Player Discussion Thatcher Demko

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I’m so over the world we have this guy as our starter. I mean, he really makes us a great team.
Are you interested in some Numerology?

in the past 30 years Canucks had 2 goalies play in the all star game.

Kirk Mclean played in the 1990 and 92 all star games. He played in a finals with the Canucks in 94

Roberto Luongo played in many all star games with us. Made it to a finals in 2011

Thatcher demko played in an all star game for us, WE ARE GOING TO A STANLEY CUP FINALS BABY WOWOOWOWWOWOWO

• Love
Reactions: theguardianII

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
demko please be okay
With Demko, injuries are the 'elephant in the room'......Over the years he's had a series of injuries to his hips and his groin, and hasn't been able to stay healthy for a whole season during the entirety of his NHL career.

Hope it's not serious this time......but is a reminder that the Canucks and Ian Clark still need to keep beating the bushes for the next impact goalie for the Canucks.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
With Demko, injuries are the 'elephant in the room'......Over the years he's had a series of injuries to his hips and his groin, and hasn't been able to stay healthy for a whole season during the entirety of his NHL career.

Hope it's not serious this time......but is a reminder that the Canucks and Ian Clark still need to keep beating the bushes for the next impact goalie for the Canucks.
Overworked him this season.

It looked so good at first, they were getting DeSmith games regularly.

Feb 20, 2013
Demko is surely in Vezina contention this season. At this point it is likely between him, Hellebuyck, and Bobrovsky:

Demko leads the NHL with 34 wins, has the best record, 34-13-2, is second in GSAx (moneypuck) with 20.4. He is also top 10 in sv%, .917 and GAA, 2.47 among goalies with >20 games played. He is third in shutouts with 5. He is third in games played with 49, second in minutes and 4th in shots faced.

Hellebuyck sports a slightly less good, 29-14-3 record in 46 games, but has a better sv%, .921; GAA, 2.35; and crucially leads in GSAx with 27.9 to go with 3 shutouts.

In 46 games, Bobrovsky is at 18.3 GSAx, .918 sv%, 2.29 GAA, and is 31-12-2 with 4 shutouts. The biggest detractor for his case is that his backup Stolarz has better numbers, including a league leading .925 sv%, 2.02 GAA and a sparkling 14.1 GSAx in only 21 games to go with a 13-5-2 record. I would imagine FLA starts Stolarz against weaker competition, but this still means the team has a lot to do with the goalies' results.

In a similar vein, Laurent Broissoit has much better numbers (.924 sv%, 2.25 GAA, 8.8 GSAx in 17 games) than Casey DeSmith (.900 sv%, 2.85 GAA, -1.5 GSAx in 19 games). A person could really make the argument that Demko has benefited far less from team defence and perhaps situational deployment than Hellebuyck, which strengthens his case.

Another factoid of note is the shutouts. Demko is at 5, but that carries an asterisk since he is sort of at 7 with the shared shutout last night as well as the lone goal in the SJ game that was clearly goalie interference, but which Tocchet declined to challenge since he didn't want to antagonize the Sharks in a 10-0 game.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011

Easier said than done. You see younger goaltenders that were highly touted struggling in the league. Wofl, Dostal, Daws, Levi, Wallstedt (got shelled in his first start) and Schmid..

Our best bet right now is Silovs.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Demko is surely in Vezina contention this season. At this point it is likely between him, Hellebuyck, and Bobrovsky:

Demko leads the NHL with 34 wins, has the best record, 34-13-2, is second in GSAx (moneypuck) with 20.4. He is also top 10 in sv%, .917 and GAA, 2.47 among goalies with >20 games played. He is third in shutouts with 5. He is third in games played with 49, second in minutes and 4th in shots faced.

Hellebuyck sports a slightly less good, 29-14-3 record in 46 games, but has a better sv%, .921; GAA, 2.35; and crucially leads in GSAx with 27.9 to go with 3 shutouts.

In 46 games, Bobrovsky is at 18.3 GSAx, .918 sv%, 2.29 GAA, and is 31-12-2 with 4 shutouts. The biggest detractor for his case is that his backup Stolarz has better numbers, including a league leading .925 sv%, 2.02 GAA and a sparkling 14.1 GSAx in only 21 games to go with a 13-5-2 record. I would imagine FLA starts Stolarz against weaker competition, but this still means the team has a lot to do with the goalies' results.

In a similar vein, Laurent Broissoit has much better numbers (.924 sv%, 2.25 GAA, 8.8 GSAx in 17 games) than Casey DeSmith (.900 sv%, 2.85 GAA, -1.5 GSAx in 19 games). A person could really make the argument that Demko has benefited far less from team defence and perhaps situational deployment than Hellebuyck, which strengthens his case.

Another factoid of note is the shutouts. Demko is at 5, but that carries an asterisk since he is sort of at 7 with the shared shutout last night as well as the lone goal in the SJ game that was clearly goalie interference, but which Tocchet declined to challenge since he didn't want to antagonize the Sharks in a 10-0 game.

The funny thing is, I feel like he was better in 21-22, but because the team wasn’t as good, he only finished 7th in Vezina voting, while this year he’ll almost certainly finish top 3. Though this year is also a bit weaker for competition.

That said, I wouldn’t put too much stock in Broissoit having better numbers than DeSmith. DeSmith had great numbers when he was playing well early in the year and then they went down as he had a bad stretch. While I think advanced numbers can be problematic, they’re probably a better measure of team defense than comparing the backups numbers.

And while Moneypuck has Demko 2nd, evolving hockey and naturalstattrick both have him 6th, but Helly is 1st in all 3. Not to shit on Demko or anything, I just think it’s clearly Hellebuyck’s year unless he starts putting up a bunch more games like last night down the stretch

Last edited:

Petey But Really Jim

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
The funny thing is, I feel like he was better in 21-22, but because the team wasn’t as good, he only finished 7th in Vezina voting, while this year he’ll almost certainly finish top 3. Though this year is also a bit weaker for competition.

That said, I wouldn’t put too much stock in Broissoit having better numbers than DeSmith. DeSmith had great numbers when he was playing well early in the year and then they went down as he had a bad stretch. While I think advanced numbers can be problematic, they’re probably a better measure of team defense than comparing the backups numbers.

And while Moneypuck has Demko 2nd, evolving hockey and naturalstattrick both have him 6th, but Helly is 1st in all 3. Not to shit on Demko or anything, I just think it’s clearly Hellebuyck’s year unless he starts putting up a bunch more games like last night down the stretch
Kevin Woodley has DeSmith at only two goals surrendered all season that were not off of high danger chances, and I wanna say he has produced a result in 14 out of 18 appearances now? The backup is nails.

That said I have no idea what any of the rest of the convo is here. I just remembered a few DeSmith nuggets whilst seeing his name mentioned.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Demko to me was the best goalie in the NHL in 21-22 but just didn't get the votes because he played for a crap team and guys in easy situations put up better numbers.

He's been very good this year but agreed that he was just an extra bit more dynamic that year.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Seems to happen every year. They say they're going to ease Demko's workload and get the backup into more games.

Then you look up the numbers with under 20 games remaining, and he's at the top of the leaderboard in terms of minutes played and high-danger chances faced. And predictably he tweaks something, and goes down.

I hope this time, with the Canucks have a decent playoff cushion, that they shut him down for awhile. The Canucks need a healthy Demko in the playoffs to have a chance of going anywhere.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Seems to happen every year. They say they're going to ease Demko's workload and get the backup into more games.

Then you look up the numbers with under 20 games remaining, and he's at the top of the leaderboard in terms of minutes played and high-danger chances faced. And predictably he tweaks something, and goes down.

I hope this time, with the Canucks have a decent playoff cushion, that they shut him down for awhile. The Canucks need a healthy Demko in the playoffs to have a chance of going anywhere.
Said this on the Win game day thread that through 65 games which included the win game DeSmith started 17 of 65. Basically a pace that would put Demko at 60 starts. Disappointed that DeSmith had not gotten 2-3 more as I had expected him to pace at a 25 game start pace.

Have a 57-25 game split.

He likely gets that now but not at the pace you would liked to have seen.

Again, at this point in the season anything that was a bit off the team and Demko should have been more cautious with it. As they had 3 full days off before the Col game on Wed if he needed to sit vs Win or heck even a full week if he needed til the Wash game. They have a lead and are in a PO spot. Focus on health and how you are playing.

Reactions: Nopefully

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
There's never a good time to get injured but this is a great spot in the schedule for it to happen if it had to.
But, this was also a time when even if he didn't start, he could focus on refining his game with Clark, vs nursing an injury. At this point, mental break, but make sure everything is fine before he practices hard again.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad