Pre-Game Talk: The 2013-2014 Training Camp/Preseason Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richter Scale

Aug 4, 2012
oh no. I'm just being tortured by this process :laugh:. Good on Glen for doing what he's doing, I haven't been following the Rangers since the beginning of time AKA Glen's entire tenure and so I'm quite okay with Glen. I'm just making the point that his bipolar RFA stingy and UFA giveaway makes for a unbalance recipe when taken together.

Fair enough. :) Misinterpreted you then. Aside from being okay with Glen (in general), we agree.

Boom Boom Geoffrion*

Who says I am not a Rangers fan? Weird.

I know they;'re two different cases here...but him overpaying for that granny shows how OTL Slats.

Pay the man already.

I don't think you're a Rangers fan.

If you know they're different, then you wouldn't be asking foolish questions.

I'm sure they are trying to pay him. Maybe he wants more than he feels he's worth.

Hell, I think I'm worth more than what I'm paid. Maybe if I try sitting out my boss will give me a raise. :dunce:

bishop12

Ovyously
Dec 1, 2006
What have they been waiting for, then?

I doubt they want to give up their picks, which should be real good.
They won't do it..bit if a team jumped in there to do it...it would put the Rangers in a bad spot. Called risk management.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
If that has been Sather's plan all along, and he has some sort of "out" lined up in the unlikely scenario that Stepan gets offer sheeted, then I don't see this as the awful GM decision that it seems some would make it out to be.

That's sort of my point of contention though, if he has an out why wouldn't that have been the "plan" all along instead of coming up with this other "plan" in the first place?

Why would they even consider letting it get to the point of an offer sheet allowing another team to set the terms of the deal which would also most likely makes it difficult for negotiations going forward on his next deal?

Not saying I know anything, for all I know the Rangers offered Stepan something reasonable on a longer term deal and he turned it down, but if the plan is something like, I have leverage so I'm just going to sit on it, it's a crappy plan.

Boom Boom Geoffrion*

They won't do it..bit if a team jumped in there to do it...it would put the Rangers in a bad spot. Called risk management.

If they won't do it then why bother suggesting it as a possible scenario?

*Bob Richards*

This could be rinsed and repeated for every player in the history of RFA's. How many teams actually do it?

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Who says I am not a Rangers fan? Weird.

I know they;'re two different cases here...but him overpaying for that granny shows how OTL Slats.

Pay the man already.

You're basing your opinion off of Glen instead of the situation at hand. Richards was worth every dollar during 11-12. He had a bad season because he's out of shape, he's been throw under the bus, everyone is ready to get over it.

I think "pay the man already" was applied to yesterday's highlight signing.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Fair enough. :) Misinterpreted you then. Aside from being okay with Glen (in general), we agree.

A decisive GM at least does things instead of stand still and let the situation force their hand and the franchise. That said, like a crazy uncle that lives in your basement, it's getting close....

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
People are quick to throw Glen's name around but isn't Gorton in charge of pretty much all negotiations at this point?

Richter Scale

Aug 4, 2012
That's sort of my point of contention though, if he has an out why wouldn't that have been the "plan" all along instead of coming up with this other "plan" in the first place?

Why would they even consider letting it get to the point of an offer sheet allowing another team to set the terms of the deal which would also most likely makes it difficult for negotiations going forward on his next deal?

Not saying I know anything, for all I know the Rangers offered Stepan something reasonable on a longer term deal and he turned it down, but if the plan is something like, I have leverage so I'm just going to sit on it, it's a crappy plan.

I'm not saying he has an out. But to answer your question...

Why should that be the plan? The goal is to get Stepan as cheap as you can get him (as with any player). Step has virtually no leverage, why give him any more? Have the out in case you need it - but why use it until your hand is forced?

Yes, you give up control over the terms of the contract in the case of an offer sheet; but its not an incredibly likely scenario and I'm sure that the likelihood and risk/reward has been taken into account.

They have something like 18 contracts up next season and will have some trouble fitting many of those contracts in under the cap as it currently stands even if you assume Richie is bought out. No need to make life even harder in the future by giving Stepan more than you need to now.

Last edited:

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
People are quick to throw Glen's name around but isn't Gorton in charge of pretty much all negotiations at this point?

I keep using Glen & co but i gave up after a while. I'd reckon all the game plan (certainly most applicable with this battle of attrition) is not without Glen's input and approval.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
Only for things we like.

Everything else is Sather's fault :sarcasm:

Kind of what I am seeing, lol.

I keep using Glen & co but i gave up after a while. I'd reckon all the game plan (certainly most applicable with this battle of attrition) is not without Glen's input and approval.

I am sure he has input, but if his cap guy and Gorton know they can give a little to Stepan's demands and still field a complete roster they probably do it. "I'd rather ask forgiveness than permission." type of thing.

16 To Stanley*

And what is the Flames sign Steps to a big deal? What then?

Why go after Stepan when Kadri is out there, or even better, Pietrangelo.

If i'm calgary and i'm thinking of offer sheeting something not worth matching than I go for the big dog in AP.

And while i wouldn't be happy at losing stepan, if we get back multiple picks, including a top 5, instead of giving in to a 5.5-6.5 million term over 5-8 years, for a still unproven stepan, i'd be understanding.

The kid is an important cog in our current team and future, but overpaying him after a half seasno where he played well would be a huge mistake

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Changing gears a little bit here. Lindberg looked great at traverse city, whats the chance that he would make the team out of camp as a winger considering we are pretty jam packed down the middle?

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
i dont get Stepan here.........other guys are signing bridge deals. 2 yrs 3 million is fair, if hes being offered that then hes being greedy...........the team doesn't have that much cap space its that simple so he cant get a long term deal till a few yrs from now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad