The 10 NHL players who just missed making TSN's top 50 list for the 2018-2019 season

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
I don't mind Draisaitl's spot on the list, until he proves he can drive his own line without McDavid.

After this season he will be top 35. Book it.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Knock it off already. This Toews bashing is getting annoying.

Is a statement that Toews is rated too highly considered bashing if it is true? If it is arguably true?

2015 is a long time ago. One objective measure of value (among many, no doubt, probably all with flaws) is the point share system that can be found on hockey-reference.

In 2016-17 Toews ranked 106th among NHL skaters.

In 2017-17 Toews ranked 168th among NHL skaters with 5.0 PS.

It's fine to argue that system is flawed, that others show Toews to be a top-60 player in today's NHL-but in view of his production decline and at least one measure of value having him nowhere close to the top 60 even with goalies excluded, I don't see how saying he doesn't belong in the top-60 is in any way unreasonable.

Zalos

Berktwad
Feb 2, 2009
Quebec
Price and Holtby should be in the Top 50. They only missed the cut because of their piss poor last season, which is a little understandable.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
I don't really get how you can justify both William Karlsson and Carey Price in the top 60. The former seems to imply a player's history doesn't matter, only last season while the latter implies the opposite. Weird.

Quite literally means the opposite.

Karlsson’s history is the only reason he’s not top 50.

Price’s history should have kept him in the top 50 too if history means so much.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Damn. Klingberg, who was a Norris candidate nearly the entire season last year until he tailed off, doesn’t make top 50. Have to think it’s because he doesn’t get enough attention and viewing in Dallas.

Agree with the rest. Price was awful last season, Point and Karlsson need to prove more.

Edit: actually, Byfuglien was snubbed pretty hard too.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
It depends if they include frederick anderson.

Nylander - Nope
Kadri - Nope

I can see Kadri getting into top 50, and Im not even a Leaf-fan. It all depends, he was Leafs best allround center last year, and the only one who steps up in the playoffs

goldenbladz1

Feb 11, 2015
p
Is a statement that Toews is rated too highly considered bashing if it is true? If it is arguably true?

2015 is a long time ago. One objective measure of value (among many, no doubt, probably all with flaws) is the point share system that can be found on hockey-reference.

In 2016-17 Toews ranked 106th among NHL skaters.

In 2017-17 Toews ranked 168th among NHL skaters with 5.0 PS.

It's fine to argue that system is flawed, that others show Toews to be a top-60 player in today's NHL-but in view of his production decline and at least one measure of value having him nowhere close to the top 60 even with goalies excluded, I don't see how saying he doesn't belong in the top-60 is in any way unreasonable.

Point share system? does it take into account Corsi, PK, FO%, defensively going up against all teams top lines?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad