Blue Jays Discussion: That's it: Jays win, but don't get help from TB/WSH & are eliminated from playoff contention

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
He's an out of shape bum. He cant pitch in the heat, he cant pitch late in games, he's extremely overweight. He is a major problem, a terrible investment and the reason the jays are out of playoffs.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Ryu was 3rd in Cy Young voting last year. 13th in the MVP voting. This year, yeah, he isn't that level, but is still T-12th in the AL for Quality Starts (T-33 in all MLB).

He's definitely had couple less elite starts this year than last, and has had a couple more poor games than last, but overall, he's still been very good, and looking at this year and last year in terms of "investment" he's been an incredible investment so far.

As I said before, he's probably the #4 in our playoff rotation, but that's simply due to Robbie Ray being a front runner for the Cy Young, Jose Berrios being Jose Berrios, and Alek Manoah looking like a phenom.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Single handedly lost his last 3 starts on his own. He's a huge reason the Jays are outside looking in.

Ryu's last 3 starts:

Last night vs Minnesota - Loss
Sept 11 @ Baltimore - Jays win 11-10
Sept 5 @ New York Yankees - Jays win 8-0

If you're going to have a silly tantrum about something at least have the decency to make sure that you aren't blatantly factually incorrect about the thing you're freaking out about. Even if you're going to argue he was bad in Baltimore (and he was) he did not lose that start, which is the premise of your post.

Westlander

the olden time
Aug 31, 2004
The Netherlands
Hi all,

I'm thinking of ordering a replica Jays jersey from the MLB shop, but wonder what the difference is between the Nike Royal Toronto Blue Jays Alternate Replica Team Jersey or the Toronto Blue Jays Nike Official Replica Alternate Jersey

There is quite a price difference between the two but I can't work out from the site what this is based on, maybe to do with the cresting? I can't examine them in the shop in person since I'm in Europe.

If anyone knows off the top of their head, I'd be grateful to know! The links are below. Thanks and if this isn't the place to ask this, apologies and I'll go bother someone else!

Men's Nike Royal Toronto Blue Jays Alternate Replica Team Jersey

Toronto Blue Jays Nike Official Replica Alternate Jersey - Mens

habamillions

Jul 9, 2009
Ottawa
They are down 10-0 now. I'll take one of Yankees or Red Sox losing because a win and we're back in. We don't need both to lose. So I'll take a Yankees loss, even if the Red Sox win.
Have to make it there 1st. But jays dont fair well vs cole so playing sale might be better. So im fine with yankees losing with sox and jays winning

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
Ryu's last 3 starts:

Last night vs Minnesota - Loss
Sept 11 @ Baltimore - Jays win 11-10
Sept 5 @ New York Yankees - Jays win 8-0

If you're going to have a silly tantrum about something at least have the decency to make sure that you aren't blatantly factually incorrect about the thing you're freaking out about. Even if you're going to argue he was bad in Baltimore (and he was) he did not lose that start, which is the premise of your post.
i posted the same thing then deleted it cuz that dude isnt worth the effort lol.

Reactions: HockeyThoughts

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
Hi all,

I'm thinking of ordering a replica Jays jersey from the MLB shop, but wonder what the difference is between the Nike Royal Toronto Blue Jays Alternate Replica Team Jersey or the Toronto Blue Jays Nike Official Replica Alternate Jersey

There is quite a price difference between the two but I can't work out from the site what this is based on, maybe to do with the cresting? I can't examine them in the shop in person since I'm in Europe.

If anyone knows off the top of their head, I'd be grateful to know! The links are below. Thanks and if this isn't the place to ask this, apologies and I'll go bother someone else!

Men's Nike Royal Toronto Blue Jays Alternate Replica Team Jersey

Toronto Blue Jays Nike Official Replica Alternate Jersey - Mens

i have both when Majestic made them. The more expensive one is much better in my opinion - especially the crest. but the material of the shirt is relatively the same in terms of breathability.

i got my authentic jersey which was MRSP of 300+ for about 50% less at the Jays Store at the skydome. Reason for the discount was because it was 2016 and we got kicked out of the playoffs so all the prices went down too

Reactions: Westlander

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
14 GR
need to go 8-6 to make the playoffs

Schedule:

BAL x 3
TB x 3
MIN x 5
NYY x 3

I predict we will go 8-6 in our last 14 and finish with a record of 91-71 and just might squeak into that last WC spot

2-1 vs BAL
1-2 vs TB
3-2 vs MIN
2-1 vs NYY

Reactions: Puckstuff

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
14 GR
need to go 8-6 to make the playoffs

Schedule:

BAL x 3
TB x 3
MIN x 5
NYY x 3

I predict we will go 8-6 in our last 14 and finish with a record of 91-71 and just might squeak into that last WC spot

2-1 vs BAL
1-2 vs TB
3-2 vs MIN
2-1 vs NYY
Tbh we should do better than 8-6 in these games. We should not be losing any games to Baltimore and if we play to the standard, we lose one more game to Minny at most. Tampa is probably taking it lightly as this point but then again, the Trop is the Jays' nightmare

I agree with the Yanks one, I doubt we sweep them again but I'd love for the team to deliver a huge blow to NYY in the rubber match like the Russell Martin game from 2015

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
He's an out of shape bum. He cant pitch in the heat, he cant pitch late in games, he's extremely overweight. He is a major problem, a terrible investment and the reason the jays are out of playoffs.

Ryu has been frustrating recently especially if you are expecting him to be an ace but he's still had a valuable year. If you look at his win-loss record (I know a stat that means very little) but since we're talking about W-L he's 13-9 which is a 59 % winning percentage and the team is at 56 % winning percentage on the year so he hasn't been costing us wins over the season, he's contributed. His 2.1 FWAR / 1.8 BWAR on the season is in the neighbourhood of being on par with what 2 WAR costs in free agency. It can cost approximately 9.1 million to buy 1 WAR.

Estimate of the Cost of a Win in Free Agency
OffseasonCost of a Win in Free Agency
2018$9.3 M/WAR
2019$7.8 M/WAR
2020$9.1 M/WAR
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Where we really got surplus value was in his first year. He made 7.4 million in 2020 (because players received 37% of their 2020 salaries based on playing 60 out of the usual 162 games) yet he delivered 1.8 FWAR or 2.9 BWAR so he greatly out performed his contract by a huge margin in the first year. He also got us a playoff spot which is hard to put a value on that but he was worth more then double what he was paid in 2020.

Over the course of his contract he's going to get 67.4 million (2020 covid adjusted) so it would be nice to get 7.5 WAR total over the course of the contract to be worth it and right now he's at 3.9 FWAR or 4.8 bWAR. At seasons end we'll have paid him 27.4 million and so far he's contributed 3.9 fWAR so our cost even if he doesn't play another game the rest of the year will be 7 m/ WAR which is less then what the average has been if you go by the 2020 numbers of 9.1 M/ WAR.

So he's actually been worth the money so far over the contract. Even if he doesn't play again this year he's been worth it over the last 2 seasons. Next year you could have a case but let's see how he adjusts. If he sucks next year then the criticism might be warranted at that time but let's see first so far I'll take what we've gotten in the first 2 years even if he's not pitching like a #1 ace right now but to say he's been a terrible investment or major problem doesn't make sense to me but we can re-visit it after 2022.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Jays offense has definitely bailed out Ryu...5.61 ERA since the ASB and the Jays are 8-4 in those games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad