GDT: The 2020 TDL Thread: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
That's actually not true.

There are plenty of people who understand what he brings, but are uncomfortable with the terms and the timeline.

We really need to stop this bullshit of trying to speak for the opposing side of an argument. Inevitably, whichever side we fall on, we spin it to fit "our narrative" and in the process completely f*cking butcher what the discussion was actually about.

It's like reading political candidates on these boards at times, we're going to need to start having fact checking around here.

Well, are you prepared to release your tax returns for every year you’ve been on HF?

Yuck

Sep 8, 2009
Blueshirts' Big Acquisition: Chris Kreider

by the way everyone should read this article.

Kreider adds just as much off the ice as he does on. For the kids he’s a huge role model on how to work. How to be a pro. Take care of yourself. The teams like Edmonton all those years or buffalo all those draft picks. They don’t have leaders to teach those kids how to be pros and winners. Toronto frankly.

guys like Kreider on a young team are so valuable. They’re the ones teaching these kids how to get to the next level. Not just the coaches. I read everyday how one of these kids is at kreiders house. Working out with Krieder he’s speaking multiple languages to make guys comfortable. There’s a ton of value in that regardless of on ice performance.

Regardless of where you stand on the Kreider deal, this gets often overlooked. Building a hardworking Team/culture is a lot more than raw talent. Look at Toronto. Talent wise we all envy them, but that's a team that is missing a heart. I'm not in the room so I can't tell for sure, but if JD/Gorts think CK is a big part of the soul of this team I trust their judgement on that.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
considering what they were asking in demands they were never all there serious about trading him unless blown away. I don’t consider that being all there serious about trading him knowing they weren’t going to get what they wanted.

agree maybe at one point they considered it earlier but that time came and went. He wasn’t getting moved yesterday If Shesterkin wasn’t in the car regardless

There is a decent difference between what they were asking, and what people ran with on here. It wasn't a matter of being blown away, so much as they just quite get it across the finish line. For example, Carolina and the Rangers were discussing a fairly significant deal on and off even within days of the deadline. Eventually it became two separate deals, but the willingness to trade Georgiev in the right deal was definitely there and actually fairly close a few times with a few teams.

In some cases, the Rangers also weren't eager to take back a salary until they know what they were going to need elsewhere. But I'll say this much, I wouldn't rule out teams circling back with the Rangers about Georgiev and the team giving it very serious consideration.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
I mean if you aren't going to buy and pay the price when you've got a chance to win, then when are you going to do it?

I think they (Tampa) understand the risks, but give me a legitimate run at the cup over a late 1st any day of the week.

I still think they're too soft. They've tried to rectify it a bit but its come via players who are on their last legs or just not good.
It’s wild that when all is said and done, Tampa may end up having no more tangible success than the early 2010’s Rangers.

Reactions: GoAwayStaal and jas

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
That's actually not true.

There are plenty of people who understand what he brings, but are uncomfortable with the terms and the timeline.

We really need to stop this bullshit of trying to speak for the opposing side of an argument. Inevitably, whichever side we fall on, we spin it to fit "our narrative" and in the process completely f*cking butcher what the discussion was actually about.

It's like reading political candidates on these boards at times, we're going to need to start having fact checking around here.

I was going to say "some" of the detractors, because they are out there. Fair enough.

Reactions: Edge

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Well, are you prepared to release your tax returns for every year you’ve been on HF?

Absolutely.

And in return I want the ability to ban a list of 5 IP addresses/users from this website forever. Hell, I'll even buy into the site as a partner if someone can give me the financials.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Where did you get this from???? JD and Gorton specifically stated that the accident had nothing to do with what transpired at TDL.
Who is backing up Hank the next 3 weeks? The team decided to self rent Fast. They want to push for the playoffs. Even if they are comfortable with Hank playing, I dont think they would have been happy having to play him every game for the next 3 weeks. They have been favoring Georgiev for a reason. I’m not the only one who thinks this. Gorton and JD are not going to come right out and show their hand either of what was going on behind the scenes.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Regardless of where you stand on the Kreider deal, this gets often overlooked. Building a hardworking Team/culture is a lot more than raw talent. Look at Toronto. Talent wise we all envy them, but that's a team that is missing a heart. I'm not in the room so I can't tell for sure, but if JD/Gorts think CK is a big part of the soul of this team I trust their judgement on that.

The Maple Leafs have $40.4M invested in 4 forwards. They are using long term IR this season to exceed the cap. Horton and Clarkson come off the cap after this season. The real problems begin next season. Nothing about lack of heart.

Reactions: DutchShamrock

Tossed Medal

Jan 23, 2020
Style of play nothing to do with age. He's more north south while Strome is more east west.
Chytil to me at this point reminds me a lot of how Jeff Carter played as a center . More a shoot first off the rush type of player . I’m not saying Fil will score as prolific as Carter did but just at this point in his career he does a lot on his own .

dshea19

Jun 9, 2015
Chytil to me at this point reminds me a lot of how Jeff Carter played as a center . More a shoot first off the rush type of player . I’m not saying Fil will score as prolific as Carter did but just at this point in his career he does a lot on his own .
Agreed. His primary assist move is the centering pass from behind the net. Otherwise, he seems to be working to set up a shot. Maybe the playmaking will develop more over time. I don't know. I really like the kid and hope he keeps blossoming.

GoAwayGiannone

Feb 2, 2012
Queens, New York

Not a good statistics guy, but I'm assuming the odds are so low of all three winning the lottery, like 0.00000065% for example, that there's probably some crazy tidbits you can compare it to. Like "You have a greater chance of walking outside and getting struck by lightning while falling down a newly opened sinkhole than TOR, CAR and NYR all winning the lottery."

Tossed Medal

Jan 23, 2020
Agreed. His primary assist move is the centering pass from behind the net. Otherwise, he seems to be working to set up a shot. Maybe the playmaking will develop more over time. I don't know. I really like the kid and hope he keeps blossoming.
Which at this point makes Strome despite his inflated numbers via Panarin a necessity . Strome , Pan and Ada all know how to find each other and the pass is always on the tape . Not that you can’t find a player that can do the same with Panarin but those two have good feel for how to play with each other . I also think Stromes lack of defense on here is a bit of a hot take . If he was that bad defensively I don’t think DQ would have him on the PK . If anything his skating style might make him look lazy and that one bad change that cost us the game against Columbus as bad as it was shouldn’t be representative of his entire defensive acumen

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016

Kind of agree here which is why I feel he would frustrate Panarin.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Not a good statistics guy, but I'm assuming the odds are so low of all three winning the lottery, like 0.00000065% for example, that there's probably some crazy tidbits you can compare it to. Like "You have a greater chance of walking outside and getting struck by lightning while falling down a newly opened sinkhole than TOR, CAR and NYR all winning the lottery."
I am still confused on the pick, for reasons I can't understand. It's just that the Leaf pick being lottery protected and the Canes having their own pick, and us getting the worse of the two, is confusing the heck outta me.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I am still confused on the pick, for reasons I can't understand. It's just that the Leaf pick being lottery protected and the Canes having their own pick, and us getting the worse of the two, is confusing the heck outta me.

As I understand it it’s pretty straightforward. The NYR get a 2020 first either way. If there are two picks the NYR get the worse of the two. If Toronto’s pick is protected and deferred to 2021 the NYR get Carolina’s pick regardless of where it is.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Who is backing up Hank the next 3 weeks? The team decided to self rent Fast. They want to push for the playoffs. Even if they are comfortable with Hank playing, I dont think they would have been happy having to play him every game for the next 3 weeks. They have been favoring Georgiev for a reason. I’m not the only one who thinks this. Gorton and JD are not going to come right out and show their hand either of what was going on behind the scenes.

What I don't understand is who said that their original plan was to move Georgiev this TDL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad