Post-Game Talk: The 100 Year Drought - Avs 4 @ Canucks 1 | Who are we - really?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I guess I'm done watching for the rest of the regular season, since we already made the playoffs might as well not spend my time watching regular season hockey while I could be prepping my basement for playoff hockey.

Hockey still needs to be played, we're in a dog fight for a playoff spot and we just lost to COL. C'mon, its highly unlikely that we miss the playoffs...? It was highly unlikely that the Sens come back from a 14 pt deficit late in the season to momentarily take a playoff spot from the B's.

It's very possible that we miss the playoffs if we continue to play like we did for the first 40 tonight. There's no room for that type of effort this late in the season in such crucial games.

No need to be dramatic.Yes, anything can happen. Nobody is denying that.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
I guess I'm done watching for the rest of the regular season, since we already made the playoffs might as well not spend my time watching regular season hockey while I could be prepping my basement for playoff hockey.

Hockey still needs to be played, we're in a dog fight for a playoff spot and we just lost to COL. C'mon, its highly unlikely that we miss the playoffs...? It was highly unlikely that the Sens come back from a 14 pt deficit late in the season to momentarily take a playoff spot from the B's.

It's very possible that we miss the playoffs if we continue to play like we did for the first 40 tonight. There's no room for that type of effort this late in the season in such crucial games.

It's possible but not likely. Just because some other unlikely thing happened doesn't mean that any unlikely thing is now likely. Your neighbour winning the lottery doesn't impact your odds of winning one iota, but still it's unlikely and still it happens.

I would be willing to bet anyone here $100 that we make the playoffs.

Jun 15, 2014
Worst case scenario after Saturday is what? We're tied with the tiebreaker on our side and 7 games left?

Should probably commit mass suicide is that happens. No point in living at the point.

I love these arguments, the ones that ignore the reality of being tied with 7 games to go and only 1 pt out of a playoff spot. That's not a cushion LOL, that's a dog fight.

Here's hoping we win on Saturday so that doesn't happen.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012

No one is saying it's not possible. But the bottom line is we are at 94.2% right now. LA is 76% and Calgary 60%.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
these jerseys are nice but have been a curse. losing 3x already. bench sbisa. put stanton with kb3. outshot by the avs....

Jun 15, 2014
It's possible but not likely. Just because some other unlikely thing happened doesn't mean that any unlikely thing is now likely. Your neighbour winning the lottery doesn't impact your odds of winning one iota, but still it's unlikely and still it happens.

I would be willing to bet anyone here $100 that we make the playoffs.

What's more unlikely to happen. What Ottawa did, or us missing the playoffs as of this point? That's my point.

I'm just baffled at how many of you are proclaiming us 'pretty much shoe-ins'.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
I love these arguments, the ones that ignore the reality of being tied with 7 games to go and only 1 pt out of a playoff spot. That's not a cushion LOL, that's a dog fight.

How did I ignore that? I specifically mentioned it.

Let me ask you this, would you rather be in the Canucks, Kings or Flames position right now?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
A 7 game losing streak? Jeez, one loss again, and this team sucks (again) in peoples eyes.

ha ha yeah It isn't as if the nucks didn't bounce back from loses to teams like Buffalo or the yotes etc. When the avs spanked us 7-3 the team then went 6-1-0 run.

Mofletz

Aug 28, 2006
Worst case scenario after Saturday is what? We're tied with the tiebreaker on our side and 7 games left?

Should probably commit mass suicide is that happens. No point in living at the point.

then the back to back In St.Louis, Nashville, then the 3rd game in 4 nights in Chicago. Then the 4th game in 6 nights in winnipeg then come home and play the 5th game in 8 nights. And we all know how we love to use the first game back from a road trip excuse.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Ugly first 40 minutes. Plain and simple. This team frustrates me with how they don't show up sometimes.

Good 3rd period though.

On to the next game, the sky isn't falling.

I know that there's a cult of Willie Desjardins in VanCity, but ugly first periods aren't new for this team....in fact terrible first periods have become one of the disturbing hallmarks of this squad....they just don't look ready to play....not sure if it's coaching or preparation, but the Canucks seem to have no systems play to fall back on....teams just seem to pin their ears back and come after them on the forecheck, and they can't seem to stop the bleeding...lost track of the number of times the Canucks de-men ended up with puck with nobody to pass it you....terrible play along the wall and poor gap control....how they can play such a terrible first period, and then cough up another hair ball in the second?....can't the coach hit the re-set button between periods?....pretty disturbing.:banghead:

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC

Again, you're not listening. We are not tied, we are ahead of three teams. That matters. Three teams need to outpace us for the rest of the season. If we play .500 then all three teams need to play .550 to pass us. It's not impossible but the odds are favorable that at least one of them falters and only matches our pace.

It's just like in racing if you are ahead of six cars you are in pretty good shape regardless of how far ahead you are. The probability of all six cars being able to out pace you on the final lap is just not terribly high unless you crash.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
I can see why posters leave this forum. Some of your negativity is sickening.

We have a far better chance at making the playoffs then we do not making them. Yet some of you are turning grey from stressing about missing. Take a step back and relax. Until we are no longer in a playoff position stop worrying.

You just don't get it do you.

If the Canucks DO miss - let's be clear, this would suck for all of us - I hope you're the first in line to admit that you got too confident and naive about the situation. Nobody's jumping off the ledge and saying the Canucks suck. They're saying that, given the way the rest of the West is playing, the Canucks cannot be dropping easy-ish points like this. Things can flip around in a hurry. They're 7-3-1 in their last 11 and STILL only a couple points away from being out of the playoffs. A couple points.

I'm not panicking. Just being wary and keeping things in perspective. Not taking anything for granted until there's an 'X' beside their name in the standings.

Jun 15, 2014
How did I ignore that? I specifically mentioned it.

Let me ask you this, would you rather be in the Canucks, Kings or Flames position right now?

The Canucks. Of course, simple answer to a simple question. Does that mean we are guaranteed a playoff spot? Better odds doesn't mean anything.

You implied, with your over exaggerated sarcasm, being tied with a tie breaker with 7 games left in the season is not a big deal.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
What's more unlikely to happen. What Ottawa did, or us missing the playoffs as of this point? That's my point.

That's not a point, though. What Ottawa did means nothing. It's utterly irrelevant to this. Did you hear about the guy who won 7 million yesterday when the get well card his boss gave him had a winning lottery ticket? Do you somehow think that because our odds of missing are higher than that happening that we should be worried?

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Correct me if I'm wrong. But didn't we just get a massive win against them and it was more then just a moral victory?

It was a joke. Kings fans still bug us in their GDT about the 'moral victory' phrase we had against them, and it's hilarious.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
then the back to back In St.Louis, Nashville, then the 3rd game in 4 nights in Chicago. Then the 4th game in 6 nights in winnipeg then come home and play the 5th game in 8 nights. And we all know how we love to use the first game back from a road trip excuse.

Not sure what your point is. It's been talked to death that the Canucks play their best games against top competition.

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
You just don't get it do you.

If the Canucks DO miss - let's be clear, this would suck for all of us - I hope you're the first in line to admit that you got too confident and naive about the situation. Nobody's jumping off the ledge and saying the Canucks suck. They're saying that, given the way the rest of the West is playing, the Canucks cannot be dropping easy-ish points like this. Things can flip around in a hurry.

I swear to god I will be the first to admit I cheered on and believed my team could make the playoffs. I swear to god.

Jun 15, 2014
Again, you're not listening. We are not tied, we are ahead of three teams. That matters. Three teams need to outpace us for the rest of the season. If we play .500 then all three teams need to play .550 to pass us. It's not impossible but the odds are favorable that at least one of them falters and only matches our pace.

It's just like in racing if you are ahead of six cars you are in pretty good shape regardless of how far ahead you are. The probability of all six cars being able to out pace you on the final lap is just not terribly high unless you crash.

We were talking about a hypothetical situation, that could very well happen.

My point is not numbers, stats, odds, %'s.. My point is that we are in no way close to making the playoffs.

MIN - 91
VAN - 90
WPG - 90
LAK - 88
CAL - 87

Can teams lose 2 in a row? Yes. Can teams win 2 in a row? Yes. We aren't close to anything.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC

Do you think we'll go 0-5-0?

If we go 1-2-2 we'll have 95 points and two games left against the two worst teams in the west. And if we blow both of those games then well, what can you say really.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
The Canucks. Of course, simple answer to a simple question. Does that mean we are guaranteed a playoff spot? Better odds doesn't mean anything.

You implied, with your over exaggerated sarcasm, being tied with a tie breaker with 7 games left in the season is not a big deal.

I never used the word guaranteed. I posted the exact chances for each team.

Please stop putting words in my mouth. We are in a better position than LA and CGY. That's the point. But you and others seem to think that we have the tougher road. All I'm saying is We have a good shot, and I am confident they'll do it.

Jun 15, 2014
That's not a point, though. What Ottawa did means nothing. It's utterly irrelevant to this. Did you hear about the guy who won 7 million yesterday when the get well card his boss gave him had a winning lottery ticket? Do you somehow think that because our odds of missing are higher than that happening that we should be worried?

Did I say these two situation were related in any way?

A month ago EVERYONE was saying: "Well yeah, the East is all set, all that's needed is placement". And the Sens are now fighting for the last playoff spot after being down 14 points.

With that being said, how are we so ready to give the Canucks a playoff spot, when only 3 points separate us from playoff hockey and golf clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad