GDT: The 2019 NHL Entry Draft | Day 2 starts at 1pm EST | TOR holds 53, 84, 115, 124, 146, 204 & 208

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
And for all the people who don't think Dubas would have interest in Kaliyev, I'm not so sure that's true.

Analytic models are almost all exclusively very high on him. Lead the entire draft in NHLe.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Just curious, would you guys move Brown + 53 for Poolparty?

I'd move Brown for Poolie, or a 2nd. While Holland is an experienced GM, I can imagine that if McDavid says he wants Brown on the team it would be hard for Holland to say no. Edmonton doesn't want a repeat of McDavid's dissatisfaction as seen this past spring and if the acquisition of Brown placates McDavid...well. That said, I have no idea if the two were close when playing together in their junior days or if they've remained so since they were drafted.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I'll just leave this here. Totally forgot about this guy, even though I was high on him last fall. lol
Korczak projects as a top-four defender who will play against the other team’s best players and kill penalties. He would be a great partner for an offensive-minded number one defenceman on a team’s top pair. A couple of more years in junior adding muscle to his frame and continuing to develop his offensive game would be very good for his development. If he can continue to grow that offensive game, to the point where he can bring some offence at the NHL level, he could be a huge steal for the team that drafts him. Korczak’s game is reminiscent of Josh Manson. This is a stylistic comparison only though and not one based on skill and ability.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Probably because of the price for D these days everyone’s wanting to draft their own now
I have a feeling Dubas is trading up for a dman he likes who might not make it to pick 53, whether that's Helleson, Korczak, Robertson, LaCombe, Tuomisto, etc. Korczak in particular has been compared to Josh Manson, who would be a perfect fit on our team.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
I wouldn't even do Brown for Puljujarvi probably. Definitely not 53.

I've never been a big fan of Puljujarvi, had a solid start in the AHL but he never dominated that league before Edmonton just said f*** it and threw him into the show, made him play through bilateral hip injuries, and then they act shocked when he didn't develop. One summer with our medical staff and a fresh slate gave Tyler Ennis his career back. I'd roll those die on Puljujarvi. Rehab him hard this summer, have him focus on working out and practicing with the team while playing only like 30% of the games until January.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
If all Dubas does tomorrow is make picks he's failed at this draft

Said it before I see this team as 1, MAYBE 2 pieces away if you include a backup goalie, from being a champion, not a contender, because they are contrnders now, but a champion.

So if that means you have to make a bold move, do it.

Take the PK for Nylander rumours for example, look I don't like the idea of giving up a 23 year old top 6 forward, in fact I'd HATE that.

BUT there are reports that Nashville would retain upwards of 3 million so, if that's true that trade saves cap space and they did prove they could win without Nylander last year if making that move helps you keep your top 6 from last season together , and gives you a D core that features, Reilly, Subban, and Muzzin

With Andersen in net.

That's tough but I think you have to do it.

Kapanen Matthews Johnsson

Hyman Tavares Marner

Reilly Subban Muzzin

Andersen

that is a championship core

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I have a feeling Dubas is trading up for a dman he likes who might not make it to pick 53, whether that's Helleson, Korczak, Robertson, LaCombe, Tuomisto, etc. Korczak in particular has been compared to Josh Manson, who would be a perfect fit on our team.

I'm a fan of Lacombe but the guy people haven't really been talking about but probably should is Helleson

His numbers don't jump off the page but his 5v5 scoring is strong (he's getting no PP opportunities) he's a big kid with good skating, a decent set of hands and he's supposed to be a high IQ player that's willing to engage which helps him defend the other teams best players well

It's not a bad set of attributes

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I'm a fan of Lacombe but the guy people haven't really been talking about but probably should is Helleson

His numbers don't jump off the page but his 5v5 scoring is strong (he's getting no PP opportunities) he's a big kid with good skating, a decent set of hands and he's supposed to be a high IQ player that's willing to engage which helps him defend the other teams best players well

It's not a bad set of attributes
I'm fine with trading up for either of those guys, but I favor Helleson and Korczak cause I think they're more stout defensively and offer different elements than what we already have in the system. I'd be happy with either guy, and might only slightly lean Korczak (even though he has less offensive upside) because Kelowna is such a defense factory and has a great track record of producing d-men.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I'm fine with trading up for either of those guys, but I favor Helleson and Korczak cause I think they're more stout defensively and offer different elements than what we already have in the system. I'd be happy with either guy, and might only slightly lean Korczak (even though he has less offensive upside) because Kelowna is such a defense factory and has a great track record of producing d-men.

I took a pretty in depth looking at Lacombe, there's not a ton of tape on him but his tools are high end, the kid can skate and move the puck
He defends well but his QOC is poor, it's hard to get a solid read on his defensive game translating to higher levels when the guys he's up against aren't very good

I wouldn't mind Helleson or Korczak though, they both sound like they have translatable skill sets and they don't have any glaring unfixable flaws, I'd probably favor Helleson because of his 5v5 production and transition ability though

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad