft for a plug who can be acquired for free every year.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
That sure not what you said a the time of the trade. Here's what you said and my response

Myrenburg would be no where near 20th on our Prospect board. Various sources rate him Boston's top RD defenseman. At 20 he is playing full time in the SHL. Myrenburg has very good size and is very good skater.

At least Myrenburg has chance to be something if he can develop his defensive game. Studnicka is the kind of player you can pick up any time for nothing. Been better players on waivers this year. In fact, Studnicka was about to go on waivers when we traded for him.
Yeah, in hindsight lmfao.

Myrenberg’s development has made considerable strides since then. Like from a wash out, wasted Benning pick that likely wasn’t getting a contract to another teams best RD prospect as you say. When does that normally happen?

I still agree by my original statement btw. Studnicka just turned out to be trash. Had we made a trade for Eyssimont, Tolvanen, or whoever was waiver fodder at the time for the above prospects it would have been regarded as a great trade right now in hindsight.

We traded a 5th for Lafferty who was going on waivers before the start of the year, it’s literally the same type of trade.

Last edited:

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
myrenberg had already played 15 games in the SEL as an 18 year old at the time he was traded. he had already exceeded expectations. it was a bad trade from day one
Is there really that much worry over a player who's projecting to turn out like Filip Johansson?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

His season was a disaster, obviously, so a change can't hurt.

He has size and playmaking ability but my concern last year was that his lack of motor would limit his opportunities moving up levels and it appears that's exactly what happened.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Didn't Gardner suffer a serious knee injury that required surgery when he was playing in the USHL? Thought I read about it somewhere.

He's listed a 6'5" and over 200 pounds, so I suppose there' a chance that the injury has slowed his development, particularly in the skating department. Of course there's also a possibility that he never had very good wheels to begin with.

But he' still only 20. And despite his disastrous season at Clarkson, I suppose there's a chance he could be a different player by the time he's 23. A small chance--granted, But the Canucks are under no pressure to make a decision on him.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
Dave Hall
It's NCAA Frozen Four semifinals day, and the #Canucks have four prospects:• 2:00 p.m: Boston University (Tom Willander and Aiden Celebrini) vs. Denver.• 5:30 p.m: Boston College (Jack Malone) vs. Michigan (Jacob Truscott).Winners advance to the finals on Satutday.

Reactions: Lindgren

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Dave Hall
It's NCAA Frozen Four semifinals day, and the #Canucks have four prospects:• 2:00 p.m: Boston University (Tom Willander and Aiden Celebrini) vs. Denver.• 5:30 p.m: Boston College (Jack Malone) vs. Michigan (Jacob Truscott).Winners advance to the finals on Satutday.
And Kudryavtsev and Bloom get their series underway at 4:05.

Just think of all the action there'll be in this thread through the afternoon and evening!

Reactions: alternate

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
And Kudryavtsev and Bloom get their series underway at 4:05.

Just think of all the action there'll be in this thread through the afternoon and evening!
I don't hold a lot of hope for Bloom. Not sure the hockey IQ is there to find a role in higher levels even in a bottom 6 role.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
From what I can gather, Denver and Boston College are overwhelming favorites to make the Frozen Four final. But in a one-game playoff I suppose any upset can happen......a super hot goaltender is often enough to do the trick.

Wilander we know all about.....but Aiden Cellebrini is a bit of mystery. He didn't get a ton of ice-time at BU. But had a decent career in the AJHL. What is his ceiling?

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
From what I can gather, Denver and Boston College are overwhelming favorites to make the Frozen Four final.
BU was favoured over Denver.

1-1 after regulation and BU has 47 seconds on the PK to start OT. Willander has played mostly okay, a safe and steady style without much contribution to BU's offensive attacks. Made a mental error that contributed to the Denver goal and took a tripping penalty in the third period when an opponent was getting around him near the blue line, but has looked alright on the whole.

Aiden Celebrini has been stapled to the bench as the seventh defenceman. His little brother hasn't stood out and taken control of the game but it's easy to see what the fuss is about. Just looks rock solid as an all-around player in the NCAA at age 17. No particular weakness.

Reactions: Lindgren

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
BU was favoured over Denver.

1-1 after regulation and BU has 47 seconds on the PK to start OT. Willander has played mostly okay, a safe and steady style without much contribution to BU's offensive attacks. Made a mental error that contributed to the Denver goal and took a tripping penalty in the third period when an opponent was getting around him near the blue line, but has looked alright on the whole.

Aiden Celebrini has been stapled to the bench as the seventh defenceman. His little brother hasn't stood out and taken control of the game but it's easy to see what the fuss is about. Just looks rock solid as an all-around player in the NCAA at age 17. No particular weakness.

I’m blaming that mistake 95% on Hutson for the goal.
Hell 99%

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Hell 99%
Hutson made the giveaway but Wilander had no reason to go behind the net when the guy that he had been guarding in front of the net was beating him to the end boards to cut off that passing lane.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
Hell 99%

it was definitely more hutson's fault but willander just kinda disengaged from the play the second hutson got the puck and was way out of position as a result

he also had a terrible turnover that led directly to denver's best chance in the first. my biggest problem with willander is that if you told me one of the defenders in this game was a lottery pick he'd be like the 7th or 8th player i'd guess based on this game alone. both buium's, hutson, webber, mccarthy and maybe gallagher and behrens have all looked better

the canucks should sign caron though; he's been fantastic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad