GDT: The 2021 NHL Entry Draft Thread! Round 1, 8pm EST on ESPN2!

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Edvinsson sounds like a kind of scary pick, when you hear boom or bust. It seems like every prospect with a title like that always busts. Man do we need some of our #1's to actually be awesome and soon.

I am not really understanding this angle on him at all honestly. Edvinsson has a pretty secure floor in my opinion. Even if his offensive never quite clicks which is the worry you get the Bogosian or Stuart top 5 floor because he is a massive guy with plus skating that actually does play defense well. I mean I think the updated measurements are 6'5" 207 and he is probably a top 10 really probably top 5 skater in the entire draft. He is the kind of athlete that plays in the league a decent amount of time, even if the offense never quite pops. The other good thing here is between our 3 LD Swedes it seems likely one pops into a 1st pairing guy and that is ignoring the fact we might just get Werenski if the reports that he prefers to get back to Detroit as soon as possible are true. We have built a ton of defensive lottery tickets here, now look at the Flyers this week, we have seen that go bad before when the system still doesn't come together. But I at least see the build, it seems logical what Stevie is doing.

The gamble is do you believe he has more offense there. The tools suggest he should, I personally do, but I understand those that wonder. I think he has everything you could want, and I do hope we can pull all of that talent out of him. I think having a Mo Seider too, which some of the guys haven't for a bit is important here, I think he is going to help your Edvinsson, Wallinder, and Tuomisto types. I like what they are doing here, #3 in the Black Book and #3 in Bob's final rankings. I think this was an awesome pick, I understand the downside part, but I hope people also understand the upside.

I feel good about our back-end and goal after the last few days. We have a ways to go, but Yzerman is solving problems, filling the depth chart. Obviously we need more forward help, I suppose that will be an emphasis in 2022 and 2023, but I am starting to see the foundation and it looks sturdy and good. Hopefully get a couple of low round guys to click today.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Plus the other development out of last night no matter how you feel about Cossa, I will give you a Red Wings fan favorite Mursak here... You have to be happy that Art Regner is crying somewhere still about not only not taking Wallstedt at #6 but trading up and taking Cossa over him at #15...

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I am not really understanding this angle on him at all honestly. Edvinsson has a pretty secure floor in my opinion. Even if his offensive never quite clicks which is the worry you get the Bogosian or Stuart top 5 floor because he is a massive guy with plus skating that actually does play defense well. I mean I think the updated measurements are 6'5" 207 and he is probably a top 10 really probably top 5 skater in the entire draft. He is the kind of athlete that plays in the league a decent amount of time, even if the offense never quite pops. The other good thing here is between our 3 LD Swedes it seems likely one pops into a 1st pairing guy and that is ignoring the fact we might just get Werenski if the reports that he prefers to get back to Detroit as soon as possible are true. We have built a ton of defensive lottery tickets here, now look at the Flyers this week, we have seen that go bad before when the system still doesn't come together. But I at least see the build, it seems logical what Stevie is doing.

The gamble is do you believe he has more offense there. The tools suggest he should, I personally do, but I understand those that wonder. I think he has everything you could want, and I do hope we can pull all of that talent out of him. I think having a Mo Seider too, which some of the guys haven't for a bit is important here, I think he is going to help your Edvinsson, Wallinder, and Tuomisto types. I like what they are doing here, #3 in the Black Book and #3 in Bob's final rankings. I think this was an awesome pick, I understand the downside part, but I hope people also understand the upside.

I feel good about our back-end and goal after the last few days. We have a ways to go, but Yzerman is solving problems, filling the depth chart. Obviously we need more forward help, I suppose that will be an emphasis in 2022 and 2023, but I am starting to see the foundation and it looks sturdy and good. Hopefully get a couple of low round guys to click today.

I don't know anything about him, just from what people have said about him. I hope he is a great pick

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I don't know anything about him, just from what people have said about him. I hope he is a great pick

Go watch the videos of his skating, you will probably worry a little less about the bust issues. Now he could disappoint for draft slot, none of this is certain. But he seems like a decent bet to be a top 4 D-man regardless of offensive progression, he flashes enough defensively and athletically. Now his passing needs to come a long, he needs to simplify his game some, actually could shoot a little less though he gets those through. But he should be a transition powerhouse and he likes the physical stuff. Because of his skating ability he should also be a high minutes player, so theoretically the Wings could have a terrifying giant defense pairing in Seider and Edvinsson that moves incredibly well, likes the rough stuff and is constantly stressing the other team out in transition. It is super intriguing, I love the thought process and believe in that vision. You can also split them and anchor them in the more defensive roles with smaller d-man in Johansson and Hronek, though we could still see Hronek moved at some point in my opinion. At this point I think we have enough guys on D, that even when guys disappoint we should have a good group and a physical good skating group at that.

Reactions: HisNoodliness

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
but I hope people also understand the upside.

I think people are understanding of the upside, but the thing that everyone seems to have missed from the start about Edvinsson is he’s more Mo Seider than he is Dennis Cholowski. You covered this well, but the way he defends is likely going to always be the hallmark of his game and that actually takes some of the “boom/bust” out of the equation. People have covered him and discussed him like defense is a secondary consideration of his game and he’s actually supposed to be a high output offensive player with questionable decision making. If that were true, then yeah the boom bust talk makes sense, but that’s really just not who he is.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I think people are understanding of the upside, but the thing that everyone seems to have missed from the start about Edvinsson is he’s more Mo Seider than he is Dennis Cholowski. You covered this well, but the way he defends is likely going to always be the hallmark of his game and that actually takes some of the “boom/bust” out of the equation. People have covered him and discussed him like defense is a secondary consideration of his game and he’s actually supposed to be a high output offensive player with questionable decision making. If that were true, then yeah the boom bust talk makes sense, but that’s really just not who he is.
I've been pumping his tires for a while here. Ultimately he was number two on my board so I'm obviously thrilled with the pick. Offensively I think he's underrated. The guy has the puck a lot and rushes it a ton. He's great at keeping possession and skating it up ice. He goes for hard stretch passes and high skill plays. Sure some of them get picked off and his O-zone play is the area of his game that needs the most work, but everyone has a few warts to work on as a draft eligible.

This kid is great defensively. Trying to beat him in transition is really hard. He skates so we'll, maintains great gaps and just never lets his man by. I see a lot of McDonough in him defensively and the offensive potential is there. Whether he plays opposite Seider and they become an unstoppable shutdown pairing that has the puck in the O-zone for entire shifts at a time, or if Edvinsson becomes the anchor on the other pairing- presumably with Hronek- he's a huge building block for our team. I don't really see a scenario where he's not a defensively capable second pairing D... And the upside is there for him to be a franchise guy.

I love Eklund as much as the next guy, but I can't understand people being upset about taking Edvinsson. There's nothing not to love there. I'm willing to call our defense totally built. With Hronek- at the NHL level, Seider and Edvinsson as two true blue-chippers and great depth pieces many of which have high-end potential in Johansson, McIsaac, Tuomisto, Wallinder, Sebrango and Viro. We're going to be able to ice a crazy good defense someday and Edvinsson really was the perfect last piece to this puzzle. The only potential complaint I can see is the lack of a truly high end PP option but we have a lot of pieces that can PP so there's a good chance that one of them becomes that guy. If not, that's a much cheaper piece to acquire than your 6'4 two-way minute munchers like Seider and Edvinsson.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
I've been pumping his tires for a while here. Ultimately he was number two on my board so I'm obviously thrilled with the pick. Offensively I think he's underrated. The guy has the puck a lot and rushes it a ton. He's great at keeping possession and skating it up ice. He goes for hard stretch passes and high skill plays. Sure some of them get picked off and his O-zone play is the area of his game that needs the most work, but everyone has a few warts to work on as a draft eligible.

This kid is great defensively. Trying to beat him in transition is really hard. He skates so we'll, maintains great gaps and just never lets his man by. I see a lot of McDonough in him defensively and the offensive potential is there. Whether he plays opposite Seider and they become an unstoppable shutdown pairing that has the puck in the O-zone for entire shifts at a time, or if Edvinsson becomes the anchor on the other pairing- presumably with Hronek- he's a huge building block for our team. I don't really see a scenario where he's not a defensively capable second pairing D... And the upside is there for him to be a franchise guy.

I love Eklund as much as the next guy, but I can't understand people being upset about taking Edvinsson. There's nothing not to love there. I'm willing to call our defense totally built. With Hronek- at the NHL level, Seider and Edvinsson as two true blue-chippers and great depth pieces many of which have high-end potential in Johansson, McIsaac, Tuomisto, Wallinder, Sebrango and Viro. We're going to be able to ice a crazy good defense someday and Edvinsson really was the perfect last piece to this puzzle. The only potential complaint I can see is the lack of a truly high end PP option but we have a lot of pieces that can PP so there's a good chance that one of them becomes that guy. If not, that's a much cheaper piece to acquire than your 6'4 two-way minute munchers like Seider and Edvinsson.
THIS X 1,000,000 :
'' that's a much cheaper piece to acquire than your 6'4 two-way minute munchers like Seider and Edvinsson.''
the lost do not realize how important an edvinsson is , they only see eklund types points . they dont see the opponant points thee edvinssons prevent . and i dont care if its mcdavid he aint gettin around edvinsson and seider

Reactions: HisNoodliness

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad