Prospect Info: The 2015 NHL Draft Thread VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Agreed but apparently Ivan is moving up the charts according to others

I don't disagree with that, I just think in trade discussions Hanifin will have greater perceived value...unless there is a team that HAS to have Provorov.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Zacha, Yan, and a strong 2-way player will go a long way for us. Not only gives us two (MAYBE 3) potential top6 talents, it deepens our pool and allows the flexibility to make more trades. Any additional pickups would be gravy for this offseason. Then continue to build next year as well.

NJD1982

Mar 31, 2007
If Hanifin is as good as people say he is then I don't see a situation where we trade him. Most likely it makes trading Gelinas or Merrill that much easier.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I would not be too happy with this draft.
Rantanen and Yan have high bust potential plus too many defensemen.
Devils mock courtesy of Draftsite.com

1 6 Mikko Rantanen RW TPS Turku (SM-liiga) 6' 3.75" 195
2 36 Dennis Yan LW Shawinigan (QMJHL) 6' 2" 192
2 41 Brandon Carlo D Tri-City (WHL) 6' 5" 185
3 67 Sami Niku D JYP Jyvaskyla (SM-liiga) 6' 1" 176
4 97 Nikita Pavlychev C Des Moines (USHL) 6' 6" 206
5 140 Lukas Jasek RW Trinec (Czech) 5' 11.75" 172
6 157 Grant Gabriele D US-Under-17 (USAH-NTDP) 6' 2" 170
7 206 Michael Lackey G US-Under-17 (USAH-NTDP) 6' 2" 205

If Brandon Carlo is still on the board at #41 and we grab him I'll have a happy explosion in my pants. He's raw as hell but his potential is through the roof.

I wouldn't hate Rantanen at #6.

I would be upset if we took Yan while passing on Sprong or Bracco.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
If Brandon Carlo is still on the board at #41 and we grab him I'll have a happy explosion in my pants. He's raw as hell but his potential is through the roof.

It seems like one (I think Bracco) might end up going late 1st round.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
It seems like one (I think Bracco) might end up going late 1st round.

Probably. There's a ton of quality forwards in this draft.

Ideally we get Marner/Barzal/Rantanen/whoever at #6, a falling 1st round talent at #36, and I know Conte like his 2nd round defenseman so we can grab one of those at #41.

I have a feeling we'll do a good job, though.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013

What's so great about Bracco vs Yan? Yan is bigger, has shown a lot of skill, and is rated head and shoulders above him.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
What's so great about Bracco vs Yan? Yan is bigger, has shown a lot of skill, and is rated head and shoulders above him.

Bracco is a much better skater from what I've seen. He's got a nose for the net and is fantastic in transition. Great first few steps. Strong finisher. A guy that makes his own chances.

Yan strikes me as an all flash kind of guy.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Bracco is a much better skater from what I've seen. He's got a nose for the net and is fantastic in transition. Great first few steps. Strong finisher. A guy that makes his own chances.

Yan strikes me as an all flash kind of guy.

Not arguing, just asking - have you seen Yan play much too?

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
If Sprong is available for our first second we need to take him. He's the type of offensive talent we need to take a shot at at.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Not arguing, just asking - have you seen Yan play much too?

Not too much I'm afraid. The times I did see him his skill was undeniable, especially his hand-eye coordination. But I'm not sure if he'll "put it together".

I was quite impressed when I saw Brocco play in person. He had a very good motor with skill to match. Yan kind of struck me as a Rob Schremp kind of prospect. But I'll admit I haven't seen much of him lately and he could have developed his game quite a bit.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Not too much I'm afraid. The times I did see him his skill was undeniable, especially his hand-eye coordination. But I'm not sure if he'll "put it together".

I was quite impressed when I saw Brocco play in person. He had a very good motor with skill to match. Yan kind of struck me as a Rob Schremp kind of prospect. But I'll admit I haven't seen much of him lately and he could have developed his game quite a bit.

Thanks for the feedback...I'm admittedly intrigued just by what I've read - scoring, skating, hands, etc. he's also tall enough and has room to muscle up a bit. One report compared him to Vanek. I'd be happy taking a shot on him in the 2nd.

Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey

We will have absolutely nothing to do with anyone compared to Schremp.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
At this point I'm happy with taking Barzal or trading down. However, by trading down everyone assumes we'll get Zacha or Rantanen. Why do I fear Kyle Connor turning out better than both.

NJD1982

Mar 31, 2007
At this point I'm happy with taking Barzal or trading down. However, by trading down everyone assumes we'll get Zacha or Rantanen. Why do I fear Kyle Connor turning out better than both.

I would not be opposed to taking Connor if we traded down. Seems like a safer pick than Barzal even if the ceiling isn't as high I think.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

That's a good question considering Connor plays in a significantly lower level league not known for producing top offensive players.

KovalSNIPE

Feb 9, 2011
I wouldn't mind choosing Carlo with one of our seconds. I really liked what I saw from him at the WJC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad