9. ‘Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore’​

10. ‘Sonic the Hedgehog 2’​

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
What a year to be alive lol.
I mean, this is pretty normal isn't it? This is grossing films, at the theatre, and there's so many options through streaming now. Just out of curiosity I searched for the 2012 list and from IMDB you get (I'm assuming 'domestic'):

1. The Avengers
2. Skyfall
3. The Dark Knight Rises
4. The Hobbit
5. Ice Age: Continental Drift
6. The Twilight Saga - 2
7. The Amazing Spider-Man
8. Madagascar 3
9. The Hunger Games
10. Men in Black 3

I don't see anything particularly wrong or different this year, other than things have been weird since the pandemic.

Reactions: Osprey

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
1972:

I'd rather watch #1, 4, 7, 8, and 9, a dozen times each than anything on this year's top 10.

My Best-Carey

Reactions: Pink Mist

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
I mean, this is pretty normal isn't it? This is grossing films, at the theatre, and there's so many options through streaming now. Just out of curiosity I searched for the 2012 list and from IMDB you get (I'm assuming 'domestic'):

1. The Avengers
2. Skyfall
3. The Dark Knight Rises
4. The Hobbit
5. Ice Age: Continental Drift
6. The Twilight Saga - 2
7. The Amazing Spider-Man
8. Madagascar 3
9. The Hunger Games
10. Men in Black 3

I don't see anything particularly wrong or different this year, other than things have been weird since the pandemic.

It's been all about franchises for a while yes. Have my doubts it changes any time soon either.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Interesting that Dr Strange beat out both Black Panther and Thor. IMHO it was easily the best of the 3, but that specific franchise doesn't have the same draw as the other two

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Anybody remember Pogo: "We have met the enemy and he is us."

I think the whole approach to movie making has changed. Post maybe Jaws or the first Star Wars trilogy, the industry developed much more sophisticated research and marketing tools, with more emphasis on focus groups, consumer psychology and maximum profits. Major release movies became products and artistic merit became less of a concern than how many of us could be coaxed into buying tickets, more than once preferably.

That being said, for most years in the past, with some significant exceptions like 1972, lowest common denominator has almost always ruled. In 1970, for instance, Love Story made a ton more money than Five Easy Pieces. Now, though, lowest common denominator means super-hero franchises and it feels like it has all been dumbed down even further. But it's not like great alternatives aren't still out there, like this year's The Banshees of Inisherin. It's available for contemporary movie goers to watch, but the movie will be lucky if it breaks 10 million dollars. Ultimately, we get the kind of movies we deserve.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Makes me laugh when people complain about what movies become the top grossing these days. I for one most often go to the theater for the big spectacle movies that are often better seen on a huge screen and 3D. The list given for 1972 movies I am usually fine with watching at home on a 50 inch tv in a more relaxed and quiet environment and I think more and more people look at it that way.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Anybody remember Pogo: "We have met the enemy and he is us."

I think the whole approach to movie making has changed. Post maybe Jaws or the first Star Wars trilogy, the industry developed much more sophisticated research and marketing tools, with more emphasis on focus groups, consumer psychology and maximum profits. Major release movies became products and artistic merit became less of a concern than how many of us could be coaxed into buying tickets, more than once preferably.

That being said, for most years in the past, with some significant exceptions like 1972, lowest common denominator has almost always ruled. In 1970, for instance, Love Story made a ton more money than Five Easy Pieces. Now, though, lowest common denominator means super-hero franchises and it feels like it has all been dumbed down even further. But it's not like great alternatives aren't still out there, like this year's The Banshees of Inisherin. It's available for contemporary movie goers to watch, but the movie will be lucky if it breaks 10 million dollars. Ultimately, we get the kind of movies we deserve.
Is it really a problem though, and has it ever really been different? I mean humans used to pile into coliseum's to watch dude's kill each other or exotic animals, and let's not get started on chariot racing. In my opinion the big difference between the supposed golden era of movie making and today is variety of choice, and I don't just mean movies.

Like take The Banshee of Inisherin for example. Break it down and what are it's core components that make it good? I wouldn't know but I would imagine things like acting, cinematography, emotional depth, etc. Then ask what are people actually looking to get out of it when they go to a movie? Because that's going to be different from person to person.

Basically people shouldn't be surprised that the type of film that you probably need to have gone to film school to full appreciate isn't what sells best with the masses. And I'd say it's also kind of snobbish to suggest it should be otherwise.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Oh and besides this is all kind of moot point, because easily the best movie this year was RRR and it's not even close.

ramcharan-rrr-movie.gif

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Is it really a problem though, and has it ever really been different? I mean humans used to pile into coliseum's to watch dude's kill each other or exotic animals, and let's not get started on chariot racing. In my opinion the big difference between the supposed golden era of movie making and today is variety of choice, and I don't just mean movies.

Like take The Banshee of Inisherin for example. Break it down and what are it's core components that make it good? I wouldn't know but I would imagine things like acting, cinematography, emotional depth, etc. Then ask what are people actually looking to get out of it when they go to a movie? Because that's going to be different from person to person.

Basically people shouldn't be surprised that the type of film that you probably need to have gone to film school to full appreciate isn't what sells best with the masses. And I'd say it's also kind of snobbish to suggest it should be otherwise.
I guess I am a little confused as to how this is an accurate response to what I wrote.

One certainly doesn't require a film degree to enjoy The Banshees of Inisherin. It's a movie about a long-term friendship suddenly turned sour. Who can't identify with that? About the only requirement for watching it is that you are human. I don't actually give a hill of beans about what other people watch--that's their business and they can watch whatever they enjoy as far as I'm concerned.

Nor was I surprised by what sells to the masses. I was simply making a point about how we, the audience, have, perhaps unwittingly, contributed to movies being dumbed down simply by being predictable consumers, with the caveat that there are still tons of good movies out there if people only have the will to seek them out.

Reactions: Zeppo and Pink Mist

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea

1. ‘Top Gun: Maverick’​

2. ‘Avatar: The Way of Water’​

3. ‘Jurassic World: Dominion’​

4. ‘Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness’​

5. ‘Minions: The Rise of Gru’​

6. ‘Black Panther: Wakanda Forever’​

7. ‘The Batman’​

8. ‘Thor: Love and Thunder’​

9. ‘Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore’​

10. ‘Sonic the Hedgehog 2’​

Not that I expected it to flop, but a little surprised to see Avatar at # 2 considering it only came out a few weeks before the end of the year

I saw 6 of the 10 on the list, and will probably see most of the top 10 in the coming years for as long as my daughter is not "too cool" to go to movies with dad

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I guess I am a little confused as to how this is an accurate response to what I wrote.

One certainly doesn't require a film degree to enjoy The Banshees of Inisherin. It's a movie about a long-term friendship suddenly turned sour. Who can't identify with that? About the only requirement for watching it is that you are human. I don't actually give a hill of beans about what other people watch--that's their business and they can watch whatever they enjoy as far as I'm concerned.

Nor was I surprised by what sells to the masses. I was simply making a point about how we, the audience, have, perhaps unwittingly, contributed to movies being dumbed down simply by being predictable consumers, with the caveat that there are still tons of good movies out there if people only have the will to seek them out.
Ah I don't mean to disparage anything. With what I'm talking about in terms of a venn diagram I can add film buffs as overlapping with a film degree.

How you describe Banshees, you can find similar descriptions for tons of films that hit the indy circuit each year. What makes this one better than the others that it wins awards at Cannes I'm assuming and moves onto the regular box office in the winter? Any proper film you can break down into a number of different components/discipline, which you can outline with award category: Acting, Directing, Score, Casting, Cinematography, etc etc. What makes a "film" stand out is being a master craft in these various disciplines, but to properly appreciate these things you need to be invested in and/or have an understanding of the art form.

For most people they can probably get a sense that something's there but they're not really going to appreciate it, so I wouldn't say the people are an enemy to themselves (or whatever it was) because they'd rather see Top Gun or Avatar.

...Though I see what you're saying and I can see that as well, as kind of an extension of classic American Consumerism. Like when international movies hit Netflix, my favourite movie this year with from 'Tollywood' RRR and last year the favourite super hero movie I've seen in a long time was Minnal Murali from 'Mollywood' (these are similar to Bollywood but different regions of India). What's exceptional with these is while they have the premise/appearance of a typical Hollywood blockbuster they don't dumb the other things down. While I'm blind to all the film stuff I was talking about above what I do have a discerning eye for is story, being a fantasy/sci fi nerd with a love of long form fiction. I can see all the inconsistencies in a movie like Avatar but am used to shrugging them off as long as they don't get too bad. But the way some of these Indian industries make movies if they could do a move like Avatar they'd have all the cool stuff that draws the casual audience but the writing (among other things) would actually be good and without all those nagging little holes everywhere.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Avatar will be easily number one...if you include the money it makes in 2023 (it is a 2022 release). It appears it will get close to that $2 billion mark that Cameron claims is the break-even point for the film. I call bullcrap on that number.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad