The 2018 draft turning out well for the Metro...

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Carolina - Svechnikov 2nd
Philly - Farabee 14th
Rangers - K'Andre Miller 22nd
Devils - Ty Smith 17th
Islanders - Wahlstrom 11th
Islanders - Dobson 12th
Columbus - Foudy 18th

Not yet there

Rangers - Kravtsov 9th
Rangers - Lundkvist 28th
Washington - Alexeyev 31st
Philadelphia - O'Brien 19th

Many of the players that are making a impact at the moment are outside the top 10.

Last edited:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Those Miller and Lundkvist picks were really dope.

Me and my friend left the official draft party early because we were mad. Not because they picked Kravtsov but because they wouldn't let us meet Filip Chytil. It's a long story.

We were in a Wendy's when they made those picks. It was a good time.

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016

Me and my friend left the official draft party early because we were mad. Not because they picked Kravtsov but because they wouldn't let us meet Filip Chytil. It's a long story.

Was it because you brought spreadsheets to the party?

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island

As a Islander fan, it was a small silver lining after the JT fiasco. I can't believe we actually got Wahlstrom and Dobson. I was hoping just to get one of them. I did about 1,000 mock drafts, like 5xs that happened.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

My mom (whose family has ties to the Philippines) got so excited when she'd watch a Rangers game and hear the announcers talking about Chytil.

Then again, that's because she thought they were saying 'Filipino" instead of Filip Chytil and thought that's where he was from.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
My mom (whose family has ties to the Philippines) got so excited when she'd watch a Rangers game and hear the announcers talking about Chytil.

Then again, that's because she thought they were saying 'Filipino" instead of Filip Chytil and thought that's where he was from.
He was playing on a line with Italian National Team legend Tay Mussolani.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
He was playing on a line with Italian National Team legend Tay Mussolani.

It's a pain in the ass for me to explain things to her when the Rangers are playing the Wild and Matt Dumba is on the ice versus Chytil.

"There's the Filipino player"

"You mean for the Rangers?"

"No, no, the guy on the Wild"

"Named Filip Chytil?"

"No, Dumba."

"Okay, don't be disrespectful to your mother!"

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
I often forget Dobson is basically a rookie. Watching him play he isn't necessary spectacular or eyecatching, but he is a steady eddy who generally makes the right play. He is going to be a minute eater for the isles for a long time...

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

I wouldn’t let you meet Filip Chytil either. :laugh:

Reactions: VoluntaryDom

FractionTwo

Mar 3, 2021
As a Islander fan, it was a small silver lining after the JT fiasco. I can't believe we actually got Wahlstrom and Dobson. I was hoping just to get one of them. I did about 1,000 mock drafts, like 5xs that happened.
that, and also getting wilde and ishakov the next round also felt massive. Im keeping my stocks high on ishakov since he's been having a blast with TPS over in finland, and wilde is maturing as a young player out in a garbage bridgeport team

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
The Rangers really hit a home run in that 1st round...

...and then proceeded to draft a goalie with their only 2nd round pick.

Man, feels like it was just yesterday I wouldn’t even have to watch the NHL Draft because the Rangers didn’t pick until the f***ing 3rd round. :laugh:

Then all the sudden 3x 1st round picks.

Reactions: UnSandvich

FractionTwo

Mar 3, 2021
i
The Rangers really hit a home run in that 1st round...

...and then proceeded to draft a goalie with their only 2nd round pick.

Man, feels like it was just yesterday I wouldn’t even have to watch the NHL Draft because the Rangers didn’t pick until the f***ing 3rd round. :laugh:

Then all the sudden 3x 1st round picks.
its only a home run if they all produce at the NHL level

FractionTwo

Mar 3, 2021
Not for me, I think they did great. Traded up for Miller too.
i think the idea of them doing that was smart, but they better hope they can keep growing those players. Miller could become cooked if he keeps logging 20+ minutes a night, and the rangers D-core is not as stable with veterans like the other metro teams

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
that, and also getting wilde and ishakov the next round also felt massive. Im keeping my stocks high on ishakov since he's been having a blast with TPS over in finland, and wilde is maturing as a young player out in a garbage bridgeport team
Oh wow, I just checked his numbers. It does seem like he is doing well.. granted I don't know much about Liiga

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Still blows my mind that Dallas picked Dellandrea over Farabee. Thank you Dallas. Guess you owed us one for leaving Heiskanen on the board the year before lol

Reactions: Devonator

FractionTwo

Mar 3, 2021
Oh wow, I just checked his numbers. It does seem like he is doing well.. granted I don't know much about Liiga
I started to keep an eye on him thanks to Mitch Anderson, who keeps an eye on islanders prospects. He's been growing as a player over there, and some of his plays have showcased maturity in his game as well. He also was part of Romanovs MHL team, so I wonder if those two have a connection

Reactions: Thrasymachus

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
For the Flyers...3 possible gems

Farabee...obvious a great pick right now

Ersson...won Allsvenskan Rookie Of the Year, Top Goalie and MVP at age 19. Now in SHL and will get MVP votes this year.

And lastly...undrafted Zamula!

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Ty Smith is going to be terrific. Really impressed when they played the Caps.

As for the draft itself, Washington also drafted Martin Fehervary in the 2nd round in 2018 and he’s looking very much like he’ll be a top 4 defenseman. Really solid pick.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
I was not overly pleased with the Kravtsov pick, but he's progressed well to date. T-1st on Traktor in goals despite missing 10 games & then needing to get back up to speed after returning. Another goal today in Traktor's 1st playoff game.

On the other hand, I *loved* both the Lundkvist and Miller picks. I wanted another Lundq(k)vist in the org, and Lundkvist filled the organizational need for RD prospects very nicely. Miller I had seen one of Corey Sznajder's prospect tracking things, and he was basically 95th or higher percentile in every single category. Looking at them now, Lundkvist is one of the best young Dmen in the SHL, and Miller's already a Top 4 Dman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad