Prospect Info: The 2020 Entry NHL Draft Thread: Part III

Alright, who's your final choice for the Avs to draft at 25th Overall?

• Total voters

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
pjimage-14.jpg

2020 NHL Draft will take place online at Centre Bell in Montreal, Quebec
October 6th and 7th, 2020

NHL Draft Lottery
Tankathon | 2020 NHL Draft Order & Lottery Simulator

Mock Drafts
2020 NHL Mock Draft | 2020 NHL Draft | NHL Draft
2020 NHL Mock Draft - NHL - DraftSite.com

Bob McKenzie's Rankings
Preliminary: Lafreniere leads loaded class in TSN Hockey's pre-season draft ranking
Mid-Season: Alexis Lafreniere enhances No. 1 status in TSN's mid-season NHL draft ranking - TSN.ca
Final: Bob McKenzie's Final Ranking: Lafreniere the surest thing in most uncertain draft year - TSN.ca

Craig Button's Rankings
September: Craig Button’s List: Canadian forwards dominate top of first NHL draft rankings - TSN.ca
November: Craig's List: Alexis Lafreniere is No. 1, but watch for Quinton Byfield and Yaroslav Askarov - TSN.ca
January: Craig’s List: Tim Stutzle, Marco Rossi climb NHL draft rankings - TSN.ca
March: Craig's List: Alexis Lafreniere solidifies status as hockey's top prospect - TSN.ca
October: Plenty of skill and depth in full 2020 NHL Mock Draft - TSN.ca

Players

Database: Elite Prospects - NHL Draft Center
CSS - Preliminary: https://nhl.bamcontent.com/images/assets/binary/309837384/binary-file/file.pdf
CSS - Midterm: 2020 Draft Prospect Rankings | NHL Draft Prospect Rankings
CSS - Final: 2020 Draft Prospect Rankings | NHL Draft Prospect Rankings

Colorado Avalanche Draft Picks
2020 NHL Entry Draft - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
1st Round: Kept
2nd Round: Gone [to WSH]
3rd Round: Acquired [from TOR]
3rd Round: Gone [to FLA]
4th Round: Kept
5th Round: Kept
6th Round: Acquired [From FLA]
6th Round: Gone [to TOR]
7th Round: Kept

Part I: Prospect Info: - The 2020 Entry NHL Draft Thread
Part II: Prospect Info: - The 2020 Entry NHL Draft Thread: Part II

Last edited:
Reactions: arun

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
There is no PBA at #25 and you are foolish not to take team needs into account at the draft.

Only draft forwards with high picks and the defense will be a mess, Avs fans should know this. Don't draft high potential goaltenders and you most likely won't get a starter from the draft etc.

I don't trust that the Avs will get an impact player with their picks and would trade the 1st + Z/Jost/JTC/Graves for a top 4D or top 6 forward.

Last edited:

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
@Balthazar In response to your last post in the previous draft thread...

Hendrix Lapierre 2G 2A in first game to start the Q season tonight.

Not good (for us, in case we wanted him).

Personally I don't mind him doing well. He's a very good prospect, but I don't think a small pass-first C with concussion history is what we need to swing on, so if someone wants to take him ahead of 25 that means that another good forward or Dman is available at our pick.

Reactions: Gabe MacAntanen

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I linked the Puljujärvi goal in the opener in the other thread, but also of note that Joel Blomqvist started that game and is slated to start again tonight. Annunen and Rybar are both out of the lineup.

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
Greig is very interesting. Newhook-Greig will be the next Bergeron-Marchand duo.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Blomqvist with another easy win today for Kärpät.

Roby Järventie scored a goal last game and added an assist today for 1+1 in 2 games to start.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Did you guys know that Alan Hepple is from the UK? I didn't until 2 mins ago.

Oh, and take the player with the biggest potential upside who also has a good character... whoever that is.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
There is no PBA at #25 and you are foolish not to take team needs into account at the draft.

Only draft forwards with high picks and the defense will be a mess, Avs fans should know this. Don't draft high potential goaltenders and you most likely won't get a starter from the draft etc.

I don't trust that the Avs will get an impact player with their picks and would trade the 1st + Z/Jost/JTC/Graves for a top 4D or top 6 forward.

Both statements are just incredibly false to the point where I think you're trolling or being sarcastic.

Reactions: LTC Pain and MarkT

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Did you guys know that Alan Hepple is from the UK? I didn't until 2 mins ago.

Oh, and take the player with the biggest potential upside who also has a good character... whoever that is.
Bryson Yost, 6 ft center out of the BCHL.

Reactions: MarkT

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I think it’s good to mix it up. If you only swing for the fences, you’re going to miss a lot and stand to end up with a lot of nothing. So it’s important to also add high floor guys and guys that fill specific needs.

But I also think there are red flags that should be avoided earlier: Low IQ/poor judgment, poor skating, and concussion problems.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I think it’s good to mix it up. If you only swing for the fences, you’re going to miss a lot and stand to end up with a lot of nothing. So it’s important to also add high floor guys and guys that fill specific needs.

But I also think there are red flags that should be avoided earlier: Low IQ/poor judgment, poor skating, and concussion problems.

You end up with a lot of nothing regardless.

If you swing for the fences on every single pick for high end upside... Even if you only hit 1/10 picks, you're getting an impact Top 6F/Top4 D every 1.5 drafts basically.

That would be a recipe for success even at just a 10% hit rate. If you're a good scouting team you should be able to hit higher than that as well.

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
You end up with a lot of nothing regardless.

If you swing for the fences on every single pick for high end upside... Even if you only hit 1/10 picks, you're getting an impact Top 6F/Top4 D every 1.5 drafts basically.

That would be a recipe for success even at just a 10% hit rate. If you're a good scouting team you should be able to hit higher than that as well.

The high end guys usually are aligned with a specific skill or range of skills. But there are other roles that need to be filled.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Both statements are just incredibly false to the point where I think you're trolling or being sarcastic.
So you would think drafting a goaltender 6 years in a row in the 1st round would be the right thing to do? Assuming that would be the supposed BPA, eventough most of the time there is no way to know who that really is.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
So you would think drafting a goaltender 6 years in a row in the 1st round would be the right thing to do? Assuming that would be the supposed BPA, eventough most of the time there is no way to know who that really is.

Dude don't waste your time. It's well known that outside of the first few picks BPA doesn't exist for GM's...even coming straight from a former GM's mouth.

Of course when talking to the media guys like Hepple will use "BPA" because no one is gonna say "well we had this winger a bit higher but we picked this defenseman anyway".

Reactions: Gabe MacAntanen

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

If a goalie is the top ranked player on a teams list for 6 years in a row in the first round... Yes.

You take whatever player your scouting staff believes to be the best player available at your selection every time. Worry about team needs and fit later on when the player has hopefully actually developed into the talented player you expected him to.

Worrying about needs is exactly how you find yourself in a situation where a guy like Connor Bleackley gets selected while a David Pastrnak is still on the board.

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
If a goalie is the top ranked player on a teams list for 6 years in a row in the first round... Yes.

You take whatever player your scouting staff believes to be the best player available at your selection every time. Worry about team needs and fit later on when the player has hopefully actually developed into the talented player you expected him to.

Worrying about needs is exactly how you find yourself in a situation where a guy like Connor Bleackley gets selected while a David Pastrnak is still on the board.

Not necessarily. This could have happened because they didn’t correctly evaluate Pastrnak. It’s not likely they said, “Pastrnak is going to be great but we really need a center.” If they knew what both players would become, do you honestly think they’d still choose Bleackley over Pastrnak? You’re acting like they knew Pastrnak would likely be great but chose Bleackley anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: Balthazar

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
A high floor role player would be of greater consideration if the Avs knew how to get those guys into the NHL. A big factor in Pastrnak working out is he played immediately in the NHL.

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
High-end guys can learn to be role players though...

Possibly. But do you think the Blackhawks drafted Andrew Shaw expecting him to be Kane or Toews? You also had guys like Brian Bickell who was drafted to be a physical net presence, if nothing else. Same thing.

I also think you can draft guys in the mid to late rounds for upside. My rule of thumb would be a guy whose decent now but someone who is likely still going to put on 20 lbs of muscle. In the later rounds, I’ve learned a lot of the guys who are 6’0 and 160 to 6’4” and 180 are from either Sweden or Russia.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Got done listening to the TOOA mock draft while mowing the lawn and am making my way through the DNVR one. And it's interesting to see how very different these two have gone. The one common factor between the two? Rudo.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
If you're looking for just a bit more draft content and feel like reading about goalies (I don't why you would but hey we all make bad decisions!) here's what I've seen regarding the top 15 goalie prospects available at the draft:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad