The 12th forward (winger)

DarkSaturn

Sep 10, 2008
Cause players can't improve....

He does admittedly have a bit of a problem with Isbister syndrome, wherein his best games are so much more dynamic than this average games. Might be a bit of a conditioning problem, that the season drags on him.

Regardless, if he tails off then swap him for whoever is performing in OKC. Obviously waiver considerations come into play, but not sure there are a bunch of GM's out there just waiting for a chance to steal one of the Oilers potential 12th forwards...

RebuildTheRebuild

Apr 27, 2013
When we picked up Gazdic off waivers there were apparently a handful of other teams that also put in a claim, but we had priority over them. I don't think Pitlick is better or atleast has demonstrated that he is better then what most teams would be icing on their 4th line RW, but I know he has been asked for in trades before, I recall Minnesota inquiring about him during the Clutterbuck trade and there was one other trade I can't fully recall where a team asked for him to be included.

I remember hearing about that. My question is what did teams see in him? I don't think he's all that good of player all honestly. I think Pinozotto is much better in Gazdic's spot because the play doesn't die on his stick. Gazdic is a good fighter but what else can he do?

DarkSaturn

Sep 10, 2008
I remember hearing about that. My question is what did teams see in him? I don't think he's all that good of player all honestly. I think Pinozotto is much better in Gazdic's spot because the play doesn't die on his stick. Gazdic is a good fighter but what else can he do?

Think he was advertised as being a decent hockey player for a heavyweight fighter. Sure if you compare him to a 4th liner he is terrible, but he's clearly better hockey player than say John Scott or MacIntyre....

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I put Gazdic. I'd love to see Pitlick make the team, and he seems to be a really good player for the pre season, but I have to go with the proven entity Gazdic. My mind could change once Gazdic is back, but I'm fairly sure he'll impress in his role.

Let Pitlick gain even more confidence in OKC and call him up when needed, or if Gaz falters.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Voted Gazdic, I agree he doesn't bring the same skill level as the other choices. But I think the team plays better when they know their butts are covered.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I put Gazdic. I'd love to see Pitlick make the team, and he seems to be a really good player for the pre season, but I have to go with the proven entity Gazdic. My mind could change once Gazdic is back, but I'm fairly sure he'll impress in his role.

Let Pitlick gain even more confidence in OKC and call him up when needed, or if Gaz falters.

Not if he gets claimed off waivers

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Not if he gets claimed off waivers

Yeah. I totally forgot about the waiver thing in my post (even though I did read the OP before posting).

If they can keep both Gaz and Pitlick up, that would be OK. We most likely lose a couple of these guys on waivers.

But that's a good sign for the depth of the organization I guess.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
I would keep Pitlick and Pinizzotto and platoon them against different opponents. When the other team has a heavyweight, or a guy known to take runs, put in Pinno, and when we play a softer team play Pitlick to provide some energy.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I was thinking something like:

Hall/RNH/Yakupov
Perron/Draisaitl/Eberle
Pouliot/Gordon/Purcell
Joenssu/Arcobello/Pitlick

Hendricks (press box)
Gazdic (press box)
Pinner can be first call up from AHL

That 4th line can forecheck the crap out of the other team and also has some offensive ability.

Last edited:

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
I would keep Pitlick and Pinizzotto and platoon them against different opponents. When the other team has a heavyweight, or a guy known to take runs, put in Pinno, and when we play a softer team play Pitlick to provide some energy.

Pinner is more of a middleweight than a heavy. I'd like to have Gaz as an option when he is needed against the anuses of the NHL. It's tough for me too though, Pinner has been playing great but Pitlick is so physical. I love watching him lay the body all the time. Tough call man.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
The way I look at the options I provided:

Arcobello- I have playing in one of the center holes so I don't personally see him playing on the wing.

Lander- Just plain ineffective in camp, I like him, but at this point he looks waiver wire bound.

Joensuu- I don't see what he actually provides to our roster, I know he's been scoring recently so he's seen a resurgence in popularity, but I see an inconsistent big man who provides no utility, he doesn't PK, he acts tough but never fights, and I don't think provides enough offense to make up for the lack of utility that he brings.

Pitlick- I see a proto-typical energy player, great speed, hits regularly, is a PK option, and enough skill to make a play and has some untapped potential. He's not even a consistent scoring threat in the AHL so I wouldn't expect anymore then 10 points out of him at the NHL level, he's also injury prone so he will often take himself out of the line-up.

Pinizzotto- I'm glad to see some people coming around on him, he has a surprising amount of skill for a quasi tough guy, it's very clear he knows his role and what is expected of him. He is a potent hitter, he can make a play, doesn't turn over the puck very much in my viewings, and will often make a smart dump when there is no easy play at the offensive blue line. The knocks on him would be at his age I see the guy we have right now as his ceiling and he can't PK, he's also not the nuclear deterrent that Gazdic is.

Gazdic- The best fighter we have, if he didn't fight there is no chance he would be playing in the NHL, but he's not totally useless. I'd say he is twice the hockey player that MacIntyre was and about 90% the fighter that he was.

All that said I'd take Pitlick as my 12th forward, he's the most versatile and I think the one that would hurt the most to lose, cause I could see him turning into a very useful 3rd/4th liner down the line with some maturation. I'd keep Gazdic as my 13th forward; I like Pinizzotto more then him, but I'm sure he can clear waivers where Gazdic I'm not so sure would, I'd send Pinizzotto down so he can play and remain in game shape for a call-up. Gazdic I'd have play somewhere in the neighborhood of 12-15 games a year as the situation dictates, at about 5 mins a night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad