GDT: The 2020 TDL Thread: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
If we are shooting to make the playoffs next season, we should be retaining all our forwards, including Strome and Buchnevich.

If Hank retires, you have the cap space to sign ADA long term.

I don't see an immediate solution to LD. Just have to hope that one of the closer to NHL ready prospects at that position shows that they can stick with it in this league. Fox will have to take on more permanent PK responsibilities.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
The Coleman/Goodrow trades were made with their insane cap crunch in mind. Even with those cheap deals they have to shed a ton of salary in the summer via trades and/or buyouts.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Touche, let them wallow, lololol.

But I'm just thinking how a GM could diminish a future with moves like that. You and me are sitting here and could've come away better :laugh:
I think when you make moves like that as the GM, you are clearly not looking down the road past even 2 years. In 4-5 years the GM may be gone when the team is fading and players are retiring.

Reactions: Joey Bones

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
If we are shooting to make the playoffs next season, we should be retaining all our forwards, including Strome and Buchnevich.

If Hank retires, you have the cap space to sign ADA long term.

I don't see an immediate solution to LD. Just have to hope that one of the closer to NHL ready prospects at that position shows that they can stick with it in this league. Fox will have to take on more permanent PK responsibilities.

Maybe that solution doesn’t come until next year’s trade deadline. Bank enough cap space, and maybe the right player shakes loose.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
The Coleman/Goodrow trades were made with their insane cap crunch in mind. Even with those cheap deals they have to shed a ton of salary in the summer via trades and/or buyouts.
Tampa seems to always get some team to help them out in a cap crunch so I'm sure it'll happen again this year

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I think when you make moves like that as the GM, you are clearly not looking down the road past even 2 years. In 4-5 years the GM may be gone when the team is fading and players are retiring.

True, for the organization. I'm just saying if I'm the GM and I'm making those kind of moves for depth players, I'm sure I would be let go a lot sooner than 4-5 years.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Blueshirts' Big Acquisition: Chris Kreider

by the way everyone should read this article.

Kreider adds just as much off the ice as he does on. For the kids he’s a huge role model on how to work. How to be a pro. Take care of yourself. The teams like Edmonton all those years or buffalo all those draft picks. They don’t have leaders to teach those kids how to be pros and winners. Toronto frankly.

guys like Kreider on a young team are so valuable. They’re the ones teaching these kids how to get to the next level. Not just the coaches. I read everyday how one of these kids is at kreiders house. Working out with Krieder he’s speaking multiple languages to make guys comfortable. There’s a ton of value in that regardless of on ice performance.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Igor and Buch getting into the car accident is upsetting and frustrating. Glad they are ok and its nothing serious.

It forced the Rangers to hold onto Georgiev.

Now what this could be is somewhat of a blessing for the Rangers moving forward after the season. The Rangers are in a playoff push still. If Georgiev takes the majority of the workload and performs well over the next 2-3 weeks while Igor is out then it could increase his trade value. Keeping the Rangers in the race after losing Igor with how well he has played could speak volumes to interested teams.

Where did you get this from???? JD and Gorton specifically stated that the accident had nothing to do with what transpired at TDL.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
When did LHD become the unicorn in the NHL? I honestly can't think of any big time LHD that might, could or would be available that we'd look at and go "There's our number 1!" Seriously, who are some of these guys?

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Who cares if Toronto is top 3? We only need it to be top 10 and that's not crazy at all.
Well, with the lottery rules, if they finish 9th or especially 10th there's a decent shot they'll then drop out of the top 10. So, ideally, you'd want them to end the season at 7 or 8, which may be undoable given the teams behind them. Hence, hoping they then win a lottery slot.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Hanks definitely not going to be here. I don’t think he wants to retire though. Think he wants to try and prove he’s still the man.

I expect a buyout but I don’t think there will be bad blood there. He’s just not tradeable at this point.

this is less about cap and more about having the two Russians going forward. Georgiev will get a raise that will negate most of the savings.

Staal with this Skjei trade may finish out his deal.

Smith I’m certain will. He allows them to carry 22 instead of 23 if they want.

Fast is the guy it will make no sense to keep. You’re going to want to give mins to Kakko and Gauthier. Kravtsov can play either wing. Fast will get offered 3 mil per from someone. Won’t be us.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
When did LHD become the unicorn in the NHL? I honestly can't think of any big time LHD that might, could or would be available that we'd look at and go "There's our number 1!" Seriously, who are some of these guys?

I would argue that as currently constructed the NYR don’t need that.

They need a cheap, solid LH side to complement their full set of “unicorn” RHD. Lindgren looks like one. Maybe Hajek/Rykov can step up. Miller in 1-2 more years.

Reactions: Thirty One

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Blueshirts' Big Acquisition: Chris Kreider

by the way everyone should read this article.

Kreider adds just as much off the ice as he does on. For the kids he’s a huge role model on how to work. How to be a pro. Take care of yourself. The teams like Edmonton all those years or buffalo all those draft picks. They don’t have leaders to teach those kids how to be pros and winners. Toronto frankly.

guys like Kreider on a young team are so valuable. They’re the ones teaching these kids how to get to the next level. Not just the coaches. I read everyday how one of these kids is at kreiders house. Working out with Krieder he’s speaking multiple languages to make guys comfortable. There’s a ton of value in that regardless of on ice performance.

The detractors who don't like the deal will dismiss any intangibles he or anyone else signed to a long term deal will offer, but it actually means a shit ton for a hockey team. Especially one that is very young. They need to see a pro at work and CK is one of the best at it.

When the Rangers make larger signings or extensions and/or bring in players through trades I always ask myself: "What impact will he have on the team's chances of winning a Cup?" Aside from the contractural terms, what affect will they have on a team trying to reach the playoffs and through the journey to raise the most difficult trophy in all of sports?

When I look at Kreider he checks off a ton of boxes and that isn't something you can easily find in potential and potential alone through high draft picks and prospects that have no guarantees attached to them.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I would argue that as currently constructed the NYR don’t need that.

They need a cheap, solid LH side to complement their full set of “unicorn” RHD. Lindgren looks like one. Maybe Hajek/Rykov can step up. Miller in 1-2 more years.

exactly plenty of depth in the system for the left side and if you’re going to have a stacked right D you obviously have to balance that with a cheap young left side. I’m fine with that. Least of my worries is left d.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island

contract details

the NMC disappears the last two seasons which is helpful.

it’s front loaded so that gives buyout flexibility if need be

This is all good stuff. Low cap hit is key. And it’s friggen low.

Also worth noting the signing bonus in the last season is $1 mill, which is a very slight obstacle to a buyout. But theres no SB for seasons 5 and 6 of the contract

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
The detractors who don't like the deal will dismiss any intangibles he or anyone else signed to a long term deal will offer, but it actually means a lot for a hockey team.

When you make larger signings or extensions and/or bring in players through trades I always ask myself: "What impact will he have on the team's chances of winning a Cup?" Aside from the contractural terms, what affect will they have on a team trying to reach the playoffs and through the journey to raise the most difficult trophy in all of sports?

When I look at Kreider he checks off a ton of boxes and that isn't something you can easily find in potential and potential alone through high draft picks and prospects that have no guarantees attached to them.

That's actually not true.

There are plenty of people who understand what he brings, but are uncomfortable with the terms and the timeline.

We really need to stop this bullshit of trying to speak for the opposing side of an argument. Inevitably, whichever side we fall on, we spin it to fit "our narrative" and in the process completely f***ing butcher what the discussion was actually about.

It's like reading political candidates on these boards at times, we're going to need to start having fact checking around here.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Rangers came very close a few times, but didn't quite finish the deal.

I'd say it was 50/50 on Georgiev at one point.

considering what they were asking in demands they were never all that serious about trading him unless blown away. I don’t consider that being all there serious about trading him knowing they weren’t going to get what they wanted.

agree maybe at one point they considered it earlier but that time came and went. He wasn’t getting moved yesterday If Shesterkin wasn’t in the car regardless

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
The detractors who don't like the deal will dismiss any intangibles he or anyone else signed to a long term deal will offer, but it actually means a shit ton for a hockey team. Especially one that is very young. They need to see a pro at work and CK is one of the best at it.

When the Rangers make larger signings or extensions and/or bring in players through trades I always ask myself: "What impact will he have on the team's chances of winning a Cup?" Aside from the contractural terms, what affect will they have on a team trying to reach the playoffs and through the journey to raise the most difficult trophy in all of sports?

The comments from Lundqvist, Lindgren and Georgiev are also telling.

Reactions: Leetch3
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->