Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
This is what I wrote on the Blues on the Flames board

Why They'll Win
They are built for the playoffs. They come hard on the forcheck and make teams work for the breakout and they come hard on the backcheck. They grind teams out. Their depth is very good. Whenthe game is on the line you can got to 6 options. They run all four lines which is what you need. They have elite defense and goaltending. Miller has been stellar since joing the Blues. He's bailed out the very good D a few times. He's been in a deep run a few times as well. JayBo and Pieterangleo are IMO the best D pair in the NHL. Shattenkirk was one of USA's best defenseman. And their depth defenseman are very good as well. Leopold, Jackman, Polak, Cole, Colaiacovo. In close games they're very good also. In 1 goal games their 22-12, tied after two periods their 13-5 and in OT their 11-7.

Why They'll Lose
If they play Dallas,in the first round they might be in trouble. Dallas is a gery fast team. St Louis doesn't handle speed that well. Most teams are starting ti get on a roll before heading to the playoffs. Well, the top teams. St Louis isn't. They're trending down. If they play Minny or the Yotes then they could sweep them or finish in 5. They should beat Dallas but go deeper in 6 or 7. Blues have depth but they don't have that one superstar like a Toews or a Kopitar. One probably will emerge but if one doesn't that could be a problem. The one other problem is that Taresenko, one of their best forwards is out for at least the first round.

sh724

Jun 2, 2009
Missouri
So does that mean Game 2 on Saturday? Man I hope so, as that would be ideal for my travel plans.

I am hoping its Saturday bc I have tickets for game 2, but idk for sure the guy I talked to is performing at the pep rally Thursday so that is the only game he was told about.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
For the business side of things, our attendance was 17,025 per game this season, down by 238 per game from last season, but with the significant raises in ticket prices, revenues increased, and that's the important thing. This ownership can go back to gradual increases now that they are close to competitive pricing. Based on the outside looking in and judging from certain indicators, the financial condition of the club has drastically improved and is likely at a stable level or nearing a stable level. Advancing to the 2nd round will probably solidify stability and getting to the 3rd round will allow us to be a cap team for the next season or 2 IMO.

JustOneB4IDie

Duel Cancer Survivor
Jan 31, 2011
Imperial, Missouri
For the business side of things, our attendance was 17,025 per game this season, down by 238 per game from last season, but with the significant raises in ticket prices, revenues increased, and that's the important thing. This ownership can go back to gradual increases now that they are close to competitive pricing. Based on the outside looking in and judging from certain indicators, the financial condition of the club has drastically improved and is likely at a stable level or nearing a stable level. Advancing to the 2nd round will probably solidify stability and getting to the 3rd round will allow us to be a cap team for the next season or 2 IMO.

That would be great to advance, however with our injured core of players and no difference makers on offense this playoff season I doubt it happens, I hope I'm wrong but we will see soon enough.

Chojin

Tiny Panger...
Apr 6, 2011
I hope this post-season (and the last) finally show Army that Porter and Cracknell should be up with the Blues full-time. Don't need to re-sign Morrow, IMO, even though he's been good for the money.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I hope this post-season (and the last) finally show Army that Porter and Cracknell should be up with the Blues full-time. Don't need to re-sign Morrow, IMO, even though he's been good for the money.

If they play like this all the time then yes. But Porter was actually pretty poor to start the year. That's why Cracknell stayed up over him.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas

But you couldn't store Morrow in the AHL. I see posts like this frequently, and they seem to be analyzing the healthy roster and ignore the loss of depth.

And remember Porter couldn't beat out Cracknell out of camp.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011

Last year, when we signed Cracknell, Armstrong said that he couldn't have imagined giving Cracknell a 1-way contract just a couple of months prior. I expect he'll be feeling similar after this season. I'd be shocked if Porter and Cracknell aren't both on the roster opening day next season.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Not enough, and not surprised. Just another example on why the NHL is a garage league.

I think it's enough. That's 3 playoff games for a first time offender. I don't see how you could have expected more. If they were meaningless regular season games then I would agree. 3 playoff games is a big deal.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I think it's enough. That's 3 playoff games for a first time offender. I don't see how you could have expected more. If they were meaningless regular season games then I would agree. 3 playoff games is a big deal.
Especially for a key player. Not that I'm advocating a different punishment for stars and non stars. This will hurt chicago where it hurts. Their defense is already somewhat boo boo

JustOneB4IDie

Duel Cancer Survivor
Jan 31, 2011
Imperial, Missouri
First time offender? Yeah right, whatever. That's what's wrong with the whole system. Longer suspensions for offenders who have a history of suspensions and first time offenders get only 2,3 games? Bull****. The rule should be as long as ANY ONE who targets the head sits out as long as the player who suffers a concussion, its that simple, what a concept. But it will never happen since the Overlords of the NHL could care less. That hit of Seabrook on our captain makes and Keith Taunts “Wakey Wakey” at dazed David Backes after Illegal Hit makes my blood boil.

Last edited:

Felix

May 16, 2003
Lviv/Ukraine
Visit site
Watching the team during regular season (espesially second part) + playoffs I came to conclusion that in order to be constant cup contender we need:
1. 1 and 2 line C (and move Backes to RW)
Of course Backes can be left at C but to get another C for Tank anf JS is of crucial importance
2. to make our D tougher and meaner (yes, I suggest to review our D completely) because the current group is to soft. We rely to much on Petro, Shatty and JBo but it works in regular season - in post season their softness becomes to evident and hurts the team.

Basically I think that if this team advances 1 or two rounds this year - we'll have "lite" approach - we'll go for N 2C and that's it
In case we loose to Hawks - I want to belive that management undertakes more radical approach by overhauling the roster (I mean even by trading some untouchables to make the team better)

Personally, I think that in case Stastny signs with Avs - then we have no option for C position - and the only option remains - to trade for that C. Don't kill me, but I'd consider moving Petro for an elite N 1C. In such case our F group would immediately be on level with top offensice clubs (JS - elite C- Tank, Steen-Backes-Oshie). The d would not suffer big time wwith JBo and Shatty as or 1 and 2 pair anchors + we'll have to add big mobile D to play with JBo.

Discuss.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I don't think people appreciate just how good Backes is. He isn't a prototypical #1C, but he is a first line quality centre. I'm comfortable that he'll put up more points 5-on-5 against an opposition top line, and that is all we can ask for really.

It is our second line centre where we badly suffer. Stastny is perfect for this team in almost every respect, but the more success he has in the playoffs then the more likely the Avs extend him. More reason to hope Minnesota can shut them down over the next 2 games. Other options? Difficult to know who is available. Kadri might be "cheap" compared to his upside, but personality is going to be important for acquisitions (defensive side as well). It is a situation where we'll know all the names on the market by draft day and there are some we probably aren't even considering at the moment.

Our defense is interesting. Pietrangelo isn't the most physical, but the situation isn't being helped because he is clearly carrying an injury. It would be nice if he was a little meaner, but I don't understand how we can be in a position where we are complaining about having Team Canada's best defensive pairing on our team.

More grit is absolutely needed, but it's acceptable enough to have that on the second and third pairings. I like Jackman, but we should be viewing him as a third pairing defenseman at this point, but then not with Polák.

Who would be available that has the toughness we want on the second pairing? Would we be happy with...

Bouwmeester - Pietrangelo
??????? - Shattenkirk
Jackman - Cole

superblues

:sarcasm: implied
Oct 29, 2011
In case we loose to Hawks - I want to belive that management undertakes more radical approach by overhauling the roster (I mean even by trading some untouchables to make the team better)

Personally, I think that in case Stastny signs with Avs - then we have no option for C position - and the only option remains - to trade for that C. Don't kill me, but I'd consider moving Petro for an elite N 1C. In such case our F group would immediately be on level with top offensice clubs (JS - elite C- Tank, Steen-Backes-Oshie). The d would not suffer big time wwith JBo and Shatty as or 1 and 2 pair anchors + we'll have to add big mobile D to play with JBo.

Discuss.

I don't foresee the radical overhaul that you do, regardless of the outcome of the first round. IMO, the probability of seeing Petro traded is so small that it's moot. I remember the EJ trade. We're not even in vicinity of a deal like that. We're in the "strategic acquisition" stage of the game, not the "radical overhaul."

I disagree with your point that the d wouldn't suffer without Petro. I think our d would suffer significantly, even if we acquired a big, mobile replacement for him because we'd lose Petro's ability to move the puck. I'll concede that Petro's offense has been suffering recently, but I don't expect that trend to continue forever.

If this series has taught me anything, it's that Shatty is still too inconsistent for me to consider him a defensive anchor. If we're talking trades, I see Shatty being moved far sooner than Petro, but only for the right piece coming back.

Last edited:

Felix

May 16, 2003
Lviv/Ukraine
Visit site
I don't foresee the radical overhaul that you do, regardless of the outcome of the first round. IMO, the probability of seeing Petro traded is so small that it's moot. I remember the EJ trade. We're not even in vicinity of a deal like that. We're in the "strategic acquisition" stage of the game, not the "radical overhaul."

I disagree with your point that the d wouldn't suffer without Petro. I think our d would suffer significantly, even if we acquired a big, mobile replacement for him because we'd lose Petro's ability to move the puck. I'll concede that Petro's offense has been suffering recently, but I don't expect that trend to continue forever.

If this series has taught me anything, it's that Shatty is still too inconsistent for me to consider him a defensive anchor. If we're talking trades, I see Shatty being moved far sooner than Petro, but only for the right piece coming back.
I agree with your point on Shatty. It's really way moreallistically scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad