The 1980s in Vancouver: The Dark Ages (CBC VIDEO)

JA

I recently discovered this CBC recap from 1990 of the Vancouver Canucks' darkest decade (1980-1989). I thought I'd share. The feature is narrated by Barry Macdonald with an introduction from Steve Armitage. Enjoy.

thom

Mar 6, 2012
Vancouver were 30w33l and 17t for 77 pts-leading scorer was Thomas Gradin with 86 pts-that was the year the talented Oilers lost to Kings in play-offs.In the 80s their regular to pts scorers were Gradin,Smyl,Sundrom,Skriko,and Quinn.There top goal scorers were tiger Williams with 35 in 80-81,Gradin,Rota,Tanti led team 5 times in goals,Lindin and Skriko had 30 in 88-89 and Adams had 30 in 89-90.1984-85 team were 25-49-9 and got outscored 401-284.By dec3,they were 4-21-2 and opponents quit taking them seriously.King Richard had a 4.67 GAA.Laforge and Neale were coaches.Team featured Cam Neely who would later be traded to Bruins a move that doomed the team for many years

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
At one point the fans cheered for Albert! HAH! That sounds like something we'd do today.

I wish they hadn't let go of Roger Neilson. Complete dummies in that management office.

vT8FN9m.jpg

8IsPl7K.jpg

4caWzD0.jpg

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
the 80's were so bad i remember the canucks skated out to 'freeze frame' by the j geils band for warmups during the cup run.

omg, that's all i think of whenever i hear that song. and now you will too :laugh:

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
In those days the Canucks staff had nameplates on the door of their office. They used a first initial format. So, Quinn's was P. Quinn. Same format for Watt.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
Seeing Frank Caprice being lit up by Gretzky and Co. will haunt my dreams until the day I die.

Gretzky and his damned landmark goals vs. the Canucks.
-first NHL goal
-50th hattrick
-500th goal
-802nd goal (breaking Howe's record)

Never mind the Oilers' had a 30+ game winning streak against the Canucks in the 80s.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
It was a decade that saw us trade away Rick Vaive, Bill Derlego, Cam Neely, Harold Snepts, Tiger Williams and Ivan Boldirev in lobsided losing trades. We also allowed Thomas Gradin to leave a a free agent (because we had acquired Barry Pederson in the Cam Neely trade) and hired possibly the worst coach in NHL history in Bill LaForge.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
It was a decade that saw us trade away Rick Vaive, Bill Derlego, Cam Neely, Harold Snepts, Tiger Williams and Ivan Boldirev in lobsided losing trades. We also allowed Thomas Gradin to leave a a free agent (because we had acquired Barry Pederson in the Cam Neely trade) and hired possibly the worst coach in NHL history in Bill LaForge.

Surprised no one clocked LaForge. His gauntlet exercise was so stupid.

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
The games were a lot more fun to go to back then. The crowd wasn't filled with pieces of yaletown garbage, and your eyes weren't blasted with advertising from every possible surface at every moment.

Quite a few good players passed though here, but a string of apocalyptically bad GMs and coaches squandered them away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad