The 2014-2015 Blues Discussion Thread - Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Blues now have quite the diverse roster.

9 Canadians
5 Swedes
6 Americans
A Finn, a Czech, and a Russian

Including 2 half and halfs (Reaves and Steen) and 1 three-way (Stastny)

9 NCAA players.

Who are the other two Americans besides Shatty, Backes, Oshie and Staz?

Also, we have two Czechs with Jaskin (and another halfie because he's Russian too) .

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Who are the other two Americans besides Shatty, Backes, Oshie and Staz?

Also, we have two Czechs with Jaskin (and another halfie because he's Russian too) .

I thought Jaskin was born in Russia?

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Backes is signed through 2015-16 at 4.5 mill per yr. I would like to see him extended for another 2 yrs. Think adding 2 yrs for 5 mill in 2016 and 5.5 in 2017 would get it done?

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I'm actually going to add a Stastny jersey to my collection but I'm waiting to see if we change jerseys first.

I'll buy a Stas shirt immediately when they're available and wait for some more jersey news before I invest in that.

I was planning on grabbing a Stas and a Tarasenko jersey when we announce our new ones. One home and one away of course.

Meatwagon

Blues=Overrated
Nov 15, 2010
Bi-polar Express
Backes is signed through 2015-16 at 4.5 mill per yr. I would like to see him extended for another 2 yrs. Think adding 2 yrs for 5 mill in 2016 and 5.5 in 2017 would get it done?

I really doubt it. I think it would take at least 6 mil. He is our captain and most valuable forward. And at 6, that would probably be a nice hometown discount.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Really? So Backes is a U.F.A after this season? If so I would say that an extension is a huge priority for Armstrong. At least 2 more years, and A.S.A.P.!

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Really? So Backes is a U.F.A after this season? If so I would say that an extension is a huge priority for Armstrong. At least 2 more years, and A.S.A.P.!

No, the following season. He's signed for 2 more years. That's why I'd like to see another 2 yrs added at 5 and 5.5 mill. I wonder if he'd do that?

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I really doubt it. I think it would take at least 6 mil. He is our captain and most valuable forward. And at 6, that would probably be a nice hometown discount.

Yeah, I think you're right. I think I'd do that too. Hopefully they can fit that in the payroll by then.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
No, the following season. He's signed for 2 more years. That's why I'd like to see another 2 yrs added at 5 and 5.5 mill. I wonder if he'd do that?

Sorry, I read that wrong. My bad.

Meatwagon

Blues=Overrated
Nov 15, 2010
Bi-polar Express
Yeah, I think you're right. I think I'd do that too. Hopefully they can fit that in the payroll by then.

My concern with Backes is that he will be 32 at the end of his current deal and he has put some hard miles on his body. I would be worried to give him anything more than 4 years.

If they offered him 4 yrs @ 25 mil, I think he would take that?

Although what are we paying him to be at that point? He would still be the captain, but he would probably be a 2nd/3rd line winger. Could we really afford to pay that slot 6 mil a year? I don't know. I think if he plays a lights out wing on Stastny's line and puts up 35 goals and 60 pts for the next 2 years and stays injury free(can't predict concussions or cheap shots), then he MAY be worth it. Moving him to wing would eliminate some of the wear and tear on his body hopefully giving him and extra year or two of high end production.

It's a tough call, glad I don't have to make it.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
My concern with Backes is that he will be 32 at the end of his current deal and he has put some hard miles on his body. I would be worried to give him anything more than 4 years.

If they offered him 4 yrs @ 25 mil, I think he would take that?

Although what are we paying him to be at that point? He would still be the captain, but he would probably be a 2nd/3rd line winger. Could we really afford to pay that slot 6 mil a year? I don't know. I think if he plays a lights out wing on Stastny's line and puts up 35 goals and 60 pts for the next 2 years and stays injury free(can't predict concussions or cheap shots), then he MAY be worth it. Moving him to wing would eliminate some of the wear and tear on his body hopefully giving him and extra year or two of high end production.

It's a tough call, glad I don't have to make it.

Yeah, I hear ya. It's going to be a difficult situation. That's why I was thinking about a 2 yr extension. He probably won''t do it though. At 32, seems he would want more years before he declines too fast.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
THIS IS SO AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I literally cannot believe how fortunate we've been in the last week. Everything went right at the Draft, and now we've landed not only OPTION A!!!!! but also a really solid Option B/C.

MAN, I am so pumped. I've been at work all day, but I've been checking in here frequently. The Lethera signing came out of nowhere really, but I'm glad we got him. We've basically gotten three really skilled players (Lindstrom, Lethera, Stastny) for free this off-season. That's a total coup. Sure, the international guys probably need some time to adjust, but that's a hell of a lot more skill then we've had over the last couple of years. Mix that with our really solid draft, and Army has pulled a total 180 compared to last year.

I still can't believe we got Stastny. For only 4 years too, that's just awesome.

I'm imagining a couple of scenarios:

Steen-Backes-Oshie
Schwartz-Stastny-Tarasenko
Berglund-Lethera-Lindstrom
Sobotka-Lapierre-Reaves

MPS/Porter in the pressbox, with Jaskin and Rattie as primary call-ups. I'd like to keep getting Jaskin games in the AHL vs. pressbox time if he's not in the line-up as a regular. Sobotka goes back to his super-sub ways, slotting up frequently with all lines and all situations, and probably being the forward with like the 5th most ice time lol.

OR:

Steen-Stastny-Backes
Schwartz-Lethera-Tarasenko
Berglund-Sobotka-Oshie
MPS-Lapierre-Reaves

Porter/Lindstrom in the pressbox or in that 4th line LW spot. Jaskin/Rattie again in the AHL.

First thing that jumps out? Wow does that top 9 look downright frightening to play against! If Lethera can step in from day one as a top 6 center, while rekindling his chemistry with Tarasenko and fitting with Schwartz, that's just filthy. Berglund-Sobotka-Oshie would be a terror on the forecheck and in puck possession in general. I think Oshie and Sobotka shouldering a lot more of the defensive/puck possession load should help Berglund find his scoring touch again. Our top line would be pretty awesome too. A little slow, imo, but still pretty great, and not sacrificing anything in terms of defense to the SOB line. MPS-Lapierre-Reaves would be a dominant 4th line. Good speed with Reaves and especially MPS, with Lapierre being the defensive anchor. I could see that line doing serious work forechecking as well, with MPS' speed creating turnovers, and Reaves hitting making defensemen hate their life.

Either way though, I'm sure we're going to see about a billion combos, especially if Jaskin and Rattie can really start pushing for spots as well. Our team depth is FINALLY at a point where we're super deep, but also super skilled.

Man the season can't come soon enough!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad