Prospect Info: The 2015 NHL Draft Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Yeah, let's not make the same mistake Toronto did in giving us the chance to draft Nieds.

Yup no Tom kurvers for 3rd overall pick type trades.If Hanfin falls to six take it and run. It's not like we have any high end LHD prospects.

The Devils need a proper foundation in the forward core before adding guys like this.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Yup no Tom kurvers for 3rd overall pick type trades.If Hanfin falls to six take it and run. It's not like we have any high end LHD prospects.

The Devils need a proper foundation in the forward core before adding guys like this.

Hanifin at 6 would require a gif party. You run to the podium in that case, he's clearly one of the five elite players in the draft. Comparable to Alex Pietrangelo.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The idea isn't if Hanafin is at 6. It's if the scout consensus is Provorov or Werkenski are the BPA at 6th and maybe 7th too.

Then what do you do? Reach for need? Because there aren't a ton of rankings putting the forwards we are speaking of at 6th

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
We need a forward...but I'm starting to warm up to the idea of a defense consisting of

Hanifin/Provorov - Larsson
Merrill - Severson
LHD - Santini

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
See that is the thing. I like some of these forwards after the top 4, but are they right for a 6th overall or are the defense guys?

And if not do we just draft BPA, go for need even if its a reach, or trade?

I still like Barzal, but a lot of rankings have him outside the top ten. Rantanen is another one.

Then you got Crouse who none of us want who is breaking into the top 7 in a lot of rankings.

Just feels like legit questions because of how much uncertainty there seems to be after the 5th pick.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
When you're drafting as high as we are, I think you should always go BPA, so if our scouts feel that's a defenseman, so be it. It doesn't seem like there's really much of a consensus in the top 10 after McDavid, Eichel, and Hanifin are all gone.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
See that is the thing. I like some of these forwards after the top 4, but are they right for a 6th overall or are the defense guys?

And if not do we just draft BPA, go for need even if its a reach, or trade?

I still like Barzal, but a lot of rankings have him outside the top ten. Rantanen is another one.

Then you got Crouse who none of us want who is breaking into the top 7 in a lot of rankings.

Just feels like legit questions because of how much uncertainty there seems to be after the 5th pick.

I'm fine with Barzal/Rantanen at #6 if that ends up happening. Bob McKenzie on a recent interview reiterated that the difference between the guy ranked say #5 and #9 isn't as big as it's usually perceived.

It'll be fun to see Bob's lottery edition of his rankings. His last one came out right after Barzal returned, so there's a chance that Barzal's moved up since then.

As things stand, Columbus/Colorado might be jockeying with each other for the choice of Provorov/Werenski. They might be the most natural trade partners.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Our best chance at a high end homegrown offensive talent at forward in...forever?

Our d-core is young and stacked.

I seriously cannot believe there are still people who want to draft Hanifin if he's there. Like, I'm sincerely having a hard time processing this. Our forward core is pitiful. Our forward prospects are pitiful. Trade back one or two spots, or draft a forward two spots "earlier" than he should be. Don't waste (And yes, it'd be a waste, no matter how good the d-man is, because then we have to deal a different defenseman from a surplus, and nobody gives value on surplus, economics) this pick.

I just have the faintest, most sincere hope that Lou and Conte are a tad smarter than that.

HughJazz3dg

Jun 27, 2011
Our best chance at a high end homegrown offensive talent at forward in...forever?

Our d-core is young and stacked.

I seriously cannot believe there are still people who want to draft Hanifin if he's there. Like, I'm sincerely having a hard time processing this. Our forward core is pitiful. Our forward prospects are pitiful. Trade back one or two spots, or draft a forward two spots "earlier" than he should be. Don't waste (And yes, it'd be a waste, no matter how good the d-man is, because then we have to deal a different defenseman from a surplus, and nobody gives value on surplus, economics) this pick.

I just have the faintest, most sincere hope that Lou and Conte are a tad smarter than that.

You don't pass potentially elite defenseman to draft potential top 6 forwards. With our forward prospects, I would love nothing more than to draft a forward with our 1st rounder, but unless there is a forward on the same tier, you pick Hanifan if he falls.

I wouldn't be opposed to a trade down either, but don't pick Crouse, Barzal, or Rantenan over Hanifan just because it's a need.

Like ZBC said though, he won't fall to us.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
You don't pass potentially elite defenseman to draft potential top 6 forwards. With our forward prospects, I would love nothing more than to draft a forward with our 1st rounder, but unless there is a forward on the same tier, you pick Hanifan if he falls.

I wouldn't be opposed to a trade down either, but don't pick Crouse, Barzal, or Rantenan over Hanifan just because it's a need.

Like ZBC said though, he won't fall to us.

Please feel free to ask Seth Jones about his wonderful Colorado backstory with Sakic, or #3 consensus Coutourier if they think anyone on these boards or anyone doing mock drafts have any ****ing clue as to where people get drafted.

I mean, outside of an McDavid/Eichel #1/2... there are really lots and lots of orders these guys could go in. For all we know Crouse could be top 7 or fall into the 20s. Hanifan could fall like any other. I'd be really surprised if Marner fell, but weirder stuff has happened.

Shinkaruk was supposed to be a good fit for us at #9... before he fell to #24.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I don't think anybody is saying we need D. Obviously we have some great young defensemen. But it's not as black and white as we need forwards so every single pick should be a forward. You have to look at the talent available on the board at the time. Should we pass on a potential top pairing defenseman for a potential second line forward just because we need forwards?

We could just as easily take a forward, have a defenseman taken after him end up being better, and the same people complaining about taking a defenseman will be in here ripping Conte a new one. Or we could take a defenseman and have a forward taken after him end up being better. There's no way of knowing what these kids are going to be 4-5 years from now.

Hopefully the BPA is a forward and we don't have to worry about any potential drama. Although it's HF Devils, so I should probably know better.:laugh:

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
The crux of the matter, and it's not as simple as we like to make it sound sometimes, is would you rather take a D because you think he might be Pietrangelo or Doughty, or do you take a forward whose ceiling might be more like Lupul or Perron because the system is so starved of top-6 forwards? Both sides have their merits.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Ill be honest is we are sitting at 6 and im the Devils with Rantanen, Crouse, Barzal, Provorov, Connor, and Werenski. I might see if anyone say down to 9 wants to move up and give us something of value. Yes we could have our pick of any of those players staying at 6. But the players from 6-10 or so all seem to be nearly on the same level.

If you can add something to them plus land one of those guys that would be great.

Ideal world, but highly unlikely. Lou commits highway robbery on the Flyers because they want Crouse in the worst way and manages to land their pick behind us and their later round 1st also for our first and one of the seconds.

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
I'm tired of seeing so many people want to trade down - for what? to pick up another pick for a guy who may or may not pan out 3 or 4 years from now? Screw that! I'm more in favor of us being aggressive to take a shot at moving up 1-3 places and grabbing that offensive star that we've been lacking since Parise and that Russian guy left.

The way I see it, Edmonton has stunk for a while and have plenty of guys in their prospect pool, they may be inclined to trade back a few spots for a "now" asset or two and can still possibly pick up a very solid player that can help them in Crouse or Werenski/Provorov. If we can jump up to three (post lottery), we could possibly snag Strome - our potential number 1 center for the next 8-10 years or more.

Carolina may be willing to move back one spot if they're looking at defense, and a move into the top 5 will give us a shot at Marner. 1 spot may not take much, perhaps a now dman prospect like a Burlon or a Helgeson (although I like Seth) or else maybe our early 3rd rounder. Why would we do that? to prevent another team such as Philly from making a move up 2 spots and leapfrogging us to take Marner right out from under our noses.

Toronto might be less inclined to move back, especially if they are top 4 with a solid chance at Strome but if they are liking Crouse and see him as being bale to make their team next year (he has the size), they also may want to retool and a guy like Gelinas (RFA) might be an attractive proposition.

I want Lou to be aggressive and although we all think we are deft of forward prospects, I disagree. We do have some decent forwards, just no possible 1st liners. Be aggressive and make a move to ensure we get a 1st line player in Strome or Marner.....instead of trading back and adding guys a bit riskier and with more likely chances of being 2nd or 3rd liners - which we already have enough of in my opinion.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I also don't like trading down.

Make the pick at 6th.

The last time Lou traded down in the 1st round we lost out on Eberle.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
If we don't get McDavid, I would hope Lou can trade down. Connor and Boeser or Chlapick would make me very happy. Don't really want to see us draft a defenseman. I'm still up in the air over Zacha, Crouse or Rantanen.

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
If we don't get McDavid, I would hope Lou can trade down. Connor and Boeser or Chlapick would make me very happy. Don't really want to see us draft a defenseman. I'm still up in the air over Zacha, Crouse or Rantanen.

Why trade down? Why not trade up? Trade up and get that big time forward talent, IF one of the teams below us is willing to move back a little and it won't gut the roster? If we finish 6th, what would it take to move up to 3rd or 4th?

Its time for Lou to be aggressive because free agency won't cut it and its not 100% set in stone he can trade for a big time scorer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad