The 2013 Double-A Draft (sign-up & discussion)

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
There seems to be at least eight of us who have been indicated as able to join the Double-A draft. Ideally we will have twelve but anything at or above a half dozen makes it worthwhile.

Post your team name.

(And of course, meet your AAA 2013 responsibilities and vote in the upcoming second round of the playoffs and beyond.)

VanIslander - Marquette Prison Pirates
tony d - Erie Panthers
chaosrevolver - Quinte Red Devils
ted1971 - Danville Dashers
ResilientBeast - Edmonton Oil Kings
BubbaBoot - Boston AA Unicorns
Hedberg - Lindsay Muskies
Hobnobs - Raoul Le Mats Swedish Vikings
seventieslord - TBA
Rob Scuderi - TBA

Last edited:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I will manage the Marquette Prison Pirates, who played the Detroit Red Wings in an epic 1950's game of inmates vs. NHLers outside in a correctional facility.

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I'm in.

As usual, I see no need to rush so I'd say to start after the AAA is off the table, or at least the day voting is opened in the finals or something.

In accordance with my "no need to rush" mentality, I must also ask, why is there a need to make two picks a day at any point in the draft? You talk about the possibility of mandatory bios in the ATD (which is admirable in its intent) but you don't seem intent on giving GMs the time to actually do that in the lower drafts. If this was a 12 or 18 day draft, there's just no way guys like Rob scuderi and I could do the kind of research and bios we did in this year's AAA and MLD.

What's the rush?

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I'm in as the Erie Panthers

EriePanthersOriginalLogo.GIF

I'm up for starting whenever but prefer December 20th and do 2 picks a day. That way the AAA draft would more than likely be clueing up. also Christmas is busy for me but not busy enough that I won't be online and able to make 2 picks a day.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
If it's the December 20th date I can do it. Otherwise, I can't.

Been crazy busy as it is and the other date just won't work for that.

If we do the later date I will name my team Quinte Red Devils

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
why is there a need to make two picks a day at any point in the draft?
It has worked well in the past for the Double-A Draft, to get one more draft in before the year ends. It's basically an extension of the concept of double rounds used in the main ATDs. The pace is good, and frankly, there simply isn't much time left in the year when we have held the Double-A Draft.

You talk about the possibility of mandatory bios in the ATD (which is admirable in its intent) but you don't seem intent on giving GMs the time to actually do that in the lower drafts. If this was a 12 or 18 day draft, there's just no way guys like Rob Scuderi and I could do the kind of research and bios we did in this year's AAA and MLD.
That's true. But you could do one big bio a day, pick and choose which players really deserve a full bio (ought to have been picked in the AAA) and lesser profile for the next-best selections.

What's the rush?
1. The year is ending and it is best to finish the year's drafts in the year.
2. The ATD will be kicking off mid-January and it would be nice to have two weeks between the end of the Double-A Draft and the beginning of the ATD, whether that be used to rest or Double-A Draft playoffs.
3. My work contract ends December 29th and I will have to leave this country if my paperwork doesn't arrive from Canada by then (gov't bureaucrats seem to have misplaced it). There's a real chance I will be travelling in early January. Of course this third last reason is minor because I don't have to be in the draft (or better: I could simply co-GM a team) if delaying the draft through the new year is the wish of the majority.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
It has worked well in the past for the Double-A Draft, to get one more draft in before the year ends. It's basically an extension of the concept of double rounds used in the main ATDs. The pace is good, and frankly, there simply isn't much time left in the year when we have held the Double-A Draft.

That's true. But you could do one big bio a day, pick and choose which players really deserve a full bio (ought to have been picked in the AAA) and lesser profile for the next-best selections.

1. The year is ending and it is best to finish the year's drafts in the year.
2. The ATD will be kicking off mid-January and it would be nice to have two weeks between the end of the Double-A Draft and the beginning of the ATD, whether that be used to rest or Double-A Draft playoffs.
3. My work contract ends December 29th and I will have to leave this country if my paperwork doesn't arrive from Canada by then (gov't bureaucrats seem to have misplaced it). There's a real chance I will be travelling in early January. Of course this third last reason is minor because I don't have to be in the draft (or better: I could simply co-GM a team) if delaying the draft through the new year is the wish of the majority.

hmm. I don't think reason #1 is compelling at all. Reason 2 is legit and reason 3 is.... more personal.

I don't find any of those reasons as compelling as the interest in more thorough research and bios... but considering the votes apparently no one else sees it being a problem. Which, maybe, IS a problem. :(

I'll have my people contact your people. Maybe we can work something out.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I think it definitely should be... in fact, we might want to make it three days off (24th to 26th). And the 31st and 1st might be a good idea as well.

Which makes maybe starting next Friday, the 13th, a better option if we hope to get the draft finished by the end of the year.

The off days don't bother me as I'll still be around to make my picks even with a break but as usual I'll be happy with what the majority decides.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
On second thought, I'll try my best in what looks to be at least a 10-team Double-A Draft!!!!

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I may have to cross the Pacific Ocean a couple of times in the coming weeks, with anywhere from one week to three weeks away from regular computer access.:(

Well with a draft this short, this kinda kills it.

If you're interested in some heavy discussion on the framework for a team before that happens... I'm still game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad