The 2015-2016 Blues Discussion Thread - Part I ‎

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Hitch needs to go. He probably should have been canned after last year. After watching us go out with a whimper for the fourth year in a row, I want big changes. I'm actually starting to wonder if maybe we should move Backes.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Hitchcock can go. His goaltending decisions and attempt to run the 1-2-2 factored significantly into the series outcome.

Forwards: Oshie, Berglund, Goc, and Ott can go. If Backes goes, the Blues need to bring in another top 6 or better center because I can't see how they can feel comfortable handing Lehtera that job. I think he should stay, personally.

Defense: Michalek can go. I'd like to see Jackman finish his career as a Blue, but there's a decent chance he's gone. Bouwmeester should go only if an injury was affecting him this year. I'm guessing one was, so I think he should stay until I hear otherwise.

I'd like to see the Blues add some speed up front. If they aren't committed to a physical game, they'll need that speed to augment their defense (backchecking) and to create offensive opportunities on the rush. Being able to stretch the rink vertically on offense while still being able to recover on defense is a weapon I'd like the Blues to have.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I'm not even sure if I want Hitch to have anything to do with the organization.... especially if he wants to still have some power.

I doubt Babcock actually becomes available with his success in Detroit.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Oshie, Berglund, Jackman and Michalek had to have played their last games as a Blue. Absolutely no reason for any of them to be back. None at all. Why would anyone care about Jackman's career at this point? The team can't get past the first round but yeah let's cater to Barret's needs. No, he's done here.

Guys like Ott, Backes, Bouwmeester - maybe look at trades for them. I'd like to see them gone, but I could live with it if they're not I guess.

Change this stupid ****ing team.

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that Tippett is able to opt out of Phoenix. Would love him to come to STL.

Jax, Oshie, Michalek, and Hitch should all be gone.

SweetyV

Apr 27, 2014
Glad to see this thread pop up. Always allows me to forget about the playoff sadness and look ahead.

Hitch has to be gone. No question. Who's brought in to replace him? Todd Macllean? Babcock would be ideal but an extreme long shot.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Hitchcock can go. His goaltending decisions and attempt to run the 1-2-2 factored significantly into the series outcome.

Forwards: Oshie, Berglund, Goc, and Ott can go. If Backes goes, the Blues need to bring in another top 6 or better center because I can't see how they can feel comfortable handing Lehtera that job. I think he should stay, personally.

Defense: Michalek can go. I'd like to see Jackman finish his career as a Blue, but there's a decent chance he's gone. Bouwmeester should go only if an injury was affecting him this year. I'm guessing one was, so I think he should stay until I hear otherwise.

I'd like to see the Blues add some speed up front. If they aren't committed to a physical game, they'll need that speed to augment their defense (backchecking) and to create offensive opportunities on the rush. Being able to stretch the rink vertically on offense while still being able to recover on defense is a weapon I'd like the Blues to have.

The Blues need to add speed (and get a little younger) on defence AND among the forwards ranks.

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
I think Lindbohm/Edmunson/Vannelli/Bortuzzo/Hakanpaa need to be given an opportunity to compete for at least 2 top 6 spots. The only 2 top 6 spots I see as locked are Petro and Shatty, with JBo being near a lock(I think his injury impacted his play more than we thought). I'm indifferent on Gunnar.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I think we all are in same page what guys should go after this pathetic post-season. (again)

Only difference I have seen with Backes, Berglund and maybe Jackman.

My opinion is.

OUT:
Code:
Oshie
Berglund
Jbo
Michalek
Jackman
Goc
Ott

Hitch

Questionable:

Code:
Gunnarsson
Backes
Butler

I think we should create poll where is votes who should go OUT.

Have to say they need to think deeply is Lehterä fit for Schwartz - Tarasenko line? He was to me disappointment, big disappointment.

I really don't believe that Fabbri is ready next season to NHL level. Maybe he play some under 20GP, mostly in AHL.

Biggest concern to me is what is real issue with Jbo. Is he really playing injured or just slowed down after that injury and need Bahama trip.

Blues lines, there is so much space. :)

Code:
Steen - X - X
Schwartz - Lehterä/X - Tarasenko
x - Stastny - Jaskin
X - Sobotka - Reaves

X - Petro
Lindbohm - Shattery
X - Bortuzzo

I'm thinking also this is Reaves needed in this team. He is presenting some Blues identity with hard hitting, forecheck game. If Ott and Jackman is out who it leaves Reaves quite alone.

But I have bad feeling we don't see so much change and mostly Hitch is going to stay.

I just hope he is out.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
I wouldn't mind trading Bouw and trying to go out and get someone like Sekera in the offseason. Keep Gunnarsson and elevate Lindbohm.

Sekera - Pietrangelo
Lindbohm - Shattenkirk
Gunnarsson - Bortuzzo

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
Also I hope the Blues sign someone like Justin Williams.

0 players on this roster have made it to the SCF, much less win it. I think having a player from a winning culture can do a lot.

Chojin

Tiny Panger...
Apr 6, 2011
I should be furious, but really, this is a good opportunity for the Blues to fix what's wrong with the team. Hitch's contract is expiring, there are a bunch of good coaches available, there's a deep draft, and we have a decent prospect pool. Personnel wise, there are teams like Edmonton and Buffalo that will want to start improving this year; they'll need good veterans and they won't care about playoff failures, since they won't be contenders for a while. This should make it easy for Blues to move players like Backes and Oshie, who clearly aren't helping the team.

Unlike years past, our team wasn't injured and we weren't playing an obvious contender, so there aren't any excuses. This should give Stillman and Army a great deal of clarify; they know that the current personnel just won't do it. This is a blessing, honestly; the last thing we needed was another excuse continue the status quo.

There's going to be some major changes this year. The Blues will probably "retool" like San Jose; but, unlike Doug Wilson, Armstrong has very movable contracts to work with. Backes and Oshie only make 4.7m and 4.5m, respectively, which is very reasonable for 50-60 point forwards, and they only have partial NTC's. Either would be a great pickup, especially for rebuilding teams that need to take on some salary. I don't expect we'll move Berglund, who, for all his perceived regular season failures, at least shows up during the postseason.

We can easily let our free agents walk. Jackman, as much as I love him, is easily replaced by Lindbohm. We don't really need Michalek, although I wouldn't be mad if he stuck around. Goc and Jokinen will walk, and we'll be able to go with the CPR line, which we should have been doing all along.

I don't expect that we'll be contenders for a few years, but I'd rather build for the future than end up like the pre-rebuild Flames or the Canucks. Army needs to stop trying to build the next Bruins or Kings and start building a team based on skill, speed, and puck possession. There's no reason it can't be done, so long as Stillman and Armstrong have the courage to go through with it.

Chippewa

Feb 19, 2012
houseboat, venezuela
I'd clear things out starting with Army.

I'm sorry, but outside of the EJ trade, not at all impressed. And he has presided over the last few years.

I'm done with him. Obviously done with Hitch and the coaching staff (minus Corsi).

Get a new GM, new coach/staff, and a few new players to replace the "core" that has been doing this time and time again. We all know who they are.

Stick letters on Schwartz, Pietrangelo, Shatty, and maybe one of the new bloods we should be bringing in.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Lindbohm 19-22 minutes a night at ES is too scary at this point.

Hoping Porter is a roster player next year, shows up every game and can play anywhere.

It may be, but Petro is good enough to carry him and we saw Lindbohm elevate his play when he was moved up. Basically what it comes down to is this: I think Bouwmeester needs to be paired with someone physical. Gunnar and Shatty were good together so I think they should get a chance to stay paired.

One could switch Gunnar and Lindbohm though.

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
I think Army should really be the first one out. He's missed a couple moves lately. Letunov was too much for Z, and we overpaid for Statsny. The Miller trade was bad, but something that kinda had to be done. Either way, it's time to start fresh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad