Prospect Info: The 2022 Draft Thread

Most Disappointing 1st Round Blunder under the Holland Draft Regime

• Passing on Zegras

• Passing on Wallstedt

Results are only viewable after voting.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
I haven't specifically followed Lambert closely here in Finland, but from what I know I think the Oilers should probably take him if he falls. It seems Lambert's enthusiastic father is a big reason why Lambert is so skilled, but I think he may also be a big reason behind mental issues as it seems Lambert has carried an enourmous amount of pressure.

While Lambert may also disappoint I think he has a pretty good chance of becoming one of the best forwards in this draft. If he's available I'd say he's low to medium risk, high reward.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I haven't specifically followed Lambert closely here in Finland, but from what I know I think the Oilers should probably take him if he falls. It seems Lambert's enthusiastic father is a big reason why Lambert is so skilled, but I think he may also be a big reason behind mental issues as it seems Lambert has carried an enourmous amount of pressure.

While Lambert may also disappoint I think he has a pretty good chance of becoming one of the best forwards in this draft. If he's available I'd say he's low to medium risk, high reward.
Might be another Aatu Raty situation.

I bet teams are kicking themselves now after being scared away from his sophomore slump in the Liiga.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019

I bet teams are kicking themselves now after being scared away from his sophomore slump in the Liiga.
Raty came to my mind too, but there's some big differences in why they might be steals. I witnessed closely how my dear FEL team treated Raty in a way that made success almost impossible.

But Lambert has been given a fair chance to succeed, maybe not always optimal linemates, but fair amount of TOI and PP time. I don't know if it's true, but Lambert's father is said to pull the strings and is a big reason why Lambert has changed the team so many times. I believe Lambert's team has tried to push for every opportunity for Lambert to be a top pick and I wouldn't be surprised if this has messed his head. Joakim Kemell was the sensation of the autumn and he played in the same team with Lambert so I think Kemell succeeding and drawing attention gave him some extra pressure.

In the end I think the passion of Lambert's dad has given Lambert tools that could make him an elite forward in the NHL, but the pressure has hurt him and his draft position. That's how I'd speculate it, but I could be wrong.

Reactions: McDNicks17

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019

A bit more about this. I think this was one of the most unprofessional things I've witnessed in the NHL. How didn't they see what was happening? How on earth was e.g. Tuomaala (1+2 in the FEL last season) picked before him. Whoever suggested he should be chosen instead of Raty must feel pretty ashamed now. Things can always change, but in a redraft Raty could (and IMO should) be in top 10 and Tuomaala outside of 100. I don't mean this is a bad way towards Tuomaala, at his best he looked pretty good on the ice so I hope he gets his progress back. But I think he was never on the same level as a prospect.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com

I don't understand the Snuggerud ranking of 8.
Savoie at 19.
Nazar at 25.
Lambert at 42.
Chesley at 45.
Bichsel at 55.
Mesar at 59.
I thought Button was drinking when he made his list.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
I’ve poured through THN Draft Preview and I can’t think of a draft I’ve been less excited about. Partly it’s because the Oilers are picking late and have few picks, but it seems like there is not a lot of intriguing prospects out there. Very early in the first round the scouting reports start talking about limitations and 3rd line potential. Lots of small players this year too. I don’t know. I’m no talent Hawk compared to many on here but it feels worse than 2012.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
He is at 10 in my rankings and McGroarty just behind at 11. Really like these two players…hope other teams are sleeping on them.
It's kind of funny because I think that's almost the theme of the 1st round.

Conversely, that means other guys are going to fall down your rankings.

Are you going to be sleeping on the high end dmen like Mateychuk, Mintyukov and Korchinski?

The Swedish trio of Ostlund, Ohgren and Lekkerimaki?

The polarizing guys like Lambert, Yurov or Miroshnichenko?

The big guys in Bischel, PIckering, Gauthier or Geekie?

The little guys like Howard, Mesar, Hutson or Nazar?

It seems like everyone is sleeping on someone this year and NHL teams are probably going to be worse. It wouldn't surprise me if we see some VERY good players available when the Oilers are up.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Raty came to my mind too, but there's some big differences in why they might be steals. I witnessed closely how my dear FEL team treated Raty in a way that made success almost impossible.

But Lambert has been given a fair chance to succeed, maybe not always optimal linemates, but fair amount of TOI and PP time. I don't know if it's true, but Lambert's father is said to pull the strings and is a big reason why Lambert has changed the team so many times. I believe Lambert's team has tried to push for every opportunity for Lambert to be a top pick and I wouldn't be surprised if this has messed his head. Joakim Kemell was the sensation of the autumn and he played in the same team with Lambert so I think Kemell succeeding and drawing attention gave him some extra pressure.

In the end I think the passion of Lambert's dad has given Lambert tools that could make him an elite forward in the NHL, but the pressure has hurt him and his draft position. That's how I'd speculate it, but I could be wrong.

Such a unique situation. Kid has great Canadian hockey bloodlines with his father and uncle Lane Lambert. With the development path primarily of growing up in Finland. His Dad and uncle were smart, lunch bucket players who didn't cheat in their efforts on the ice. Lane Lambert has channeled all of these positive attributes into becoming a career coach culminating with succeeding Trotz on the Island.

Brad Lambert has also the natural skills and ability but seems like he was thrown into a deep end pro development path likely before he was ready mentally to compete against men while being chased by expectation of being an elite prospect. I feel there was a real missed opportunity when Lambert was taken in the CHL draft by his hometown Saskatoon Blades where he could have played his draft year against peer competition, in North America, and in an excellent junior league with most closely mirrors NHL schedule grind, travel and style of play. How different he might be perceived under this more realistic development path, especially as a talent that has generally always looked great against peer age competition.

I wouldn't sleep on Brad Lambert as a falling prospect who can easily put it together with a reset development path post-hyper expectation of an elite underage teenager thrown too soon into a pro world lifestyle. Most definitely a quality gamble if he falls to late first round territory, as credible draft guys like TSN/Sportnet project.

Reactions: Whyme

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
Such a unique situation. Kid has great Canadian hockey bloodlines with his father and uncle Lane Lambert. With the development path primarily of growing up in Finland. His Dad and uncle were smart, lunch bucket players who didn't cheat in their efforts on the ice. Lane Lambert has channeled all of these positive attributes into becoming a career coach culminating with succeeding Trotz on the Island.

Brad Lambert has also the natural skills and ability but seems like he was thrown into a deep end pro development path likely before he was ready mentally to compete against men while being chased by expectation of being an elite prospect. I feel there was a real missed opportunity when Lambert was taken in the CHL draft by his hometown Saskatoon Blades where he could have played his draft year against peer competition, in North America, and in an excellent junior league with most closely mirrors NHL schedule grind, travel and style of play. How different he might be perceived under this more realistic development path, especially as a talent that has generally always looked great against peer age competition.

I wouldn't sleep on Brad Lambert as a falling prospect who can easily put it together with a reset development path post-hyper expectation of an elite underage teenager thrown too soon into a pro world lifestyle. Most definitely a quality gamble if he falls to late first round territory, as credible draft guys like TSN/Sportnet project.
Plus he has an awesome mix of a Finnish-Canadian accent when he speaks English. :laugh:

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
It's kind of funny because I think that's almost the theme of the 1st round.

Conversely, that means other guys are going to fall down your rankings.

Are you going to be sleeping on the high end dmen like Mateychuk, Mintyukov and Korchinski?

The Swedish trio of Ostlund, Ohgren and Lekkerimaki?

The polarizing guys like Lambert, Yurov or Miroshnichenko?

The big guys in Bischel, PIckering, Gauthier or Geekie?

The little guys like Howard, Mesar, Hutson or Nazar?

It seems like everyone is sleeping on someone this year and NHL teams are probably going to be worse. It wouldn't surprise me if we see some VERY good players available when the Oilers are up.
Yeah, I've seen multiple mock drafts from the folks on The Athletic and a few other sources, and it seems that after pick 5 or 6 it is really all over the map with prospects like Bichsel, Pickering, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Yurov, Nazar, McGroarty etc ranging from pick 7-10 to the 20s. Should be very interesting to see how it eventually shakes out.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005

TheAthletic did a staff mock draft of the first round and I’m not impressed with DNB. You know you gone and screwed up when the team right after you is running up to the proverbial stage to pick.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3

TheAthletic did a staff mock draft of the first round and I’m not impressed with DNB. You know you gone and screwed up when the team right after you is running up to the proverbial stage to pick.

Who he draft and who fell?

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Plus he has an awesome mix of a Finnish-Canadian accent when he speaks English. :laugh:

Canadian hockey players make great breeders. Lambert is certainly a unique situation however Cutter Gauthier the latest with a Canada pro playing Daddy to bump up the American junior development system. I always respect Adam Foote who guided his kids to play for the Maple Leaf when they had options.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
Feels like a draft where the best player a decade later could be someone selected out of the top 3 (or 5).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad