The ‘terrible Flyers defence’.... not all that terrible

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
This whole "overrated" thing is dumb.

Very few, if any, Flyers fans have said we have a great defense despite what any numbers show. We have said we have a great prospect group to hopefully have a great defense someday.

Provy: proving he can be a number #1
Ghost: proving he can be a top PP Dman
Sanheim and Hagg are rookies.
Morin and Myers still in the AHL...TBA
Hogberg, Friedman, Bernhardt...still a few years away.

Expecting them to be great this year while AMac is in the top pairing and 2 rookies are playing would be dumb. It's a transition year on D. No more Streit, Schultz and MDZ. Next year will likely be the same with Morin and Myers making a push.

It's always been about the potential of the futur D core. Not when most of them are rookies or still in the AHL/SHL. But some people want to try and say the Flyers prospects are overrated, when they have yet to even get settled.

But so far, few complaints on how they have panned out. No busts yet. But this group is still a few more years away. Patience and time.

Reactions: Vikke

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Flyers have constantly been a top 15 team in defensive metrics even during the Bryzgalov ordeal.

I dunno about that... the last few years before this they have been average at best at 5v5.

2011-12: CA/60: 17th, EXGA/60: 25th
2012-13: CA/60: 27th, EXGA/60: 20th
2013-14: CA/60: 20th, EXGA/60: 13th
2014-15: CA/60: 19th, EXGA/60: 16th
2015-16: CA/60: 23rd, EXGA/60: 19th
2016-17: CA/60: 18th, EXGA/60: 13th

2011-2017: CA/60: 21st, EXGA/60: 17th

2017-18: CA/60: 13th, EXGA/60: 7th

I mean, not a great surprise. Since Pronger went down their #1 Dmen have been:

A close-to-retired Kimmo Timonen
Braydon Coburn
Mark Streit
Michael Del Zotto

Until Provorov came along.

With Provorov, Gostisbehere and Gudas this is comfortably the best top 3 Dmen we have had since Pronger, Timonen and Coburn in 2010-11.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
This whole "overrated" thing is dumb.

Very few, if any, Flyers fans have said we have a great defense despite what any numbers show. We have said we have a great prospect group to hopefully have a great defense someday.

To be fair, there was at least one guy who was very, very persistent in insisting that that "someday" was surely this year. Could be that that's what folks are remembering.

It's a sad reality that perception of majority opinion around here is sometimes determined by the largest number of posts rather than the largest number of posters.

Reactions: Tripod

Bobby Orr's Knees

Dec 17, 2002
Where it hurts most
Visit site
Our defense is ok on paper, at times ugly on the ice.

A 2nd year player is anchoring a group of two rookies, a prone to mistakes Ghost, a loose canon Gudas, and a guy who's a 7D on most NHL teams. The good thing is, Provorov's arrival brought a massive culture change. His work ethic and mental toughness are changing this team. The big question mark is the rest of our prospect / rookies pool. It remains to be seen how they do in the NHL. Ideally, we get an experienced well-rounded D in the mold of Anton Stralman to mentor the kids. It's not going to happen. So we'll just have to be patient.

Last edited:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
To be fair, there was at least one guy who was very, very persistent in insisting that that "someday" was surely this year. Could be that that's what folks are remembering.

It's a sad reality that perception of majority opinion around here is sometimes determined by the largest number of posts rather than the largest number of posters.
That could be....and if so, that guy is dumb...lol. Common sensed people have been saying it's in the possible future. Just like when talking great young defense, CBus and Carolina were always teams I put ahead because they were older and more established....more proven.

Expecting it this year from Philly is silly. It's also why the other things like trading Schenn and signing Eillott...it's always been about a few years from now because that's when the young D will just start getting settled.

But it is surprising that the Flyers have allowed some of the least 5vs5 against in the league given the young D and the stopgaps in net.

8th best GA per game in the league with 2 rookies, 1 sophomore, 1 freshman, AMac, Manning, and Gudas and Elliott/Neuvirth in net. I will take that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Viqsi

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
Two words, Bryan Elliott.

He has been very steady for us so far this season. I just hope he can handle the heavy workload. But really the Provorov MacDonald pairing has been lights out for us. Hakstol is spoon feeding Sanheim right now while Hagg, Gudas, Manning and Ghostisbehere are doing their part and doing it well. Yep I have been impressed with Elliott and do not miss all the drama we had with Mason in net these past years.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Just dropped in to say that 1865's avatar is super-ultra next level.
And that it's good the Flyers are improving, more meanness around Xmas time = doubleplus good!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad