The 1980s in Vancouver: The Dark Ages (CBC VIDEO)

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Quite a few good players passed though here, but a string of apocalyptically bad GMs and coaches squandered them away.

Rick Vaive (50G) - Patrik Sundstrom (35G) - Tony Tanti (40G)
Petri Skriko (40G) - Thomas Gradin (35G) - Cam Neely (35G)
Stan Smyl (30G) - Dirk Graham (Selke winner 1991) - Darcy Rota (30G)

Last edited:

skeena1

May 15, 2006
Woah, blast from the past.

Did CBC do any more for the 90's or 00's?

The clip is from a show called NHL Breakaway that only ran for a few years in the late 80's / early 90's. It was on right before the Hockey Night game on Saturday.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Growing up a Jets fan, the 80's were as inconsistent than a bag of chips...

One year good, one year bad and the next miss the playoffs..

The "how the **** do we beat Edmonton" mantra ruined the 80's Jets...out carosel of head coaches was like a revolving door

tattooedsean

Hockey Maniac!
May 16, 2012
Arizona
I am getting old as I can't remember as much now but I remember being in the army stationed in Europe watching game 7 vs the Flames when they had finished so far ahead in regular season and Vancouver came so close to pulling out that series falling short in OT. :shakehead

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Growing up a Jets fan, the 80's were as inconsistent than a bag of chips...

One year good, one year bad and the next miss the playoffs..

The "how the **** do we beat Edmonton" mantra ruined the 80's Jets...out carosel of head coaches was like a revolving door

"As inconsistent as a bag of chips..."

is that saying also from the 80ies... because bags of chips seem to be consistent to me... always crisp out of the packet and never once have I had a chip that has a different seasoning as the rest in the pack.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
I am dog, cupcakes are 1980's Canucks...

1243594993_cupcakedog-war-flashbacks.gif

keslerbomb

Dec 13, 2011
Victoria
The games were a lot more fun to go to back then. The crowd wasn't filled with pieces of yaletown garbage, and your eyes weren't blasted with advertising from every possible surface at every moment.

Quite a few good players passed though here, but a string of apocalyptically bad GMs and coaches squandered them away.

What's your problem with people from yaletown?

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
The Canucks made the playoffs with a < .500 record and still managed to only play teams worse than them until the final. How that is even possible I have no idea.

"Miracle on Manchester" helped...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_on_Manchester

A few "upsets" to say the least that playoff year. Even the Islanders were almost upset that year - too bad for us unfortunately.

Still....even thought the Canucks had less than a .500 record, going into the playoffs; they were one of the hottest teams in the league after this unforgetable moment in Canucks history:

A odd set of circumstances almost led to a storybook ending.....

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
.In the 80s their regular to pts scorers were Gradin,Smyl,Sundrom,Skriko,and Quinn.
Are you talking about Dan Quinn? He wasn't acquired until 1990 and didn't even play a full season on the Canucks. :huh:

It was a decade that saw us trade away Rick Vaive, Bill Derlego, Cam Neely, Harold Snepts, Tiger Williams and Ivan Boldirev in lobsided losing trades.
So that was also 1990, and he retired very shortly thereafter. If it was lopsided, it was in Vancouver's favor, as they got a first-rounder in the 1990 draft -- probably one of the top-three drafts of all time. (They blew it on Shawn Antoski, of course).

Also, considering that Tiger Williams was traded away for two of the other guys on your list (Vaive and Derlago) that couldn't have been a bad trade either.

Blob Mckenzie*

Maybe he meant the first Snepsts trade where he was given away for a scrub in Al Macadam. Williams was acquired for Derlago and Vaive in a putrid trade by Vancouver. Williams was then ditched for Rob Mclanahan ( I think ) in a nothing trade .

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Williams was acquired for Derlago and Vaive in a putrid trade by Vancouver. Williams was then ditched for Rob Mclanahan ( I think ) in a nothing trade .
But we also got another player in that deal.

Who can forget the great Jerry "The Shadow" Butler!:sarcasm:

Seriously though, "The Shadow" did manage to shut-down some key forwards during the regular season in that 1982 year. It was either Gretzky or Dionne who often would chirp at the Canucks bench when they got on the ice to Butler "you comming along or do I have to wait for you?":laugh: Butler's job was to "shadow" those guys - and he did that task pretty well.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
So that was also 1990, and he retired very shortly thereafter. If it was lopsided, it was in Vancouver's favor, as they got a first-rounder in the 1990 draft -- probably one of the top-three drafts of all time. (They blew it on Shawn Antoski, of course).

Heh.

You think our team history might be a bit different if we'd taken Martin Brodeur (taken two picks later.)

Blob Mckenzie*

But we also got another player in that deal.

Who can forget the great Jerry "The Shadow" Butler!:sarcasm:

Seriously though, "The Shadow" did manage to shut-down some key forwards during the regular season in that 1982 year. It was either Gretzky or Dionne who often would chirp at the Canucks bench when they got on the ice to Butler "you comming along or do I have to wait for you?":laugh: Butler's job was to "shadow" those guys - and he did that task pretty well.

Lol Jerry Butt Hair . That trade paid quick dividends but after a couple years it looked like a good old fashioned a$$ ramming.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad