GDT: The 2017 NHL Entry Draft | June 23-24 | 7 p.m. ET (NBCSN, Sportsnet, NHLNetwork)

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
if nothing else changes, here's our draft picks

Round | Overall | Player | Pos | Country | Ht | Wt | Amateur League | Amateur Team

1 | 14| CAL FOOTE |D |CAN |6' 4"|215|WHL|KELOWNA
2 | 48| ALEXANDER VOLKOV |RW |RUS |6' 1"|191|RUSSIA-JR.|SKA ST. PETERSBURG 2
3 | 76| ALEXEI LIPANOV |C |RUS | 6' 0"|169|RUSSIA-2|BALASHIKHA
6 | 169| NICKLAUS PERBIX |D |USA |6' 2"|191|HIGH-MN|ELK RIVER
6 | 180| COLE GUTTMAN |C |USA| 5' 9"|167|USHL|DUBUQUE
7 | 200| SAMUEL WALKER |C |USA |5' 10"|142|HIGH-MN|EDINA

Like I was saying in another site

A player possibly for Syracuse this upcoming season
A player possibly for Syracuse for the 2018 season
A 4-6 Dman
And three see ya in 3-4 years prospects

All of which will have the best opportunities to hopefully develop in to contributors on down the road. Especially the SCSU commits

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
Hradek said during the show that when he asked scouts who could be the best late round wild card many of them said Walker so that’s good, still has a few years to go and need to add some size but he has a lot of talent and if done right can go a long way.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
A ton of picks from us to players that play college hockey and other US programs. Aren't these the guys that usually don't wanna come to the NHL because they wanna study and then decide to show up at age 23-25 and be very underwhelming?

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
A ton of picks from us to players that play college hockey and other US programs. Aren't these the guys that usually don't wanna come to the NHL because they wanna study and then decide to show up at age 23-25 and be very underwhelming?

if TB really has something, they'll probably leave school early to play in the AHL. Starting your pro career at 25 is a very ECHL thing to do.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven

Where do you get that notion? Many kids feel their best path to the NHL is the Collegiate route and get a degree to fall back on. Other kids go the Canadian Jr route. And European prospects that have aspirations of playing in the NHL develop overseas and some make the jump to (predominantly) Canadian Jr and US colleges.

Go look over all the players coming from College in the last 15 years and you'll find strikingly familiar names. Both boom and busts

Couple of examples, Brian Hart (poor kid) will be thankful someday when he finishes his degree. Jack Eichel will most likely go back and get his degree at some point, one would think, but pretty sure he's in a good spot right now, no? I know some people here can't wait for Killorn to begin putting his Political Science degree to work :)sarcasm:). Ken Dryden was a college graduate for Christ's sake.

But if you need the most greatest example of a Lightning collegiate prospect everyone **** upon... undrafted, prospect camp attendee, never-more-than-a-penalty-killer 3rd/4th liner

Martin St Louis

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Where do you get that notion? Many kids feel their best path to the NHL is the Collegiate route and get a degree to fall back on. Other kids go the Canadian Jr route. And European prospects that have aspirations of playing in the NHL develop overseas and some make the jump to (predominantly) Canadian Jr and US colleges.

Go look over all the players coming from College in the last 15 years and you'll find strikingly familiar names. Both boom and busts

Couple of examples, Brian Hart (poor kid) will be thankful someday when he finishes his degree. Jack Eichel will most likely go back and get his degree at some point, one would think, but pretty sure he's in a good spot right now, no? I know some people here can't wait for Killorn to begin putting his Political Science degree to work :)sarcasm:). Ken Dryden was a college graduate for Christ's sake.

But if you need the most greatest example of a Lightning collegiate prospect everyone **** upon... undrafted, prospect camp attendee, never-more-than-a-penalty-killer 3rd/4th liner

Martin St Louis

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
It's nice to have a good mix of college guys and guys from the junior ranks. The college guys get 4 years to develop before we have to sign them to ELC's, the junior guys only get 2. There are only so many spots in the AHL to properly develop these kids.

There is a risk drafting the college guys too though. They can become free agents and sign with any team at the end of their four year college stint. We had this problem with Wilcox, who looked poised to become a free agent before he struggled his senior year and his low stock forced him to stick with a log jammed Lightning organization.

I don't think we need use any early picks on goalies, getting one late is always a good idea though.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
It's nice to have a good mix of college guys and guys from the junior ranks. The college guys get 4 years to develop before we have to sign them to ELC's, the junior guys only get 2. There are only so many spots in the AHL to properly develop these kids.

There is a risk drafting the college guys too though. They can become free agents and sign with any team at the end of their four year college stint. We had this problem with Wilcox, who looked poised to become a free agent before he struggled his senior year and his low stock forced him to stick with a log jammed Lightning organization.

I don't think we need use any early picks on goalies, getting one late is always a good idea though.

actually, you could get 5-6 years out of a college pick. If they are going to play Jr. A/USHL for a year or two before going to college, it extends the length of time you have their rights. I suppose a guy could redshirt or sit the transfer year and get that as well.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
actually, you could get 5-6 years out of a college pick. If they are going to play Jr. A/USHL for a year or two before going to college, it extends the length of time you have their rights. I suppose a guy could redshirt or sit the transfer year and get that as well.

I didn't know that, probably because it's unbelievably rare since they can become free agents after four years.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
FWIW - Bleacher Report lists their Draft grades

Grades
Anaheim Ducks: B- (Top pick:*LW Maxime Comtois)
Arizona Coyotes: C+ (Top pick: D Pierre-Olivier Joseph)
Boston Bruins: C+ (Top pick: D Urho Vaakanainen)
Buffalo Sabres: B+ (Top pick: C Casey Mittelstadt)
Calgary Flames: C+ (Top pick: D Juuso Valimaki)
Carolina Hurricanes: B (Top pick: C Martin Necas)
Chicago Blackhawks: C (Top pick: D Henri Jokiharju)
Colorado Avalanche: A- (Top pick: D Cale Makar)
Columbus Blue Jackets: C- (Top pick: C Alexandre Texier)
Dallas Stars: B+ (Top pick: D Miro Heiskanen)
Detroit Red Wings: B (Top pick: C Michael Rasmussen)
Edmonton Oilers: B- (Top pick: RW Kailer Yamamoto)
Florida Panthers: B+ (Top pick: RW Owen Tippett)
Los Angeles Kings: B+ (Top pick: C Gabriel Vilardi)
Minnesota Wild: D+ (Top pick:*RW Ivan Lodnia)
Montreal Canadiens: C+ (Top pick: C Ryan Poehling)
Nashville Predators: A- (Top pick:*RW Eeli Tolvanen)
New Jersey Devils: B+ (Top pick: C Nico Hischier)
New York Islanders: C- (Top pick: D Robin Salo)
New York Rangers: B+ (Top pick: C Lias Andersson)
Ottawa Senators: B (Top pick: C Shane Bowers)
Philadelphia Flyers: A (Top pick: C Nolan Patrick)
Pittsburgh Penguins: D+ (Top pick: D Zachary Lauzon)
San Jose Sharks: B+ (Top pick: C Josh Norris)
St. Louis Blues: B+ (Top pick: C Robert Thomas)
Tampa Bay Lightning: B+ (Top pick: D Cal Foote)
Toronto Maple Leafs: B (Top pick: Timothy Liljegren)
Vancouver Canucks: A- (Top pick: C Elias Pettersson)
Vegas Golden Knights: A (Top pick: C Cody Glass)
Washington Capitals: D (Top pick: D Tobias Geisser)

YMMV

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Last edited by a moderator:

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Pretty solid draft IMO.

Why are people disappointed in the Foote pick? Huge frame, RHD, father's a former 1,000+ GP NHLer and Cup winner.

I think we should draft his brother Nolan in 2 years.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Pretty solid draft IMO.

Why are people disappointed in the Foote pick? Huge frame, RHD, father's a former 1,000+ GP NHLer and Cup winner.

I think we should draft his brother Nolan in 2 years.

Seems like the "safest" pick we've had in a while, which I don't think is a bad thing. I doubt RHD are about to get any less precious, so having one who looks like a sure-bet to be an NHL reg ensures we won't have some of our most common headaches in the future.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Seems like the "safest" pick we've had in a while, which I don't think is a bad thing. I doubt RHD are about to get any less precious, so having one who looks like a sure-bet to be an NHL reg ensures we won't have some of our most common headaches in the future.

That and the "better" Dmen chosen right after have pretty big question marks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad