The 2017 positive we-will-make-it thread

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
So I got struck by a sudden surge of optimism and realized it could be way worse than it is..negativity is to be kept in the other threads (including all GDTs :laugh:)

Why we will make the playoffs and do well there:

- Getting players healthy
While it's not the sole reason for the struggles it certainly played a big role, we are now getting players back which will help the team.

- Schedule
While we have a tough western trip coming soon after that the schedule is looking good, February could be a month where we can gain lot of ground and only one back to back game and 6 out of 10 games are at home.

- Hedman
One of the best in the league in his position, much improved on the pp this season as well, providing scoring on top of that.

- Triplets
Kucherov is having a great season, TyJo I think has been our best forward recently and has found both his scoring and speed, there is also more to get from Palat.

- AHL call-ups
I think many of them have providing some good energy and it's good to know you have players who can jump in when needed. Guys like Peca, Erne and Point may well be regulars next season.

- Powerplay
Despite all injuries we keep scoring goals and the PP is much improved, having the second best pp in the league is a great weapon down the stretch.

- History
That the team was in the same position last year might be a concern but it can also be an advantage, they know what it takes to get there and we have players that have proven that they can step up when we need them most.

- "Rested" players
If we reach the playoffs Bishop and Stamkos will not have as many games, especially for Bishop that can make a huge difference.

- Playoff experience
Despite the quite young core these guys know what is required in the playoffs, we all saw what happened with a team that lacked the experience(0-4 against Montreal).

What can be improved:

Besides getting players back and keeping the rest healthy I think with improved goaltending and keep up the better PK as of late we are a playoff team.

Go Bolts! :yo:

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
What can be improved:

football-fanatic-d-fence-custom-laser-die-cut-91.jpg

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I was staying positive until the homestand. Seeing us basically throw in the towel vs. Winnipeg was disturbing. It only got worse vs. Nashville. But, staying positive, our long-term future is still bright, although, how we deal with our short-term problems might have a huge impact on the organization we become

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I think our long term future is very bright vasy will come around like Carey price did there fans thought halak was better and last week halak was waived by the islanders. Yzerman has lots of forwards stacked in our system but he is going to need to make some trades to address our defense! I don't think koekoekk is going to become a top 4 maybe masin could but I don't see it yet.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
I think our long term future is very bright vasy will come around like Carey price did there fans thought halak was better and last week halak was waived by the islanders. Yzerman has lots of forwards stacked in our system but he is going to need to make some trades to address our defense! I don't think koekoekk is going to become a top 4 maybe masin could but I don't see it yet.

It just sucks and its frustrating we basically have to wait a whole year to start over and try again, hopefully without this many injuries and just all around bad luck and sloppy play by the team. Their lacking confidence right now and that sucks. Need a big turn around and hopefully either at TDL or the off season Yzerman can improve the team. Defence is an absolute must and I'm fine with him trading some of our big players for some actual solid defence.

Johnson, Palat, Killorn, Names. I feel like there 4 players that could be worked in a deal that teams would want, I do think one of Killer or Names will be gone to Vegas)

I just don't see it happening this year, even if they do make playoffs I can't see them getting far. Hoping, praying that Bishop comes back from injury full god mode and brings us to the promise land.

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
Well you have to find the bright spots and I think Drouin is one, his creativity and puck handling will be of much joy for years to come :handclap:

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
As bad as we've played lately we're still 4 points removed from a playoff spot, I wouldn't be hitting the panic button just yet

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
As bad as we've played lately we're still 4 points removed from a playoff spot, I wouldn't be hitting the panic button just yet

Ottawa has 3 games in hand. So using that as a metric is disingenuous as ****. We have the exact same points percentage as the last place in the conference. It's more likely we pick #1 than we make the playoffs at this point.

I think we should be sellers, but we don't have many expiring contracts and no one wants to give up a protection spot right now. But we are not making the playoffs this season. We would need to bank 16 more points than games to have a realistic shot (40 games left, we would need 54-56 points in those games). That's not happening.

Supporting documentation:

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL.html

At the moment we are given a 15.2% chance of making the playoffs.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
To be guaranteed a playoff spot, we need to go 28-7-5 the rest of the way. That brings us to 103 points and would require playing .763 hockey the rest of the way.

To have at least a 90% chance of making it, we need to go 24-11-5 the rest of the way. That brings us to only 95 points and would require .663 hockey the rest of the way.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
To be guaranteed a playoff spot, we need to go 28-7-5 the rest of the way. That brings us to 103 points and would require playing .763 hockey the rest of the way.

To have at least a 90% chance of making it, we need to go 24-11-5 the rest of the way. That brings us to only 95 points and would require .663 hockey the rest of the way.

Lol lol we're done then

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
Ottawa has 3 games in hand. So using that as a metric is disingenuous as ****. We have the exact same points percentage as the last place in the conference. It's more likely we pick #1 than we make the playoffs at this point.

I think we should be sellers, but we don't have many expiring contracts and no one wants to give up a protection spot right now. But we are not making the playoffs this season. We would need to bank 16 more points than games to have a realistic shot (40 games left, we would need 54-56 points in those games). That's not happening.

Supporting documentation:

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL.html

At the moment we are given a 15.2% chance of making the playoffs.

I thought we were supposed to be positive :cry:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad