Prospect Info: The 2022 Draft Thread

Most Disappointing 1st Round Blunder under the Holland Draft Regime

• Passing on Zegras

• Passing on Wallstedt

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Time to turn our lowly eyes to the draft once again. If/when we miss the playoffs, Holland better not be the GM come the draft. What is this draft deep in? Forwards? Defensemen?

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Should be in a position to possible nab Matthew Savoie to play with Carter as we’ll be picking in the 5-10 range.

Sigh.

Reactions: MinimaMoralia

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
Should be in a position to possible nab Matthew Savoie to play with Carter as we’ll be picking in the 5-10 range.

Sigh.
The Alberta boys will lead us to greatness (M. Savoie, C. Savoie, Holloway, Skinner)

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
Well, at least the Savoie brothers can be the new faces of our 112th official rebuild.
Like the Sedins, but not.
A catchier slogan I dare you to come up with.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Any of you been to some Okotoks Oilers games?

I see there's a Calgary kid named Rieger Lorenz there ripping it up. 6'2'' center heading to Denver to play with Carter Savoie next year.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Any of you been to some Okotoks Oilers games?

I see there's a Calgary kid named Rieger Lorenz there ripping it up. 6'2'' center heading to Denver to play with Carter Savoie next year.

I’ll try and check out a game sometime. I live in Calgary, it’s a nice drive out to Okotoks and not too far.

I remember when the Makar hype was building I went and watched a Brooks Bandits game and did not regret the decision. He was unreal to watch.

This Lorenz kid has some nice boxcars right now and good success at Edge prior to playing in the AJHL. Good size too.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
2020-NHL-Draft-Montreal-1-575x323.jpg

Third times the charm, one of these threads this picture will be right

Wanted to get this thread out before Free Agency draws our attention elsewhere. Nothing like 12 months of excitement crescendoing and anticipation building to finally get to draft night and experience sheer and utter disappointment.

Which got me thinking. We're 3 drafts into the Holland & Wright regime. Are we able to glean any insights or patterns into their draft strategy? Here's some very loose threads.
  • 1st round mismangement (heh, last shot maybe, it's cathartic)
  • A higher propensity to look towards Russians (Konovalov, Denezhkin, Berezkin, Petrov)
  • Slightly more procurement out of the QMJHL (Lavoie, Bourgault, camp invite Burns)
  • Loosely, I'd say they value goal scoring over other offensive categories amongst their forward selections.

-*-*-*-​

Some storylines going into this draft season...

• How does the pandemic continue to effect leagues and prospects going forward. Are we going to get full seasons and viewings? Backup (bubble) plans? Will this be a more bonkers years than last?

• World Juniors in Edmonton & Red Deer.

• Teams are tearing down their rosters to compete in the Shane Wright lottery. Previous combatants Buffalo and Arizona re-engage in an epic losers battle. Does Columbus get in on the battle of the cellar dwellers? Does Montreal embrace holding the Draft and pay the ahem, Price for Wright.

• Early impressions: Looks like a slight boon year for the USNTDP program, there appears to be a cluster of premium RHD in the first round, and a higher top end than the 2021 Draft.

• Of interest to Oilers fans, Carter's brother Matthew Savoie is draft eligible. Some early preliminary rankings have him slipping. Maybe if we make up enough slander... :sarcasm:

• I don't know of any high marquee value potential franchise goalie in this draft for the Oilers to ignore.

• Apparently if your brother plays in the league your soul is already claimed. Conor Geekie & Cruz Lucius, please report to Seattle and Winnipeg respectively.

• Speaking of legacies, there are definitely more, but I see:
    [-] Twins Hugo Havelid (G) and Mattias Havelid (D)
    [-] Twins Marek Hejduk (F) and David Hejduk (D)
    [-] Joshua Niedermayer (D)
    [-] Konsta Kapanen (F)

Why wasn't there a "neither" option?

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
I wouldn't call either Zegras or Wallstadt "misses". We needed some quality on the back end and why would a goalie so touted drop to 20th OA? Wallstadt will definitely benefit under a defensive team like the Wild. Not sure how he'd look with the Oil. Wish Cossa was there at 20.

Sure, and after we drafted Broberg we still needed some quality on the back end. :sarcasm:

As for Wallstedt being there, don't look a gift horse in the mouth and galaxy brain it.

But if you don't agree then abstain from voting in the silly poll, nobody's making you. :)

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Sure, and after we drafted Broberg we still needed some quality on the back end. :sarcasm:

As for Wallstedt being there, don't look a gift horse in the mouth and galaxy brain it.

But if you don't agree then abstain from voting in the silly poll, nobody's making you. :)

I didn't vote. Just reading and making a comment.

Reactions: gordonhught

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Both are horrific blunders, i could not pick one.

The oilers are really good at avoiding players that fall into your lap unexpectedly. It goes back to parise.

And the whole org needs to take the blame for this not just holland. Holland like chia has people he listens to.

Andy Lehoux

Jan 2, 2018
Anyone know anything about Maveric Lamoureux?
Would he be a good pick for a top 4 RHD?

Lamoureux is definitely one of the most intriguing options coming out of the Q. He quickly stands out through his thrilling physical attributes, gifted defensive expertise, and surprising mobility. He's already making scouts drool over the idea of what could be — a lengthy, defensively brilliant, puck-rushing blueliner.

I wrote a deep dive on his game if you're interested.
ANALYSIS: MAVERIC LAMOUREUX IS A FASCINATING LONG-TERM PROJECT
Capture d’écran, le 2022-02-27 à 18.58.39.png

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Benjamin King over ager is right in front of our eyes, should pick up in the second round, has size can score

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad