Speculation: The 2015-16 Lightning: Our team next year

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Neither do I. There is no trade in the world in which we would get a fair trade for him. For argument's sake lets say the Leafs came a-knockin. Who the heck are they going to give us? Kadri? Phaneuf? Nylander? That's not a fair trade at all! They wouldn't give up Kessel. The only interest I'd have would be their draft picks.

And for the simple fact he's our superstar and our captain I'm inclined to agree with you.

Seriously? He isn't anywhere close to the top player in the league. For example if Boston offers Berergon and Hamilton you bet your ass Yzerman is listening.

Cigar City

Apr 21, 2012
Tampa
I could see us keeping Carle (NTC). I would be okay with it, unless we are really pressed for cap room.

Sustr - Goneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Sleeper guess: Killorn gets traded.

I can also see Yzerman signing/trading for a #6RHD.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Also, get JAM on the 4th line, guy has a scoring touch, wheels and high energy, I'd prefer that over Namestnikov.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I could see us keeping Carle (NTC). I would be okay with it, unless we are really pressed for cap room.

Sustr - Goneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Sleeper guess: Killorn gets traded.

I can also see Yzerman signing/trading for a #6RHD.

killorn traded no way not yet

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Seriously? He isn't anywhere close to the top player in the league. For example if Boston offers Berergon and Hamilton you bet your ass Yzerman is listening.

Bergeron and Hamilton as a qualifier gets a "Go onnnn" from Yzerman at best. But there's no way Boston makes that trade to begin with and there's no way those guys EVER substitute the offense Stamkos brings.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
http://boltprospects.com/contract-info

RFAs:
Andrej Sustr
Carter Ashton
Cody Kunyk
Dalton Smith
Danick Gauthier
Daniel Milan
Jonathan Marchessault
Luke Witkowski
Mark Barberio
Philippe Paradis
Vladislav Namestnikov

UFAs:
Allen York
Brenden Morrow
Jean-Philippe Cote
Matt Corrente
Mike Angelidis
Mike Blunden

I think we'll pretty much see the same roster. This team is already a contender. If I'm Yzerman, the difference between the 2015 bolts and the 2016 bolts will hopefully come from the continued growth of our young guys. I expect Drouin and Vladdy to have bigger roles, and make a greater impact too. The only real changes imo will be

1. Witkowski will be off his ELC so he'll have to be the 7th/8th dman we carry.
2. Barbs is a RFA and I can see Yzerman giving him an offer. He's a good solider and he'll be cheap. I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted a change of scenery though. There's no future for him here and he can probably get the playing time he wants somewhere else.
3. Nesty really looked promising, but unless Yzerman makes a spot for him I think we'll see him go back to Syracuse. I don't want him in the pressbox. If he's not going to play up here, let him keep developing in Syracuse. This also leads me to...
4. Vasilevskiy. Same goes for Vasy. The kid needs to play and anyone behind Bish is not going to see a lot of action. Better off to grab a cheap backup in free agency and let Vasy play as much as possible in Syracuse.
5. Morrow will likely be gone. He doesn't have much left and I think Yzerman would have his ice time given to Drouin and Vladdy. So the top 12 forwards (91, 51, 17, 9, 86, 18, 90, 27, 24, 11, 13, & 23) is already set.

So without any trades being made I think what we'll see added could be a new backup, a bottom pairing Dman, and an energy line forward. Kinda boring, but we pretty much have everything we need already.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Also, get JAM on the 4th line, guy has a scoring touch, wheels and high energy, I'd prefer that over Namestnikov.

I still wouldn't be surprised to see Namestnikov dealt on draft day. We have 3 top-six centermen and two bottom-six centermen. And we have a similar player (Peca) coming up in the AHL, and his progression seems to better suit the Lightning's timeline.

xteesy

Jun 19, 2014
Tampa
After the marty st.louis deal I don't think matt carle will go against stevie yzerman! trust me yzerman will trade carle somewhere good! Carle will sign off on it! could see carle going back to philly np.

Wonder if they'd do Carle for Gudas.

I really want that guy back :(

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

RFAs:
Andrej Sustr
Carter Ashton
Cody Kunyk
Dalton Smith
Danick Gauthier
Daniel Milan
Jonathan Marchessault
Luke Witkowski
Mark Barberio
Philippe Paradis
Vladislav Namestnikov

UFAs:
Allen York
Brenden Morrow
Jean-Philippe Cote
Matt Corrente
Mike Angelidis
Mike Blunden

I think we'll pretty much see the same roster. This team is already a contender. If I'm Yzerman, the difference between the 2015 bolts and the 2016 bolts will hopefully come from the continued growth of our young guys. I expect Drouin and Vladdy to have bigger roles, and make a greater impact too. The only real changes imo will be

1. Witkowski will be off his ELC so he'll have to be the 7th/8th dman we carry.
2. Barbs is a RFA and I can see Yzerman giving him an offer. He's a good solider and he'll be cheap. I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted a change of scenery though. There's no future for him here and he can probably get the playing time he wants somewhere else.
3. Nesty really looked promising, but unless Yzerman makes a spot for him I think we'll see him go back to Syracuse. I don't want him in the pressbox. If he's not going to play up here, let him keep developing in Syracuse. This also leads me to...
4. Vasilevskiy. Same goes for Vasy. The kid needs to play and a back to Bish is not going to see a lot of action. Better off to grab a cheap backup in free agency and let Vasy play as much as possible in Syracuse.
5. Morrow will likely be gone. He doesn't have much left and I think Yzerman would have his ice time given to Drouin and Vladdy. So the top 12 forwards (91, 51, 17, 9, 86, 18, 90, 27, 24, 11, 13, & 23) is already being set.

So without any trades being made I think what we'll see could be a new backup, a bottom pairing Dman, and an energy line forward. Kinda boring, but we pretty much have everything we need already.
Vasy will back up bishop next year guds and wilcox will be in the ahl. i'd expect them to play vasy a lot more next year.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
So, what I want most: Carle/Sustr shipped off to ****ing Siberia. Actually, give them to a team I hate. The Bruins.

Morrow, adios. Wish you all the luck in the world, but you sucked here.

A backup goaltender. I'm SICK of losing games/valuable points because of goaltending. If we didn't have to suffer through Notgonnablockov, we'd probably have been the President's Trophy winners. Overpay if you have to. I hear Biron is on the market. Get a backup who knows his position, and plays it ****ing well. Leave Vasy in the A to refine his game.

Koekkoek can probably come up next season and do what Carle or Sustr did this season. Cheap bottom pairing fix. Nesterov - Koekkoek doesn't sound half bad, really. Better than that ****ing dumpster fire we were running.

What else... I'd say a more potent bottom 6. I was kind of surprised at how neutered Boyle was this entire playoffs. He scored how many goals as a 4th liner in the regular season again? 15 or so? That said, I'd like to keep Boyle. Brown might have to go. Love the kid, but he just can't finish. Can Names provide that scoring touch? JAM? Drouin will hopefully have "paid his dues" (**** off Cooper) and get top 6 minutes.

Very excited to see what Yzerman does with this roster. Just cutting the dead weight will bring me so much happiness when it happens.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

RFAs:
Andrej Sustr - let him walk
Carter Ashton - re-sign him and see if he can make the big team
Cody Kunyk - re-sign him
Dalton Smith - may as well bring him back
Danick Gauthier -let him go, we have no plans for him by the looks of it
Daniel Milan - I can honestly say I don't know who this guy is
Jonathan Marchessault - re-sign him, he's fantastic organizational depth
Luke Witkowski - same goes for this guy
Mark Barberio - let him go, someone else will give a real chance
Philippe Paradis - re-sign him
Vladislav Namestnikov - I'll go get the papers

UFAs:
Allen York - re-sign him and see how he develops
Brenden Morrow - time to retire buddy
Jean-Philippe Cote - let him go
Matt Corrente - re-sign if we have any money left
Mike Angelidis - re-sign him if he wants to stick around
Mike Blunden - re-sign him if he wants as well

My thoughts on the matter.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
So, what I want most: Carle/Sustr shipped off to ****ing Siberia. Actually, give them to a team I hate. The Bruins.

Morrow, adios. Wish you all the luck in the world, but you sucked here.

A backup goaltender. I'm SICK of losing games/valuable points because of goaltending. If we didn't have to suffer through Notgonnablockov, we'd probably have been the President's Trophy winners. Overpay if you have to. I hear Biron is on the market. Get a backup who knows his position, and plays it ****ing well. Leave Vasy in the A to refine his game.

Koekkoek can probably come up next season and do what Carle or Sustr did this season. Cheap bottom pairing fix. Nesterov - Koekkoek doesn't sound half bad, really. Better than that ****ing dumpster fire we were running.

What else... I'd say a more potent bottom 6. I was kind of surprised at how neutered Boyle was this entire playoffs. He scored how many goals as a 4th liner in the regular season again? 15 or so? That said, I'd like to keep Boyle. Brown might have to go. Love the kid, but he just can't finish. Can Names provide that scoring touch? JAM? Drouin will hopefully have "paid his dues" (**** off Cooper) and get top 6 minutes.

Very excited to see what Yzerman does with this roster. Just cutting the dead weight will bring me so much happiness when it happens.

Me neither, I can't believe these guys topped Purcell.

TheSchmidt

Dec 28, 2013
I still wouldn't be surprised to see Namestnikov dealt on draft day. We have 3 top-six centermen and two bottom-six centermen. And we have a similar player (Peca) coming up in the AHL, and his progression seems to better suit the Lightning's timeline.

This has crossed my mind too. Just don't know what we could trade him for. I guess maybe just another pick or prospect who doesn't have to be with the parent club.

Or package him with Coburn/Garrison to get an upgrade on D?

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Yes, they want to play, but not necessarily for Carolina, where he'll also be giving up considerable money with extra taxes.

Are there teams who would take him? Of course. But are any of those teams teams that Carle would be willing to go to? That's where it gets tough. I think he'd rather try to beat out Koekkoek and Nesterov in TB, while making more money, than go freeze in Toronto.

The one way I see this happening is if we take a bad contract, from a contender, in return.

It's not necessarily a bad thing if Carle is still here at the start next season anyway. On the other hand if either Nesterov or Koekkoek follow a standard progression, Carle could be riding the pine sooner than later. In the light of their young age these 2 kids are no slouch and Carle should be aware the competition for that 3rd pairing spot is likely to be fierce, with time not being on his side.

We'll see.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Vasy will back up bishop next year guds and wilcox will be in the ahl. i'd expect them to play vasy a lot more next year.

Vasy should be in the AHL for at least a year. IMO, three things got proven in this year's playoffs. 1.) Tyler Johnson is an elite player (when healthy), 2.) Victor Hedman is as good as any Dman in the league when he plays with Stralman, and, 3.) There's no clock ticking on Ben Bishop's time in TB. He came through big-time in these playoffs and proved he's a guy you can win a cup with. Those aren't easy to find.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Vasy should be in the AHL for at least a year. IMO, three things got proven in this year's playoffs. 1.) Tyler Johnson is an elite player (when healthy), 2.) Victor Hedman is as good as any Dman in the league when he plays with Stralman, and, 3.) There's no clock ticking on Ben Bishop's time in TB. He came through big-time in these playoffs and proved he's a guy you can win a cup with. Those aren't easy to find.

Yeah Bishop isn't going anywhere, unless the Lightning really tank the 2017 season, he'll be playing out his contract.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Highest priorities to move are Sustr and Carle. Carle is extremely overpaid. Move him before we need the cap room. Absolutely zero reason to keep him past the summer. Sustr has been pretty bad but even if he hadn't been terrible there's a logjam on the right and he needs to go. He's not better than Nesterov let alone the really great prospects we'll have coming up pretty soon.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
In the midst of the Carle/Sustr talk,

how about we get some help on the god damn powerplay, one of the top reasons we went out this series.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
My thoughts on the matter.

I know Sustr's not a popular guy right now, but he definitely has value so I can't see Yzerman not extending an offer to him being a RFA. Whether Yzerman trades him is another question, but letting him go from free, I don't see that happening. He's 24, he's 6'8'' but skates well,, yata yata, all the good things we saw in him to begin with, and he was a regular top 6 dman on a team that went to the SCFs. He's got value.

The only other thing from your post is Corrente was loaned to another AHL team during the year, so there's about 0 chance he gets re-signed. I also think Cote comes back. I think the organization really values what he, Angelidis, and Neilson do as player coaches on and off the ice.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I know Sustr's not a popular guy right now, but he definitely has value so I can't see Yzerman not extending an offer to him being a RFA. Whether Yzerman trades him is another question, but letting him go from free, I don't see that happening. He's 24, he's 6'8'' but skates well,, yata yata, all the good things we saw in him to begin with, and he was a regular top 6 dman on a team that went to the SCFs. He's got value.

The only other thing from your post is Corrente was loaned to another AHL team during the year, so there's about 0 chance he gets re-signed. I also think Cote comes back. I think the organization really values what he, Angelidis, and Neilson do as player coaches on and off the ice.

We'll know the plan with Sustr by July 1. If we're not in the market for a RHD, he's here for the year. IMO, that'll be the case. I think the organization is higher on him than most of us here, including myself.

I hope we find a way to move Carle, but I don't see how it can happen without a bad contract coming back. Maybe something like Carle for Marleau, who's no longer worth his contract either, but could maybe use a change of scenery. Not sure Carle would waive for SJ just now though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad