Player Discussion Thatcher Demko

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
This is ALL Massive speculation here........no one actually knows shit
To a certain extent? I guess? In the playoffs, you won’t ever have a team come out and say one thing or another.

But you can kind of piece together things and come up with a rough idea, and I don’t really know why that bothers people.

Things that have been reported:

Same knee, not the same as the last injury, doesn’t require surgery, will take time to heal, not going to be back for this round. Dhali says late in R2, woodley says earliest is R3. You can look into grades of MCL sprains and see what aligns with that timeline.

How everything heals, his pain levels, and how much they feel comfortable with risking a more serious injury? who knows. It could be shorter, it could be longer.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
Grim

Feel so bad for Thatcher and the entire staff and players.
That's just the way she goes. Winning the cup or going far in the playoffs requires a lot of luck, and a lot of stars to align. Just likely not going to happen this time.

Slapshot_11

Aug 30, 2006
That's just the way she goes. Winning the cup or going far in the playoffs requires a lot of luck, and a lot of stars to align. Just likely not going to happen this time.
Demko getting injured is not luck or unlucky.. the guys body is broken and we need to get rid of him while this team still can contend for a playoff spot

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
How many number 1 goalies are available that would actually play well here?
I posted this earlier, but maybe any of Vejmelka/Ingram, Blackwood, Markstrom, Ullmark/Swayman (price probably too high), Gustavsson (if Wallstedt is ready), Gibson, Jarry, Husso, Merzlikins. Some might not be available or too expensive/too much term, but those are the options.

Bonham

Nov 24, 2008
Victoria, BC
When it comes to goaltending, there are the half dozen or so, consistent goaltenders who are likely to be in the Vezina conversation year-to-year, and then there is everybody else.

The first group never get traded -- pretty much ever (Luongo aside).

The second group gets recycled constantly by teams looking to solve their goaltending situation. This team is built around Demko, there is no other solution.

The right move is to find an upgrade on DeSmith to balance the load a bit more than what our backups have provided the last few seasons.

For the future, the team either drafts his replacement, or is content with league average goaltending.

Reactions: DimitriL07

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I agree that his durability(and longevity) is a concern, but I'd rather sign or trade for a 1B goalie who can start 30-35 games before just assuming that Demko will get injured most playoff runs like some here are.

I also still don't believe that he injured himself on the last play alone(which would be concerning), I'm convinced that Preds player running directly into his knee after getting pushed by a Canuck(PDG?) contributed to this injury.

Reactions: Indiana

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad