The 2022 Hockey Hall Of Fame

Apr 15, 2022
FLORIDA
HOCKEY HALL OF FAME

2022 INDUCTION ELIGIBLE PLAYERS

The annual meeting of the Selection Committee will be held on June 27 to select and announce the 2022 Hockey Hall of Fame inductees.

The selection announcement will be made live on June 27 on TSN (time TBC).

The Hockey Hall of Fame Selection Committee consists of 18 individuals appointed by the Board of Directors, whose mandate is to nominate and elect candidates as Honoured Members in the Player, Builder and Referee/Linesman categories. Player and Referee/Linesman candidates must have concluded their respective playing or officiating careers for a minimum of three playing seasons.

FIRST-YEAR ELIGIBLE NHL PLAYERS FOR INDUCTION 2022

Includes those first-year eligible in 2021 and 2022 as no Class of 2021 was named

Note: The below list includes only first-year eligible goaltenders that either played a minimum of 400 NHL regular season games, won over 200 NHL games, or recorded 25 or more NHL shutouts. The forwards and defenders listed either played a minimum of 1,000 NHL regular season games, or recorded a minimum of 300 goals, 400 assists or 700 points.

List does NOT include all players eligible for Induction in 2022

STATISTICAL LIST OF NON-HONOURED MEMBERS

The following lists do NOT include all players eligible for Induction in 2022.

The forwards and defencemen listed below either registered at least 400 NHL goals, 700 assists (500 for defencemen), 1,000 NHL points, or won at least six Stanley Cup titles, two Canada/World Cup titles, or are members of the "Triple Gold Club" (winners of the World Championship, Olympic Gold, and the Stanley Cup).

The goaltenders listed either played a minimum of 500 NHL regular season games, won over 250 NHL games, or recorded 50-or-more shutouts in the NHL.

The following list includes eligible players who have either registered at least 100 points in Senior World Championship play or received two-or-more Tournament Directorate Awards.

The following list includes eligible players who have either registered at least 50 points in IIHF Women's World Championship play, been named tournament Most Valuable Player or received two-or-more Tournament Directorate Awards.

First-year eligible players are noted by *.

MEDIA PREDICTIONS FOR THE 2022 HOCKEY HALL OF FAME

NHL - Hockey Hall of Fame Class of 2022 could include Sedin brothers
Forwards played 17 seasons with Canucks; Luongo, Zetterberg among those to be considered

NBC - Hockey Hall of Fame: Who will make up the Class of 2022?

The Score - Looking ahead to the 2022 Hockey Hall of Fame ballot: Who will get the call?

The Hockey Writers - Hockey Hall of Fame: Who Becomes Eligible in 2022?

Daily Face-off - Looking at candidates for the 2022 Hockey Hall of Fame class

ESPN - Way-too-early picks for the 2022 Hockey Hall of Fame class

BUILDER CATEGORY

Red Berenson
Herb Carnegie
Viktor Tikhonov
Ken Hitchcock
Mike Keenan
Bryan Murray
Marguerite Norris

PLAYER CATEGORY

Henrik Sedin
Daniel Sedin
Roberto Luongo
Henrik Zetterberg
Vincent Lecavalier
Brad Richards
Jere Lehtinen

Chris Osgood
Markus Naslund
Daniel Alfredsson
Sergei Gonchar
Milan Hejduk
Patrik Elias
Shane Doan
Rick Nash
Dan Boyle
Tim Thomas

Boris Mikhailov
Kent Nilsson
Gary Suter
Steve Larmer
Theo Fleury
Alexander Mogilny
Keith Tkachuk
Pierre Turgeon
Jeremy Roenick
Rod Brind'Amour
Tom Barrasso
Curtis Joseph

WOMEN'S HOCKEY

Meghan Duggan
Caroline Ouellette
Jennifer Botterill
Karyn Bye-Dietz
Natalie Darwitz
Maria Rooth
Riikka Sallinen

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
First year guys who have a shot are both Sedins, Luongo and Zetterberg. Eventually, you might think all 4 of them get in. I think Luongo has the strongest case to be a 1st ballot guy.

The Sedins will get in, mostly because there is a unique thing about identical twins getting in and playing together forever. Both had a very uninspiring PPG during their careers, were generally lousy or disappointing in the postseason and are as much to blame, if not more, than Luongo for the Canucks losing in 2011. It took them forever to become elite players, they were hovering far too long as 40 point guys. I like Henrik better because anyone who leads the NHL in assists three times is getting in. But you can't put one in without the other.

Zetterberg has those two huge playoff runs back to back, and I think that puts him over the top. Not to mention like the Sedins he played on one team his whole career, that helps. Career PPG not too shabby, but also keep in mind his defensive prowess.

So I think those 4 likely get in, but not all at once and not all right away. As for other players, it is the usual guys still waiting. Barrasso, Fleury, Alfredsson. All three should be in eventually I think. Mikhailov probably should be by now as well, but time is his enemy I think. Middleton is not listed here either.

Apr 15, 2022
FLORIDA
Any chance we will get 5 instead of 4 male player inductees this year because Henrik Sedin and Daniel Sedin are twins? What about 8 player inductees to make up for the lost year due to covid?

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
It's about time to have Boris Mikhailov in the HOF...
A good number of deserving non-NHL Europeans are still missing. It's time to have Firsov, Vasiliev, Maltsev, and Martinec in there, as well. Problem is, the hall in Toronto doesn't give too many craps about the accomplishments of these players. They basically just go on popular acclaim in north america.

So Mikhailov may be out because he kicked somebody once, ya know? We shall see. I hope the hall becomes at least somewhat more inclusive of European greats (though I don't need Bobrov in there), but I'm not holding my breath.

Reactions: double5son10

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
A good number of deserving non-NHL Europeans are still missing. It's time to have Firsov, Vasiliev, Maltsev, and Martinec in there, as well. Problem is, the hall in Toronto doesn't give too many craps about the accomplishments of these players. They basically just go on popular acclaim in north america.

So Mikhailov may be out because he kicked somebody once, ya know? We shall see. I hope the hall becomes at least somewhat more inclusive of European greats (though I don't need Bobrov in there), but I'm not holding my breath.
Plus, Russians aren't too popular right now in the media.

It would be a good time for Martinec or Holecek to get inducted. Czechs are underrepresented in the HHOF.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I predict they go with an all-Swede class.

Henrik Zetterberg
Henrik Sedin
Daniel Sedin
Daniel Alfredsson
That would be a very nice theme.
It's just a shame that Luongo is arguably more deserving than all of them and could probably break this theme

Reactions: NyQuil and wetcoast

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I'll predict Sedins, Luongo, and Zetterberg, though I'm not as confident of Zetterberg. I'd like to see them lessen the European backlog by at least putting in Firsov this year.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I would personally have Daniel Alfredsson in before the Sedins. I think Alfie needs to get in, and now. The Sedins can wait. Actually, the more I look back at the Sedins' career, the less convinced I am they're Hall-worthy. I mean, don't get me wrong, they're going to get in because the media loves them (and they are very nice, classy guys), plus the "twins angle" can't be beaten. I don't think the Sedins did anything that Markus Naslund didn't do.

Luongo should get in this year. A very consistent, very impressive career. (Very Henrik Lundqvist-esque. If Luongo had played for the Rangers, they'd have retired his number by now.)

Zetterberg is another player the hockey media loves, and he will get in -- this year, probably, or next. His playoffs in '08, '09, and '10 were epic.

If they want an "overlooked" kind of guy from years past, then Mikhailov or Turgeon.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I predict they go with an all-Swede class.

Henrik Zetterberg
Henrik Sedin
Daniel Sedin
Daniel Alfredsson

two henriks, two sedins, and two daniels, the headlines write themselves

That would be a very nice theme.
It's just a shame that Luongo is arguably more deserving than all of them and could probably break this theme

how about luongo, the sedins, and ivan hlinka?

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Hlinka would be as a... Player?

i’ll be honest that i know almost nothing about czechcoslovakian hockey in the 70s and couldn’t tell you whether hlinka or nedomansky or novy or anyone else does or doesn’t deserve to be in the HHOF. but i felt like hlinka would be an easier sell than krutov.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Kind of curious why Tim Thomas isn't a lock to get in ahead of many players that are being mentioned? Being considered the best goalie in the world twice is a pretty exclusive club.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Kind of curious why Tim Thomas isn't a lock to get in ahead of many players that are being mentioned? Being considered the best goalie in the world twice is a pretty exclusive club.
Only 9 NHL seasons as a regular isn't in his favor, when some of the competitors had 16 or 20. Only four playoff appearances, too.

Statistically, he had about 4 really good seasons.

Reactions: sureWhyNot

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Only 9 NHL seasons as a regular isn't in his favor, when some of the competitors had 16 or 20. Only four playoff appearances, too.

Statistically, he had about 4 really good seasons.

Same as Price and Fleury, but everyone's already cleaning off the red carpet for them.

It's telling when the only knock on Thomas is "he didnt play longer" which is to say if only Thomas had more mediocre seasons he'd be in, counterintuitive to what you'd think is needed to make the hall. He had 6 very good to great seasons: .917 in 06 on a terrible Bruins team and .921/.933/.915/.938/.920 from 08 to 12. GSAAs in those years of 18.8, 21.3, 41.0, 4.3, 45.8, 11.4

SV%

Thomas: 1,1,4,7
Price: 1,4,6,7,9
Fleury: 3,5,6,10

GAA

Thomas: 1,1
Price: 1,6,9
Fleury: 3,3,8,9

Point being, a Cup, Smythe and 2 Vezinas are nearly impossible to deny. He's got a unique career arc/story as the late bloomer (became a starter at 31) who became the best in the world, its pretty much the same as Kurt Warner in the NFL. He was bagging groceries and was an MVP a year later at 27, only had 6 good seasons but won a Superbowl, went to another and 2 MVPs

Last edited:

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Same as Price and Fleury, but everyone's already cleaning off the red carpet for them.

It's telling when the only knock on Thomas is "he didnt play longer" which is to say if only Thomas had more mediocre seasons he'd be in, counterintuitive to what you'd think is needed to make the hall. He had 6 very good to great seasons: .917 in 06 on a terrible Bruins team and .921/.933/.915/.938/.920 from 08 to 12. GSAAs in those years of 18.8, 21.3, 41.0, 4.3, 45.8, 11.4

SV%

Thomas: 1,1,4,7
Price: 1,4,6,7,9
Fleury: 3,5,6,10

GAA

Thomas: 1,1
Price: 1,6,9
Fleury: 3,3,8,9

Point being, a Cup, Smythe and 2 Vezinas are nearly impossible to deny. He's got a unique career arc/story as the late bloomer (became a starter at 31) who became the best in the world, its pretty much the same as Kurt Warner in the NFL. He was bagging groceries and was an MVP a year later at 27, only had 6 good seasons but won a Superbowl, went to another and 2 MVPs

i think it’s different for goalies. because half of the goalie stats are averages, not sums, playing extra mediocre years doesn’t help so much. at least not compared to a guy with 850 pts hanging on for some old man years of 40-50 pt to hit 1,000.

a decade after his peak, thomas is already outside the top 100 of games played. since the end of the 70s, what goalie has ever made the hall who didn’t play 650 games? and other than billy smith, everybody played 735+. thomas played 426. that’s a lot of longevity he has to make up.

Reactions: sureWhyNot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad