Prospect Info: The 2015 NHL Draft Thread V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
well in this upcoming draft, assuming Marner gone by our pick, i would rather take Zacha(who's rated to go after 10) rather than a defenseman or someone like Crouse

but knowing our dinosaur brain trust we'll take BPA

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
in regards to our recent drafting of forwards, it seems like that is in fact false.

Explain.

I don't care about the later rounds. From round 3 onwards, there's so many question marks to a players game. You draft guys with all the skill in the world in hopes that they round out their games or you draft guys with rounded games and hope some of their potential skill translates. For every Hoeffel that doesn't amount to anything there is an Omark who can't adjust to the NHL game.

And yes, I know Hoeffel is a second round pick, but it was a very late second round pick and not exactly a deep draft.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Explain.

I don't care about the later rounds. From round 3 onwards, there's so many question marks to a players game. You draft guys with all the skill in the world in hopes that they round out their games or you draft guys with rounded games and hope some of their potential skill translates. For every Hoeffel that doesn't amount to anything there is an Omark who can't adjust to the NHL game.

And yes, I know Hoeffel is a second round pick, but it was a very late second round pick and not exactly a deep draft.

the Devils seemingly always draft SAFE when it comes to forwards rather than draft on production/upside. as someone mentioned the other day about the Red Wing scout's quote- they always draft on skill/production. if tehse players do not turn out, worst case scenario they turn into bottom 6 players. but BEST case, they can turn into gamebreakers potentially.

and I don't want to hear the "we drafted late" thing anymore, I'm sorry. there are plenty of teams who did also who are not nearly as bad off as we are.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
the Devils seemingly always draft SAFE when it comes to forwards rather than draft on production/upside. as someone mentioned the other day about the Red Wing scout's quote- they always draft on skill/production. if tehse players do not turn out, worst case scenario they turn into bottom 6 players. but BEST case, they can turn into gamebreakers potentially.

and I don't want to hear the "we drafted late" thing anymore, I'm sorry. there are plenty of teams who did also who are not nearly as bad off as we are.

It works both ways in my opinion.

In the later rounds, you don't draft Janssen's obviously. The Devils have slowly started to move away from that. However, the guys like Chatham and Baddock that they draft aren't just drafted to be fighters. They are drafted because they are big guys with the tools to physically dominate games.

To me, it's the same thing as drafting Gavrus and hoping he can get his skill to translate while overcoming his injuries and rounding out his game.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
It works both ways in my opinion.

In the later rounds, you don't draft Janssen's obviously. The Devils have slowly started to move away from that. However, the guys like Chatham and Baddock that they draft aren't just drafted to be fighters. They are drafted because they are big guys with the tools to physically dominate games.

To me, it's the same thing as drafting Gavrus and hoping he can get his skill to translate while overcoming his injuries and rounding out his game.

I think this is exactly correct but you also have to look at the organizational philosophy.

We have always valued two way play and it has been a rarity to have any players on this team that don't fit that mold. There just haven't been many I can even think of that have played in this organization that haven't played a complete game...Sykora, Gomez at various times and Kovalchuk have been about it.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Let's say that right now for argument sake, Ex: Crouse is further ahead of Zacha in terms of their development and who is more NHL ready.

But, Lou Conte believe that Zacha will be the better player in 2 to 3 seasons.

I would hope & think that they are smart enough to take Zacha (or the player) that they think will be the best player down the line and not even consider who is more NHL ready.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
im not totally sold on Zacha. I think hes the drop candidate of this years draft. I like him, but not with #6

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
im not totally sold on Zacha. I think hes the drop candidate of this years draft. I like him, but not with #6

I'm not sure I'd take him at 6 either, but I used him & Crouse as an example against drafting the player that is perceived to be the most NHL ready.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
I'm not sure I'd take him at 6 either, but I used him & Crouse as an example against drafting the player that is perceived to be the most NHL ready.

I know, he just came up in the discussion

anyway, im fine with either Barzal or Rantanen. Marner would be awesome if a top-5 team took Crouse or Provorov

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Let's say that right now for argument sake, Ex: Crouse is further ahead of Zacha in terms of their development and who is more NHL ready.

I would hope & think that they are smart enough to take Zacha (or the player) that they think will be the best player down the line and not even consider who is more NHL ready.

They'll take whoever they have ranked higher, as they've always done.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Where's the evidence they've ever done that? They've had one pick above 29 in the last five-six years and Larsson was a no-brainer for like 99% of the pundits. They picked plenty of college kids in the high second round like Merrill and Santini, as well as Gelinas who took years to get to the NHL.

Czech Trio

Aug 29, 2009
I hope this pick comes down to Marner/Barzal. Both are all about high octane offense. Can't imagine a scenario in which they are both off the table. McDavid and Eichel go 1-2, Strome and Hanifin most likely at 3-4 in some order, then it comes down to Carolina opting to go Provorov/Werenski or Marner.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I hope this pick comes down to Marner/Barzal. Both are all about high octane offense. Can't imagine a scenario in which they are both off the table. McDavid and Eichel go 1-2, Strome and Hanifin most likely at 3-4 in some order, then it comes down to Carolina opting to go Provorov/Werenski or Marner.

Barzal should almost definitely be there at 6. Thing is it can easily be both Provorov (who does look like a stud) and Barzal at 6. What do you do?

Marner most likely not.

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA

Carolina will definitely not pass up Marner. I think the top 5 is locked, just the order is up for grabs between 3 and 5.

brule2000

Jan 9, 2006
Can someone explain to me what taking chances on picks mean? Does that mean taking one dimensional offensive players? Small players? What the heck does this even mean?

What was Dudek, Boucher, Kerfoot, Kujawinski, Bergfors, Tedenby, Vasyunov....?

Adrian Foster in the first round. I think that's a fairly definitive example.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Carolina will definitely not pass up Marner. I think the top 5 is locked, just the order is up for grabs between 3 and 5.

I wonder if Carolina goes D.

I think there's a solid chance Crouse or Provorov crack the top five. Obviously, it means Hanifin, Strome, or Marner is going to fall to us.

Otherwise, Crouse and Provorov seem to be in their only little group after that. I don't know what the Devils would do then.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I wonder if Carolina goes D.

I think there's a solid chance Crouse or Provorov crack the top five. Obviously, it means Hanifin, Strome, or Marner is going to fall to us.

Otherwise, Crouse and Provorov seem to be in their only little group after that. I don't know what the Devils would do then.

I don't see a situation where Strome passes Toronto.

Marner could slip because of concerns over his size, but I doubt he passes us or Philly.

I could see Provorov crack 5 if someone really wants D.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Thing is, we could afford to take chances at the time. Now, not so much.

Exactly. We are trying to put depth in, get youth with a high chance of becoming NHL players and filling in effectively in the middle 6 with Henrique type production (at least 30-40 points and responsible in all ends).

There is a lot to be said about the need to control young decent talent with the way contracts work, and how expense the free agent market is for even middle 6 guys.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I don't see a situation where Strome passes Toronto.

Marner could slip because of concerns over his size, but I doubt he passes us or Philly.

I could see Provorov crack 5 if someone really wants D.

Crouse and Provorov can really mess everything up.

The only thing that is set to me is McDavid/Eichel. After that, I don't know what's going to happen.

Arizona -- you would think they would go forward but their defensive depth seems to be running out. They could just as easily go D and draft Hanifin or Provorov

Toronto -- Strome seems like the logical choice here but again they could see a need for defense and take Provorov or Hanifin. Hell, they could even go for Crouse here.

Carolina -- Similar to Arizona. They could pretty much use any of the players at this point.

Even for us, Provorov or Hanifin fills a need for us as a LHD. We could use another one. Sure, we could use a forward a lot more but if Provorov or Hanifin are going to become top pairing D, do you draft a lesser forward instead of those two?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad