GDT: The 2018 IIHF World Men Championships

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I have a feeling Z had a bad shoulder injury. He went to the locker room during play multiple times, and was slumped over each time like his shoulder popped out.

You can have an MCL tear like Courturier that doesn't require surgery, and doesn't hurt too bad, but won't heal until you rest it.

Who knows what Mikko might or might not have had, but there's plenty of things that can affect your play, but aren't as bad as what Zadorov might have had.

It's silly to act as if all injuries are the same, and that just because a 25 year old like Couturier in his 4th playoff series, on a different team, can play well with one injury, that a 21 year old like Mikko in his first playoffs, on a different team, with a completely different injury should be able to play the same way.

Reactions: McMetal and cgf

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
It's silly to act as if all injuries are the same, and that just because a 25 year old like Couturier in his 4th playoff series, on a different team, can play well with one injury, that a 21 year old like Mikko in his first playoffs, on a different team, with a completely different injury should be able to play the same way.

I haven’t played hockey since I was in like 4th grade, but if Mikko was playing with a wrist injury that has to throw everything off. The wrist controls almost everything for a hockey player so I can see why controlling the puck and shooting would be so much harder to do.

BleedWell

Jan 6, 2018
I haven’t played hockey since I was in like 4th grade, but if Mikko was playing with a wrist injury that has to throw everything off. The wrist controls almost everything for a hockey player so I can see why controlling the puck and shooting would be so much harder to do.
Avs held a ice practice before the crucial St louis game and Rantanen was the only one who wasn't there. And day after that the finnish news paper wrote that he had some kind of hand injury which was taped or something. So I don't know how anyone can say that he wasn't injured,

Reactions: cgf

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
Avs held a ice practice before the crucial St louis game and Rantanen was the only one who wasn't there. And day after that the finnish news paper wrote that he had some kind of hand injury which was taped or something. So I don't know how anyone can say that he wasn't injured,

Just to fit their narrative that he’s not worth a big contract...

Reactions: Pokecheque

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Sure but if one of his stars insisted on going even if a little banged up, do you really think Joe would've stopped him if he couldn't talk him out of it?

I can't help but wonder if he wouldn't feel as much pressure to play for Finland even if he is a little banged up, if he had been in Pulju's spot on that goldenboy WJC line. Mikko's never seemed to get the love from Finns that Laine, Aho & Pulju did/do; and I can't help but wonder if that wouldn't push him to play for them even if he is injured as long as it won't get worse by playing through it.

Either way, he needs to be better the next time he's in the playoffs, and I'm sure he will be. This kid is a big moment player who burst onto the season playing for an outgunned team at a tourney, came through in the clutch rounds to carry those more hyped kids to WJC glory, and has plenty of big goals/dishes on his resume. It's just a matter of time until he starts adding big NHL playoff goals/assists to his highlight reel :yo:
I think his recognition by the Finnish media is getting there (which is great for us, 'cause it means he's doing well individually). I don't think it's about WJC hype. I think it's about the fact that Rantanen wore the "C" at the WJC, believe it or not. To me, that's a sign that he has that mutual respect with the federation, you know?

Reactions: McMetal

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
I am still wondering if that hit in the 1st period against Nashville in game 1 after Bourque scored caused/worsened some injury.
He dropped his stick immediately after the hit and went straight down the tunnel.
Came back though 5 mins later, but I wonder if that aggravated any injury slightly.
Anyway, good to see him there.
Just hope he will not get hurt (more).

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I guess Rantanen hasn't been hurt for over a month, like some people repeatedly claimed. Hopefully he can be better in important games next year.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I guess Rantanen hasn't been hurt for over a month, like some people repeatedly claimed. Hopefully he can be better in important games next year.

Right. He's perfectly healthy even though we've all been talking about how he's been hurt and the player himself acknowledged he's not 100%, but sure, go with whatever you think :laugh:

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Mikko seems like a guy who really takes pride playing for Finland, I think it would not be a surprise even if he has some small injury but insists it's not enough to stop him playing.

Reactions: BleedWell

Hesher

Sagan for President
Jan 22, 2013
Slovakia
Division 1A is insane, Great Britain is at the top of the table with one game remaining.

1. GB 9 pts
2. Kazakhstan 6
3. Italy 6
4. Slovenia 6
5. Hungary 6
6. Poland 3

The final round is tomorrow:

Kazakhstan-Poland
Slovenia-Italy
Hungary-GB

Hesher

Sagan for President
Jan 22, 2013
Slovakia
Hungary was 15 seconds from promotion but then their goalie (a Wild prospect :naughty:) let in a brutal softie so it's Italy and Great Britain that advance.

Selzoons

Mar 3, 2018
MacKinnon definitely got an invite, and if accepted or declined an invite we would probably know by now.

There should be something preventing him from giving a firm answer. Maybe it's an injury that may not heal in time or maybe some other circumstance.

If I had to guess, he's not going. The tournament is starting soon, right? If he doesn't know by now, it seems doubtful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad