The 10th Anniversary of The Hiring Of Tim Murray

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I’ve had the displeasure of dealing with him personally, and the fact that it took that long is what is surprising to me.

Pat is all about Pat. He doesn’t play well with others and will not hesitate to take his ball and go home.

I also don't understand (and this is not directed at your post, just building off of it) why a guy with no history of doing that job was given the job off a dinner with the owner and then people circle back to his departure as being a problem. Hiring him was the problem. Putting him in charge of hiring the GM that was looking at a different path forward is certainly on him too.

Loved Pat as a player but his tiny body of work as a franchise exec leaves a lot of chaos and no gain. He was another person who was inexperienced and not right for the job.

Reactions: SwordStanley10

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Trade Marcus Foligno away for a re-tread player like Pommer... you're gonna have a bad time...

Trade Scandella for a nickel and watch him flipped for a dime a month later...you're gonna have a bad time lol

which idiot did that again?

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
I also don't understand (and this is not directed at your post, just building off of it) why a guy with no history of doing that job was given the job off a dinner with the owner and then people circle back to his departure as being a problem. Hiring him was the problem. Putting him in charge of hiring the GM that was looking at a different path forward is certainly on him too.

Loved Pat as a player but his tiny body of work as a franchise exec leaves a lot of chaos and no gain. He was another person who was inexperienced and not right for the job.
I mean, I do think that LaFontaine's departure is part of why Murray worked out as poorly as he did. Murray wasn't hired to run the entire show, he was hired to work under LaFontaine, and when LaFontaine suddenly left, that left a huge hole that Murray wasn't able to fill. Bringing in LaFontaine the way that it happened was certainly a problem, but leaving that huge organizational hole after his departure was a much bigger problem.

Also I was under the impression that LaFontaine's ouster was due to conflicts between him and the Pegulas, not between him and Murray.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I mean, I do think that LaFontaine's departure is part of why Murray worked out as poorly as he did. Murray wasn't hired to run the entire show, he was hired to work under LaFontaine, and when LaFontaine suddenly left, that left a huge hole that Murray wasn't able to fill. Bringing in LaFontaine the way that it happened was certainly a problem, but leaving that huge organizational hole after his departure was a much bigger problem.

Also I was under the impression that LaFontaine's ouster was due to conflicts between him and the Pegulas, not between him and Murray.

Some have hinted at it being a conflict between Pat and Kim specifically - I've heard that, though with the addendum that some of it was because Pat was also at odds with Murray that lead to him and Kim not being on the same page.

I tend to agree that the lack of another hockey voice to shape what was going on with the team was a big missing of the Murray tenure. Pat was reportedly not in favor of shipping Miller off as part of the teardown and who knows, maybe that makes the rebuild even faster if they have a vet tender in place to backstop the collection Murray put together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad