GDT: The 2022 NHL Entry Draft | July 7th - 8th | 7:00 PM ET | ESPN, ESPN+, SN, TVAS

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

so5Ihwj.png

TV SCHEDULE:

Round 1 - July 7th

NHL Tonight: Draft Preview Show (5:00 PM ET) - NHLN
NHL Entry Draft (7:00 PM ET) - ESPN, ESPN+, SN, TVAS
NHL Draft Recap Show (10:00 PM ET) - NHLN

Rounds 2-7 - July 8th

NHL Entry Draft (11:00 AM ET) - NHLN, ESPN+, SN, TVAS

DRAFT PICKS:

RndPickPlayerPosCountryHeightWeightLeagueTeam
131ISAAC HOWARDLWUSA5’10”180NTDPUS U-18
386LUCAS EDMONDSRWCAN/SWE5'10"181OHLKINGSTON
5160NICK MALIKGUSA/CZE6'1"177FINLANDKOOKOO
6192CONNOR KURTHRWUSA5'11"207USHLDUBUQUE
7223DYLLAN GILLDCAN6'2"179QMJHLROUYN-NORANDA
7224KLAVS VEINBERGSLWLAT6'3"198RUSSIA-JR.RIGA 2

TBL PICKS BETWEEN #30 - #39 OF THE PAST:

#37 Libor Hajek (2016)
#33 Mitchell Stephens (2015)
#35 Dominik Masin (2014)
#33 Adam Erne (2013)
#30 Vladimir Mihalik (2005)
#30 Andy Rogers (2004)
#34 Mike Egener (2003)
#34 Ruslan Zainullin (2000)
#33 Kyle Kos (1997)
#30 Mike McBain (1995)
#34 Colin Cloutier (1994)

RANKINGS:

TSN: Bob McKenzie's Top 100
TSN: Craig Button's Top 96
THN: Ryan Kennedy's Top 120
SN: Sam Cosentino's Top 32
NHL Central Scouting
ISS Hockey Top 32
FCHockey Top 300
THW: Matthew Zator's Top 128
THW: Peter Baracchini's Top 160
The Daily Faceoff: Chris Peters' Top 100
ESPN's top 225
EliteProspects.com's Top 32
McKeen's Top 32
HockeyProspect.com's Top 32
The Athletic: Scott Wheeler's Top 100 ($)
The Athletic: Corey Pronman's Top 131
Yahoo: Ian Kennedy's Top 32
SmahtScouting.com's Top 141
DobberProspects.com's Top 100

PICK TRACKER:

NHL.com | Sportsnet.ca

:lightningbolt

4ScT0pt.png

Last edited:
Reactions: SpitfireG

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Those picks from the past are quite alarming :laugh:
I mean to be fair, 3 of the 4 picked within the last 10 years have become NHL players. Could be better but there are definitely teams with worse records too. People just overrate the shit out of picks within that area.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I mean to be fair, 3 of the 4 picked within the last 10 years have become NHL players. Could be better but there are definitely teams with worse records too. People just overrate the shit out of picks within that area.
Yeah, I think people really over value 1sts outside of the top 4 or 5, GMs included. 2nds less so, but still. Any time you get an NHLer, you've done okay.

In the past decade our only 1st that has really worked out has been Vasy. I dont really know how to gauge DeAngelo or Drouin's career.

Honestly I feel like we have done a lot better with trading them.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Yeah, I think people really over value 1sts outside of the top 4 or 5, GMs included. 2nds less so, but still. Any time you get an NHLer, you've done okay.

In the past decade our only 1st that has really worked out has been Vasy. I dont really know how to gauge DeAngelo or Drouin's career.

I think management has understood this as fact that’s why we saw so many picks included in trades for players we really wanted (to get rid of).

OdinsFury

Oct 2, 2020
With the uncertainty of the russian players, I believe that drafting several of these russians who will fall in the draft will be the key to recouping the value of traded picks. TB does not need for them to play over here in NA for several years anyway and the war situation should be sorted out by then. I think trading the first round pick to get a 2nd and 3rd round pick in the draft is the smart play!

Reactions: Peacefool

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
We want Ivan?
I want Ivan. That's a best case scenario for us imo, but the draft board would have to really work in our favor.
Yeah not a lot of success here for us, but this is where Chicago nabbed DeBrincat (#39 in 2016) and Carolina found Aho (#35 in 2015).

Not sure if this part of the draft (the 30-39 range) speaks to how teams overall view these picks. You're taking someone who has cracks in their profile and has fallen out of the 1st round, or vice versa someone who you think has raised their stock to sneak into the 1st. These aren't sure things

Reactions: AHockeyFanatic

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I want Ivan. That's a best case scenario for us imo, but the draft board would have to really work in our favor.

Yeah not a lot of success here for us, but this is where Chicago nabbed DeBrincat (#39 in 2016) and Carolina found Aho (#35 in 2015).

Not sure if this part of the draft (the 30-39 range) speaks to how teams overall view these picks. You're taking someone who has cracks in their profile and has fallen out of the 1st round, or vice versa someone who you think has raised their stock to sneak into the 1st. These aren't sure things
I think quantity of picks is more important than quality, outside of the first few. We have a better track record than most of nabbing an nhler, but I really dont think we lose anything to trade 1sts for nhl talent on good contracts. Not when our average first answer out to something around namestnikov.

3rds, 4ths etc have such little trade value that we do better by picking.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

"There's an old saying, 'It takes a long time to become an overnight sensation,'" Murray explained. "We believe that."

"We're looking for people that want to work and become the best player they can possibly be. Then, because we have a strong team, sometimes it takes a little longer to crack a spot into our lineup."

"We need people that want to continue to work at what they need to improve on and I think a lot of the players on our team have gone through that and have come out the other end really solid, NHL players for a long time."

"It's not getting there first, but it's getting there when you're ready, and then staying a long time and having a good career."
"We think that there's groupings," Murray explained. "There's probably a group of 12 to 15 names that are at the top and then there's another group of about 20 names that are behind those guys and behind that's probably another 20 to 40 names."

"Depending on when our pick comes up, what players are left in those different groupings will help us determine whether we think it's in our best interest to stay and pick a player, because he's higher up on our list than maybe he is on some other lists, or whether the players that we view as value at a certain point have all been taken."
This year also features the added risk of drafting Russian-born players. ...

"We believe we've done our homework," Murray said. "If we take somebody from one of them, from Russia or from another country like Belarus, we think we're getting a really good prospect as a player and a really good person."

"We think we've done our homework on not only the people, but their situations and whether they're willing to come out or not. We think we've got all our ducks in a row. If we take somebody, we think we know what we're getting into."
"All the teams [last year] were in a situation where none of us had as much information as we'd like to have or could have," Murray said. "This year, I think we're fully prepared again, and we have more information, so hopefully we can make better decisions."

"I think if there's a theme in this draft, there's a lot of players that came into their various leagues a year and a half or two years ago. Some were expected to be really outstanding players and there's been a lot of players that have been good, but not great."

"I think it'll be interesting to see, down the road, if there's some kids that get taken later in this draft that pop and come back to be top prospects a year from now after they get more training back under their belt after having missed all or part of a season of development, because it's tough to lose that season of development."

Last edited:
Reactions: JFleegs

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
I think quantity of picks is more important than quality, outside of the first few. We have a better track record than most of nabbing an nhler, but I really dont think we lose anything to trade 1sts for nhl talent on good contracts. Not when our average first answer out to something around namestnikov.

3rds, 4ths etc have such little trade value that we do better by picking.

Yeah for us to make a trade like that in the 3rd or 4th round on. Our guys would probably have to be extremely high on a prospect and have legit fears a team will nab him before him. It's highly unlikely to be honest.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Potential NHL Draft 2030 preview

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Odds of killer being a bolt by the end of the day? I'd say around 65%. Decent, but still a chance he gets dealt.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
players i’d like with skill

Isaac Howard
Jagger Firkus
Ivan Miroshnichenko
Brad Lambert
Gleb Trikozov
Filip Mesar

please just don’t pick someone safe for once

Reactions: Zwui21

Ad